Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could you recommend for me a good deodorant or cologne? page 3

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I just spent my first day wearing homemade deodorant and it worked great! I think I'm sold. I did 1/4 cup arrowroot powder, 1/4 cup baking soda, 6 tablespoons coconut oil.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    I just spent my first day wearing homemade deodorant and it worked great! I think I'm sold. I did 1/4 cup arrowroot powder, 1/4 cup baking soda, 6 tablespoons coconut oil.
    Thats so neat - I've known many who try to just get by w/ baking soda (bicarbonate) but it seems that the arrowroot is the trick! I read that coconut is high in something similar to aspirin (salicylate) and for those who eat and use it on their skin but who have an allergic reaction, changing to shea is a good alternative.

(Sorry I know you said it worked for you. Just sharing something that caught my eye recently.)

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I normally just rub some baking soda onto my still-moist underarms after a shower and that seems to work fine. I'm at a conference and forgot my baking soda so I'm going with nothing. I don't think nothing works for me. I hope it's not too bad for those around me. Today I'll just try seeing if the smelly lotion in my hotel at least masks some of the odor. It's kinda warm in Los Angeles, especially when we eat lunch outside in the sun.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    It was working for me. Now, not so much. I developed a rash. Any ideas as to what is causing it?

Here are the exact ingredients of my homemade deodorant:
    Arm & Hammer baking soda
    Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil
    Bob's Red Mill arrowroot starch/flour
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't use any and haven't for years. My SO would tell me if I smelled. If I find myself starting to smell, I just simply wash up in the bathroom.

Breezy111 is offline Member
    Edited
    Last edited by Breezy111; 10-13-2013 at 11:16 AM.

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    It was working for me. Now, not so much. I developed a rash. Any ideas as to what is causing it?

Here are the exact ingredients of my homemade deodorant:
    Arm & Hammer baking soda
    Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil
    Bob's Red Mill arrowroot starch/flour
    Sometimes too much baking soda causes a rash.
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I bought some GeoDeo this last time. Supposedly it's not harmful. Seems to work ok. Up until recently, I used Dry Idea, and am trying to use something without the aluminum. However, I am a sweater, and I must use something for the man-stink!

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I also have "that crystal rock." (you guys are talking about something alum?) Works well enough. Sometimes if I am especially funky, I will smell a bit like man, but that's cool with me.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Possibly too much baking soda for your skin preferences OR reaction to the salicylate in coconut. Can you try shea cream in place of coconut and slightly less soda?

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast