Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF, weight loss, then weight gain. What's going on?! page

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member

IF, weight loss, then weight gain. What's going on?!

Shop Now
    I've been doing IF, 16/8 with an eating window of noon to 8PM. With this I do intense body weight exercises 4 days a week at 5AM. I take some MCT oil with my coffee before breaking my fast. I then go for a 2-3 mile walk at 4PM and snack after, last meal ends before 8PM. Long slow bike rides on the weekends, sprints every 10 days or so.
    I eat 100% primal and take in 40-60g of carbs a day. Not much stress, plenty of sleep, and never low on energy!

Looking at the scale my weight fluctuates from 156-162 every couple days, is this normal? Will the number eventually stabilize? I heard upping carbs may help, any feedback on that? I am 5'11", 27, male, looking to drop body fat and get around 152lbs.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    At the end of the day your total calorie consumption counts for a lot. If you're at an equilibrium and no longer burning fat, you may have to start eating a little less... Changing macros while consuming the same number of calories won't help much.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    You sound just like me :-)

Im about 5'9 though, 158 to 161 lean
    Same 16/8, same exercise.
    Same low stress

My weight variation can come for eating more on higher Carb days, less on lower Carb days.
    Also water retention from salty foods - eg if I eat too much fetta cheese and olives (salt) tonight I'll be 1 to 2 pounds heavier in the morning ( water retention) - I lose it as quick as I gain.

152 - You trying to get ripped? Are you carrying enough muscle?

I am trying to lean out and get more definition. I see results in the mirror but the scale throws me off.

I did some googling, looks like massive salads may contribute to water retention. I'm going to cut back a bit and see how it works.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Out of interest do you know your daily caloric intake, might not be the salads you need to look at?

I think it is the volume of salad I'm eating.

My intakes vary from 2,200-3,000 calories a day, protein 120-160 grams a day, fat 100-200 grams a day.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Maybe reduce the fat intake - if you provide your body enough fat in food - why would it need to look at fat stores for energy

Water retention is just water and is lost quick - who cares what the scales say - its more what the mirror shows.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    152 - You trying to get ripped? Are you carrying enough muscle?
    I agree that that sounds really light for your height. I am also 5'11" (and 27 y/o). In my early twenties (before I started weight training) I weighed in around 145. Now I'm right around 170 and I think I look more defined than ever, especially (surprisingly) my abs. My abs had less definition when I was lighter just because there was less muscle there. I'm not saying you should not lose weight (I remember a Leangains post where Martin posited that it was better to get super lean before bulking) but you might not achieve the look you are after without adding some muscle. Good luck with whatever approach you choose.

Jiggyz is offline Junior Member
    Sprint more, possibly some longer sprints. and be on the lookout for the usual culprits (nuts, dairy, too much fruit, salts etc.)

I too do IF M-F, however, over the weekends I tend to gain weight, as much as 10LBS sometimes. It usually drops off by Wed the next week.

Against the advice of the PB and this board, I like to weigh myself often, if for no other reason than to get a bead on my natural fluctuations.

I usually drop about 2-3 lbs overnight, before my morning constitutional. I usually lose an additional 2-3 lbs during the day, which I gain back after dinner and even more when I work out and drink lots of water. If I skip 2 or more work outs, I usually lean out pretty well, and feel great, which is why I tend to take a break form workouts every 6-10 weeks, just to make sure and avoid injury and to refresh.

At present I am 5'11", 46yo, and weigh in at 173-182lbs which is about 10% BF

You seem pretty lean already. One common thing I read is that muscle gain sometimes offsets fat loss-but I tend to dismiss it because unless you are male and less than 15% BF then it is extremely difficult to gain more than 2lbs/month in muscle while fat loss can occur much more rapidly. In tour case however, this might be the case, since it would appear that you have nowhere to go for more fat loss, and given your size and age, might be more prone to faster muscle gain than say, someone my age.

Be patient, in a few years things will change and you will start to naturally thicken up as we males tend to do in our 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggyz View Post
    Sprint more, possibly some longer sprints. and be on the lookout for the usual culprits (nuts, dairy, too much fruit, salts etc.)

I too do IF M-F, however, over the weekends I tend to gain weight, as much as 10LBS sometimes. It usually drops off by Wed the next week.

Against the advice of the PB and this board, I like to weigh myself often, if for no other reason than to get a bead on my natural fluctuations.

I usually drop about 2-3 lbs overnight, before my morning constitutional. I usually lose an additional 2-3 lbs during the day, which I gain back after dinner and even more when I work out and drink lots of water. If I skip 2 or more work outs, I usually lean out pretty well, and feel great, which is why I tend to take a break form workouts every 6-10 weeks, just to make sure and avoid injury and to refresh.

At present I am 5'11", 46yo, and weigh in at 173-182lbs which is about 10% BF

You seem pretty lean already. One common thing I read is that muscle gain sometimes offsets fat loss-but I tend to dismiss it because unless you are male and less than 15% BF then it is extremely difficult to gain more than 2lbs/month in muscle while fat loss can occur much more rapidly. In tour case however, this might be the case, since it would appear that you have nowhere to go for more fat loss, and given your size and age, might be more prone to faster muscle gain than say, someone my age.

Be patient, in a few years things will change and you will start to naturally thicken up as we males tend to do in our 30s.
    Thanks for your input, couple of questions, if you don't mind. What's your carb intake like? Any refeeds or loading? I've heard the "thicken" up term before, but it was meant more for fattening up, based on the SAD. Would a primal based diet and exercises mean this "thickening" will be more geared toward muscle gains?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast