Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a REALLY hard time staying primal =( Need encouragement page

lolawolf is offline Member

Having a REALLY hard time staying primal =( Need encouragement

Hey everyone,
    I've been having a REALLY hard time staying primal and trying to figure out what the heck to do to get my mind OUT of this icky funk!
    I'm breastfeeding my almost 5 month old&she needs to gain more weight too so the docs get off my back about giving her formula. She's totally alert&happy&tries to talk and all the good stuff, she's just really skinny&so was my son. He is STILL skinny&now a little over 2. He was a formula baby because I wasn't producing enough milk for him&ended up supplementing&it was a downward spiral from there. When he started solids, he was primal ALL THE WAY because those are the foods he asked for. To this day, he asks for meat/eggs/cheese - fatty stuff - and loves his veggies (proud mama here)! I keep trying to think "I gave birth naturally TWICE, I can do anything!" but it's not working
    Anyway, back to the issue - I've been extremely stressed out to the point of it affecting my milk supply, I always feel hungry...ALWAYS.Even right after I eat a decent meal.
    I need to recondition my brain to love veggies again because when I got pregnant with my 2nd bundle of joy, I would gag on veggies for some odd reason&am having a hard time eating them now. So definitely need more veggies.
    I am just always hungry and it's SO frustrating.And discouraging. I've thought about just fasting on tea with coconut oil and then I think I could never do that. Granted, I love food, and I love the act of chewing for some reason, so fasting on tea&coconut oil is... almost a depressing thought.
    Anyway, I would love to hear stories of how you overcame your battles.
    I'm also sorry if I sound whiny or like I don't understand primal, or if you just don't like my post, but I need help. I am so tired of hating the way I look and the way I feel, I just want to be able to love who I am so I can lead a happier life so my kids&husband don't have to live with a depressed, suicidal, fat cow.

BigBipper is offline Member
    Hello. I'm sorry that no one hasn't replied. I am going through the same thing. It is brutal. If us ever want to chat let me know.
    Get busy Groking or get busy dying. That's damn right!

Zach is offline Banned
    Please tell me that you and your son are not low carb...

pabs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Please tell me that you and your son are not low carb...
    +1
    Ones who try my curry are not ones to leave in a hurry

pabs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolawolf View Post
    I am so tired of hating the way I look and the way I feel
    Despite our vastly different circumstances, I can relate to you on that count. We punish ourselves way too much for the way we look. We go to inane extents to look a certain way and that affects the way we feel.

I have no experience in raising a baby, so it might not be my place to advice, but I feel you should be doing whatever it takes to be healthy, regardless of what you think it may make you look like. Eat, eat and eat. Don't worry too much about being primal. Visit the below listed website, you might find good advice and reassurance there:

Go Kaleo | Are you as tired of fad diet as I am?
    Ones who try my curry are not ones to leave in a hurry

I think my body just hates me. I try to eat less&my milk supply drops but if I eat the way I have been, I'll gain weight so it's really frustrating.
    I don't think I'll even be able to lose weight until after I'm done breastfeeding. I just hate feeling heavy&gross&like everyone's judging me.
    My son is low carb most of the time with the occasional fruit or rice. He REALLY likes rice, but usually asks for meat. Lately he's been on an "almond budder sammich" kick on gluten free bread since I introduced them to him recently.
    I try not to have many carbs but the more I eat, the more I want&I've been anorexic&now I'm a binge eater it seems like. Kind of other end of the spectrum I guess.
    I wanted to go primal again mostly to find out if it would make my milk supply fattier since I couldn't find any research about it that was conclusive. It was more like "well it depends on the woman, just like everything else". I make a lot of foremilk, don't have much hindmilk so I'm seeing if I can fix that myself before I feel even more like a failure.
    Stress is a huge factor, I think. I get close to having panic attacks and all I want to eat is sweet stuff. Or like... squishy baked goods.
    UGG.
    Heaviest - 4/28/11 - 190
    - 1/12 - 171.4
    - 07/12 - 160&got pregnant!
    - 11/12 - 150ish
    Losing fat but gaining baby? WOO!
    Goal - healthy, happy baby and happy mama!

I just want to feel pretty&I totally don't. My husband thinks I am beautiful, but I want to think I am, too.
    Heaviest - 4/28/11 - 190
    - 1/12 - 171.4
    - 07/12 - 160&got pregnant!
    - 11/12 - 150ish
    Losing fat but gaining baby? WOO!
    Goal - healthy, happy baby and happy mama!

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    Firstly, you are not a failure, if you have been feeding your bub for 5 months thats wonderful.

Please don't try to eat less whilst breastfeeding.

You will need loads of food. Relaxation is important too.
    I fed twins, and found that I was eating constantly, I drank loads of juice and water as well..
    When the girls were 1, I was 15kg lighter than before I got pregnant. Everyone is different of course, but when you finish feeding thats when you should worry about weight loss ( if you have any left to lose)
    While breastfeeding your metabolism is in overdrive.
    Not the time to worry about how you look but No. 1 priority is to nourish yourself and your little one.
    It's a hard road but totally worth it, and I'm sure your husband is right
    All the very best.
    Last edited by Slinkykitty; 08-28-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkykitty View Post
    This. You need to fuel yourself to produce milk.

Also primal does not have to be low (under 50) or zero carb. (Primal) carbs are fine to eat. Especially for your son! Growing children do NOT need to be low carb.

What are you eating now? List a day or two's worth of food.

I don't have much knowledge about eating disorders so I can't touch on that, but restriction tends to cause people to binge and go overboard later -- Your body wants the food you aren't giving it. Just include a wide range of foods (including good carbs!) into your daily diet, and you probably wouldn't feel the need to go overboard later on. It will quite possibly also help your mood. Low carb made me depressed and lethargic, it doesn't work for everybody.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkykitty View Post
    Firstly, you are not a failure, if you have been feeding your bub for 5 months thats wonderful.

You will need loads of food. Relaxation is important too.
    I fed twins, and found that I was eating constantly, I drank loads of juice and water as well..
    When the girls were 1, I was 15kg lighter than before I got pregnant. Everyone is different of course, but when you finish feeding thats when you should worry about weight loss ( if you have any left to lose)
    While breastfeeding your metabolism is in overdrive.
    Not the time to worry about how you look but No. 1 priority is to nourish yourself and your little one.
    It's a hard road but totally worth it, and I'm sure your husband is right
    All the very best.
    Totally agree with this.

Please, just eat. Lots and lots of good food, eggs, meat, fruit, veges if you feel like them, drizzle them in olive oil or dripping, or coconut cream. Butter. Nuts. Chocolate. Cheese. It's sometimes hard to get enough in unless you really go for the high-calorie stuff.

You can do the same for your little man. I've had underweight children and had to learn to make every bite count, no empty calories for them.

Pour yourself a nice drink before you sit down to nurse, the letdown will make you feel thirsty.

Also, not sure if baby is on solids yet, but you could probably start now with a teaspoon or so here and there in addition to her breastfeeds. Then maybe she will not need to be put on the bottle. But even if you do end up doing that, always be proud that you have still given her fantastic start in life by nursing her to date.

Very very best wishes.

Oh., and maybe you need to find someone to talk to, just in case you are feeling some version of post natal depression, it's very common.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast