Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Failure...always an option. page 5

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MIstressKiki View Post
    You seem to be punishing lapses with binges when maybe you should be asking yourself why you 'lapse' in the first place. Is it stress or is it a feeling that you somehow 'deserve' to be unhealthy?
    This was my pattern for a long time. Realizing that I could absorb a 500 or even 1000 calorie lapse now and then really gave me a lot more control over the bingeing.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Of everything you have said in this thread, these three are the most disturbing:

1. I have a traditional doctor.
    2. My wife has bad habits and is an ice cream addict and that affects how I eat.
    3. Sometimes I want to walk out to the back shed and hang myself.

You're in bad shape.

However, there is some good news here: You are NOT primal.** You have never been primal. Yup, this is actually GOOD NEWS! If you had truly been primal for 8 months and still hadn't seen improvement, then I'm not sure what would have helped you. I maintain that it takes upwards of 6-8 weeks of strict Primal to even BEGIN to heal, while you're current streak is about 5 days before backsliding. In other words, you've simply been starting over from Square 1, repeatedly. And failing. For eight months straight. No wonder you're depressed. But since you haven't been Primal yet, then Primal hasn't failed you yet either.

I suppose I should give some advice:

• Cut the wheat, NOW. Wheat is poison for almost everybody, and it sounds like you're more susceptible to it than others. The symptoms you describe are CLASSIC signs of wheat inflammation and wheat/sugar addiction, the type of symptoms that Primal diet is famous for helping.
    • If you have cravings, eat FAT. Lots and lots of fat. Fatty meats, fatty frozen pork sausage, plain salted butter out of the tub, guacamole, chicken thighs and wings. You'll feel full and a bit crappy, like you never want to eat again. That's the point. You'll be so busy digesting that full feeling that you won't want bread or even sugar. I wouldn't worry about how much fat you eat until AFTER you've kicked the sugar.
    • Read the book The End of Overeating by David Kessler. Kessler describes addiction to sweets and bread. Kessler also describes exactly what Owen was talking about: how industrial food is engineered to get you addicted, to keep you hungry, and to actually prevent you from feeling full. The chapter about the food at Chili's is especially disturbing. Those bastards in the food industry are killing people for a profit.
    • Look for in-person help. When you're at the gym, ask around to find someone on a low-carb diet, or is Primal/Paleo. IMO, your best bet is to look for a 50-60-year-old guy who's trim but not overly muscled, NOT somebody young. Young bodybuilder SAD guys can get away with bad diets and still look great, and young bodybuilders are arrogant anyway. However, if an older SAD lived on pizza, he might be muscled but he would still have a pudgy tummy. If the older guy is thin in the middle, he's probably low carb. (And an older guy will understand family stress). One thing I've noticed about Primal successes is that they love to help. They want to shout their own success from the rooftops and share that success and make others successful too. A Primal won't tell you to "stop being a pig and just lost the weight." A Primal will understand. And that Primal mentor will likely check up on you on the gym, ask how you're doing, and rejoice in your success. It's human nature: when someone helps you to succeed, he can claim part of that success.
    • Get your family involved. Does your wife even KNOW about your thoughts about going out to the back shed? And that her ice cream is contributing to that? This is a serious life/death/sickness/health issue! If your family doesn't want to be Primal, they should at least try to keep you on track. This sounds like a family project. "Daddy is sick and we need to help him get better, because we want him to be our Daddy for a long time."
    • Get a full blood panel from your doctor, and then find another doctor (if you have the insurance). Again, maybe some at the gym will know of a more open-minded doctor.

Good luck, and keep posting here with progress!

---------------
    **NOTE: There are some posters on the forum who will try to tell you that "Well, it's obvious that you tried Primal and it doesn't work for you. Therefore, you need to eat lots of carbs, as long as they are whole and unprocessed carbs." This is not true. You don't know yet if Primal will work for you. You're haven't really been primal yet!
    Last edited by oxide; 08-31-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBipper View Post
    You guys are good people. I actually anticipated I would get blasted by you guys out here. I am glad there was help and support waiting.

As I said earlier, I am 38. Male. Married with 4 kids. Weighting in at around 295lbs. Painfully addicted to things like Pizza and Chocolate. I have a desk job, but get to the gym about twice a week.
    I may be comin in a bit late here, may have been said already.

Baby steps, Reset, Do over,
    ,,,, want it ! (?)
    clear your head man, sounds like a lot goin on,,,
    strength man, head strong,
    read the book yet ? or just reading these forums ?
    there's a plan layed out in the book.

pizza ?
    clear the house of all the goodies (bad Shit)
    may be tough with 4 kids, and wife better buy in too,
    be your master. (theirs too)

walk every day you don't get to that gym,
    4 driveways, then one more each next day, that next corner, around the block, bring the family along.
    you'll get tire of walking, that's when you start jogging,,,

download primal fitness, read it too, gym yourself at home.

now I'm gonna read the next couple pages,,,

Quote Originally Posted by BigBipper View Post
    Someone mentioned cortisol levels which I understand are driven by stress? Well, I'm in a household that has 4 kids under 15 and I am wound like a golf ball all the time.

The house is shear chaos.
    Now we're getting somewhere,,,

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Supposedly higher vitamin C (1000mg) combats cortisol, the stress hormone. I take 1000mg spaced throughout the day just in case myself. You can try that...
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hang in here,
    I would actually suggest going back to your first post, pg 1,and reading the whole thing thru again.
    Lots of good posts and suggestions, better than mine, read them thru again, would the wife read too ?
    We're all in here with you,

Me? I'm getting back on track from August, = 6 family birthdays with cake, ice cream, and pizza too
    (is 1 month 20% of a year ?)
    hang in there,,,

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345