Thread: Pre workout carbs page

onadraw is offline Member

Pre workout carbs

Primal Fuel
    I am eating VLC <20g to stay in ketosis for fat loss purposes but I would like to increase my workouts to include heavy lifting and some cardio. I think I need to eat some carbs before my workouts but I'm not sure how much or if I would need to wait a certain amount of time after eating to workout.

Right now, on VLC, I have plenty of energy for routine life including long walks and a small amount of physical work but I do not have the juice to do hard work or hard exercise.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Beginning: 7/23/13, 5'5" 221lbs * Current Weight: 10/31/13, 202lbs * Goal 165lbs

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    How much weight are you looking to loose?

As of today, I need to lose 40lbs to reach MY goal weight, 50 if I want to be the weight that the Doctor's sheet said I should weigh.

My Dr says I should get down to 155 but I'm not sure I want to weigh that little. I'm fat but I do have a fair amount of muscle. I won't know until I get there but my current goal is 165lbs.
    Last edited by onadraw; 08-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Beginning: 7/23/13, 5'5" 221lbs * Current Weight: 10/31/13, 202lbs * Goal 165lbs

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Try eating carbs post workout

Quote Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
    Try eating carbs post workout
    You could be right. I don't know but it doesn't make sense to me right now. I'm feeling that I may need to eat the carbs in order to have enough energy to do the workout. Once I do the workout, why would I need the carbs?

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onadraw View Post
    You could be right. I don't know but it doesn't make sense to me right now. I'm feeling that I may need to eat the carbs in order to have enough energy to do the workout. Once I do the workout, why would I need the carbs?
    To replenish muscle glycogen?

Do you feel like you need the energy or are you thinking you need the energy because it's generally been drilled into us to eat carbs before a workout?

When I do lifting, my last meal is often hours ago and not carb heavy at all, and I do great. Much better than I do if I eat something before it.

Eating carbs before a workout is not necessary.

Try carb backloading, which is what I inadvertently end up doing without thinking.

Guess I was looking at this wrong. I just thought I would be able to lift heavier and longer if I ate carbs before a workout. After my workout, I want to remain in ketosis.

Quote Originally Posted by guessqjj View Post
    I want to weigh that little. I'm fat but I do have a fair amount of muscle.
    We'll see when I get there. Part of that comment was about what I'm able to believe that I can achieve as far as weight loss goals. I'd like to be properly thin so I don't really know what that final weight loss goal will be.