Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could you recommend for me a good deodorant or cologne? page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleodog View Post
    Just another perspective. I have not been using deoderant for at least 6 months now. Yes I am married and wife would be very quick to mercilessly tell me I stink if in fact the were the case. The reality is that since going Paleo I finally worked up the courage to try no deodrant and honestly I am glad I did. My body odor is much less since Paleo lifestyle. I hate the smell of colognes and deoderants. Also I do not use any shampoo and my hair looks much healthier and fuller and there is no "fallout" either. I am a male 53 years old 6 ft 155 lbs.
    Good point. I feel far less need for deodorants now that I'm eating better. The crystal rock thing I use is odorless, and just minimizes the festering of bacteria when I'm confined in businesswear all day, but I've gone long periods with a live-in girlfriend and no deodorant at all (and minimal soap and whatnot) with no complaints.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Since going Primal, much less smell. I've experimented with quite a few things. BS with essential oils, BS with water, essential oils on their own, CO on it's own...at the moment I use CO mixed with BS. Melted and combined then poured into an old glue stick container (thoroughly cleaned!). It works brilliantly and it's so convenient. It's just like using a 'normal' roll-on deodorant. I'm thinking of adding a few oils, for variety.

T.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Gun oil... works 50% of the time, every time.

Why would you want to de-odorize what you already have? You eat well, and you shower, right? You should be producing pheromones that the ladies love (and vice versa). I wouldn't want to prevent myself from sweating or from not smelling like I naturally do. If I really wanted a fragrance on top of that, I'd go into one of those snobby smokeshops and get some of their spicy stuff.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-27-2013 at 10:18 PM.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    I think there are safe alternatives but you do have to hammer down to find the information important to you...for example, I've heard males shouldn't consistently expose themselves to lavender, it has an estrogenic effect.

After using every freakin' natural product on the planet, I think this one is the best. http://schmidtsbeauty.com/Schmidts_Beauty/Home.html

Oddly, I too don't smell as much since going primal and I think getting a good sweat is healthy. I find that this stuff reabsorbs any wee sweat and I end up smelling sweet. After working outdoors in 90 degree weather and zero air conditioning in car. Love this stuff! You could make it like other people said but I think the trick is not to dissolve the powders too much in the liquids and rather, suspending them in the creamy ingredients.

Why do I love this healthy natural body products topic so much...it's an obsession

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    Lots of coconut-oil love in this thread, thanks for all the input.

The Schmidt stuff looks great too, I've taken a note of it to order later

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    After using every freakin' natural product on the planet, I think this one is the best. Home
    Aw crap, more things to buy and try. (but thank you, guess what i'm about to do)

I caved to my Degree today -- not for the odor but for the sweat in this 90F+ degree heat.

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    I stopped using deodorants/antiperspirants long before I went Primal. I can't remember why I did this. Today it's been about 80 degrees, I went to Crossfit this morning, and a quick sniff test reveals---not much at all.
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    In my husband's case, he's been primal for 3 years now (wait, it'll be 3 years in November), and while most of his gut issues are healed, reality is, the man still can have a strong odor.

But, since using the old coconut oil (and also reducing the number of showers and amount of soap he's using), he actually has hardly any smell at all.

So, i think it's a combination of gut healing/diet + less soap use on body (water rinsing.etc) + coconut oil that has done the trick.

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    I use the crystal. Some days, if I know I'm going to be outdoors alot, I'll supplement with some baking soda and/or coconut oil. I also have an all-natural deodorant from Chagrin Valley - love all of Ida's products. I've been buying her soaps, lotion bars, lip balms, etc. for years.

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    A google search has led me to see that baking soda is known as "bicarbonate of soda" here in Ireland. I'll swing into town later and see if I can pick some up. Cheers for the good replies

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast