Thread: Broken sleep - any suggestions? page

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member

Broken sleep - any suggestions?

Shop Now
    Hey there!

I've always been a pretty good sleeper, and can still at the moment fall asleep really easily. My problem is I keep waking up and not being able to fall back to sleep.

I have a new bed which I love - it's so much better than my old one, and as this interrupted sleep in newer than the bed, I don't think the two are related.

I have really bad sciatica and SI joint issues which also plague me when I'm trying to sleep and keep me awake.

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas or things they take (no pills!!) at bed time that give them an extra bit of help to get through the night.

Typically, I'll get back to sleep and then the alarm goes off, and I struggle to get up. I used to bounce out of bed after a full nights sleep.

Thanks,
    PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

SherryLRogers255 is offline Junior Member
    Magnesium as a supplement if you don't consider that a pill, but the thing that helped me the most was a 3mg extended release melatonin, but again that's a pill.
    I'm assuming that you have completely blacked out every single light source in your room, I even put 2 layers of black duct tape on my home phone as when it is in the cradle it has a small light on top.
    Good luck!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Are you properly physically exhausted from the day? A day in the garden on out in the bush, proper primal eating and a reasonable bed time all seem to help.

Primal eating combined with a hard out gym session seemed to solve my insomnia and took me back to sleeping like a log as I used to do before kids (that's 22 years). Admittedly, of late there has been a bit of a relapse usually related to emotional or stress reasons, or not enough exercise. but still doing miles better than pre-primal.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Resistant starch.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    I have been waking up in the middle of the night recently, too. In my case I get too hot, and then I start thinking once I am halfway awake. Last night I fell right back to sleep after putting essential oil of lavender on my pillow right near my nose.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I will throw in a few ideas....

1) When is your normal bed and wake time? The reason I ask is that it used to be fairly common, before electric, for people to wake up for awhile during the night. People would wake for an hour or so, read, talk, make babies, etc, and then go back to bed. Chaucer references it in some of his work as the "second sleep"....during the winter months when the nights are really long, it is common for me to wake for 2-3 hours before going back to bed. If this is the case I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people stress out over what is probably a pretty normal thing.

2) Eliminate all blue light, or artificial light from where you sleep. I use candles for reading for about a half hour before bed, fall asleep in 5 minutes As for any supps, there are others that can likely help you.

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys,

Lazarus - I'm aware of the 2nd sleep phase, and read alot about it aswell, it's just something new that is occurring, so perhaps my body just doesn't need to sleep as long as it used to.

I admit I'm perhaps not as physically exhausted as I could be at the moment on account of my injury. Sailing tonight though after work, which may lead to being more tired. Ironically - sometime when I am, I still wake in the night......

I have magnesium which I've recently started taking for digestion - by pills I meant the ones only doctors can issue with a piece of paper!

Thanks again,
    PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    For me, that kind of broken sleep occured when I was somewhat depressed. I took 5-HTP for a while to regulate moods and it also helped my sleep. When I didn't need the 5-HTP anymore, my sleep was not affected (stayed good).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).