Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Failure...always an option. page 2

BigBipper is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Not sure if you're just venting, or if you want advice. You haven't provided enough information for anyone to give you advice. What kinds of foods are you eating? Why does your body hurt? Does it hurt all the time or just in response to physical activity? How did you abuse your body in the past (if you care to share)?

Anyway, without more info, no one can help you.
    This certainly started out as a rant/vent. But it was easy and quick to see that it was plea for help. I think if failure was the end game that I would not have even bothered posting something. I'm frustrated with myself. This has gone on for years.

When I was committed to the lifestyle, it was a lot of good meats, cheeses, eggs, dairy, dark chocolate. Most of it was organic/clean.

I am 38 years old. Still teetering around 300lbs. My hips joints hurt. They are tired of carrying the weight. Much of my abuse comes in the form of binges that would make a grown man blush. The other things I suffer with are sleep apnea, HBP, and GERD. All the usual suspects for one who continues to indulge.
    Get busy Groking or get busy dying. That's damn right!

Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Giving up on a good way of eating is never a good option. You can't "fail" good food.

I'm not sure what your health issues are caused by, but the primal way of eating isn't a cure for everything, and as many instances there are of maladies going away, it isn't a magic potion that fixes everything.

Have you seen a doctor?
    What is the context of your aches and pains?
    What is your current diet like?
    I have seen my doctor, but he is quite traditional. And increase in bacon and SatFats may not be what he orders for me. Much of my pain is joint pain. Low energy levels. Exhaustion. Oh, and a level of depression that has me understanding why a man would walk into his shed and hang himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Whats the longest you've gone without eating anything processed? I'm not in a position to preach at the moment as I've just had something of a blip in the last week, randomly began eating bread and cereal, - but it's pretty much the only time I've done it since going primal last November and my overall health has improved gigantically. I'm also about 50 pounds lighter and 100 times happier. I am probably the last person anyone who knows me would have said would have success with this, and i've surprised a lot of people. It's powerful. But I still attribute my success to the first four weeks and the fact that I did it in stages:

Week 1: Give up refined sugar
    Week 2: Give up bread
    Week 3: Give up all grains (inc cereals, pizza, pasta) and give up dairy
    Week 4: Give up legumes and start only using approved oils
    Week 5: Begin to refine the diet - looking at avoiding chemical ingredients, quality and types of meat.......

I'm reading a book at the moment called 'The Chimp Paradox' which explains that we have a chimp inside us that kicks off big time when we stop feeding it choccies and its favorite trigger foods - I have a feeling thats why the 'do it in stages' model worked for me, at least. It also gives the internal chimp the opportunity to develop a taste for paleo foods, and to realise that it is going to get them in plentiful supply.
    Owen, I think the longest I have truly gone is about 3 weeks. If I read anymore, my eyes will bleed. But I am still plugged in to hopefully become an overnight success after 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by skotcharu View Post
    Don't give up. Failure is an option, but it should the very last one.
    You are right. Failure will be the death of me. I can't do "Fat and Happy".

Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    Keep going! If you want, send along your stats and you'll hear from others with some of the same challenges you have, and what they did/how they did. This IS a more healthy lifestyle and you will gain health. But you and your body will regain that health in its own time/way. Someone on this board said that the thing they learned "most" in primal was patience.
    Me too...

Just don't give up your goals. Just find your own path towards them. We can help, or at least support you.
    You guys are good people. I actually anticipated I would get blasted by you guys out here. I am glad there was help and support waiting.

As I said earlier, I am 38. Male. Married with 4 kids. Weighting in at around 295lbs. Painfully addicted to things like Pizza and Chocolate. I have a desk job, but get to the gym about twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    It's time for sone hard love then. You know why you failed, what are you going to do about it? We can't give advice unless you're really willing to change. Do you have an action plan?
    I don't think I have much of an action plan in place...at least not just yet.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBipper View Post
    When I was committed to the lifestyle, it was a lot of good meats, cheeses, eggs, dairy, dark chocolate. Most of it was organic/clean.
    Can you tell us more about your experience with primal? Based on the list of foods above, it looks like you were pretty low carb when you were sticking to it. How many grams of carbs do you think you were eating when you were committed?

You're obviously struggling with primal. But how are you struggling? Do you just really crave non-primal foods? Does eating primal trigger binges?

I'm asking because I struggled with primal as well. When I first went primal, I ate less than 100 g of carbs per day (usually between 80 and 100 g) but didn't restrict calories. Eating less carbs and more fat didn't decrease my appetite so I couldn't lose any weight. So I reduced carbs even more--to less than 30 g per day. I basically went on a cyclic ketogenic diet. I'd eat ketosis-level carbs during the week and kept my calories to 1200-1500 calories. Then I'd carb up on the weekend to fuel my HIIT workout Monday morning. That totally didn't work well for me. The carb ups would turn into binges. Basically, I just realized that eating very local carb makes me want to binge on carbs.

Not sure if you have a similar problem. But high fat low carb doesn't work for everyone. It works for a lot of people, but not everyone. If you've been at it for 8 months and you've been eating high fat low carb, then it's likely that it doesn't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Can you tell us more about your experience with primal? Based on the list of foods above, it looks like you were pretty low carb when you were sticking to it. How many grams of carbs do you think you were eating when you were committed?

You're obviously struggling with primal. But how are you struggling? Do you just really crave non-primal foods? Does eating primal trigger binges?

I'm asking because I struggled with primal as well. When I first went primal, I ate less than 100 g of carbs per day (usually between 80 and 100 g) but didn't restrict calories. Eating less carbs and more fat didn't decrease my appetite so I couldn't lose any weight. So I reduced carbs even more--to less than 30 g per day. I basically went on a cyclic ketogenic diet. I'd eat ketosis-level carbs during the week and kept my calories to 1200-1500 calories. Then I'd carb up on the weekend to fuel my HIIT workout Monday morning. That totally didn't work well for me. The carb ups would turn into binges. Basically, I just realized that eating very local carb makes me want to binge on carbs.

Not sure if you have a similar problem. But high fat low carb doesn't work for everyone. It works for a lot of people, but not everyone. If you've been at it for 8 months and you've been eating high fat low carb, then it's likely that it doesn't work for you.
    I will attempt to give you a detailed reply from my phone. Please disregard any typos. My experience with primal has been short lived. I will say that I have been educated on the subject for a quite a short time, say 8 months. My actually experience of doing has been shorter.
    I will say that when I was committed that I was probably consuming about 80-100 grams per day. My struggles seem to come from just a weak mind and some temptations in my household.

I can honestly say that I have not been at it, or committed if you will, for 8 months. Something always derails me or I let it derail me. I keep yo-yoing. 4 great days, 2 bad ones. 5 great days, 1 bad one. 1 great week, 2 bad weeks. Never any consistency. I think this is why I have not gained weight during this time. LOL

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Hi BigBipper--
    The on-off thing, huh? Hmm--don't concern yourself with negative thoughts ("weak mind" isn't the problem!). You have some temptations at home, it sounds like--i assume you can't get them outa the house? If not, bummer.

Ok, maybe this might help: it sounds like you're on track for several days in a row, then fall off the rails. Assuming you are keeping track for what triggers that fall (time of day? kind of sleep the night before? stress at work? boredom?) in the meantime, you might try noting when you begin to feel that temptation coming, and then HAUNT THE HELL out of this forum. Anything to keep you on track. Read others' journals here, even if you don't comment. Cheer them on, even if only in your head. You will not feel alone, you will feel like you're helping others (even if in spirit only at that moment), and you will be reminded that this is a tough go for all but a few grokkers.

Also, try to make it a "I'm doing this for the next 24 hours" or "next 3 hours" or "next hour" or "next minute"--whatever you need to get past that temptation. Get up and go somewhere (where the temptation isn't there). Give your BODY a treat like a walk or an epsom salt bath with good smelling stuff (yeah, guys do that...!), something that will get you past that feeling. Cheer on when you do 5 days, instead of 4. Aim for short goals...and lengthen them when you get that under control.

But best thing ever--read the forums (stay away from the ones with the zealots arguing: they raise your cortisol!), comment or not, but you are part of a community. We're all here.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    But best thing ever--read the forums (stay away from the ones with the zealots arguing: they raise your cortisol!), comment or not, but you are part of a community. We're all here.
    Hey, those are the best ones!

So the on and off thing is pretty common when people first start. It's normal to take some time to get rid of old habits.

The thing that has helped me is to set realistic goals and take small steps. I find that, for me, trying to change too many things at once sets me up for failure. I was pretty inconsistent at first and struggled a lot as well. What worked for me was to give up one bad thing at a time. The first thing that I gave up was wheat. I think once you eliminate wheat, you eliminate a lot of the bad things that people eat. I just stuck that this one rule (no wheat) very strictly for a while, and, once that became normal and natural for me, I started eliminating other things as well. One thing at a time. (Actually, I did wheat and corn at the same time cuz I don't like corn anyway so that was easy for me, but, really, one hard thing at a time.) See if that helps.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast