Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Avoid Carrots? page 3

BeachGrok is offline Member
    I grow my own organic ones and use them sparingly in cole slaws and meatloaf type dishes. We also like to shred and add them to hamburgers (sans the bun). We also feed steamed ones to our kids since they really enjoy them. I toss them into the stock pot when making homemade stocks as well. I guess we are moderate carrot eaters.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Melissa Urban did a great post about carrots a while back.

http://whole9life.com/2010/04/crazytown2/

"Whole9 is still on vacation, so we’re re-posting an Urban Gets Diesel article from June 2009

I was having a conversation with my friend Melissa “Melicious” Joulwan via email last week. We were talking about post workout food, and she asked for some sample meals. I suggested a few things – salmon and sweet potato, a chicken breast and butternut squash, egg whites and – in a pinch, while on the go – a banana.

She responded with the following: “A banana?! Are you f*cking kidding? I haven’t had a a banana in a year and a half. I’m, like, over the moon with the prospect of eating a banana. I could weep, seriously. It feels like I’m doing something naughty even considering a banana. How f’ed up is that?”

Um, that is very f’ed up, Mel.

And it reminded me of my now-infamous Carrot Confrontation. I was participating in a discussion on a message board when someone asked what I eat in a typical day. I replied with a list of things I had eaten that morning – chicken, radishes, egg whites, spinach, olives… and carrots. I mentioned I had eaten almost an entire bag of baby carrots. At which point, another poster responded, “You should be careful about eating so many carrots. Carrots are pretty high in sugar.”

This response made me wish I had more middle fingers.

Because the day you tell me that CARROTS AREN’T THAT GOOD FOR ME is the day I give you the finger. Maybe even both. Which brings me to the following rant – get off the Carrot Train to Crazytown and think about it for just a brief moment. I’ll start you off. They’re CARROTS, people.

I could get all science-y here, and talk about glycemic index versus glycemic load. I could talk about how the all natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables are nothing like the mutated, processed sugar-like substances found in soda, Starbucks Frappuccinos and “healthy” whole bran muffins. I could also talk about how the “sugar” in carrots comes bundled with an amazing assortment of valuable vitamins and minerals.

But I’m not going to get all science-y here, because I’m trying to prove a point. Amidst the ridiculous volume of nutritional information floating around out there, the confusing statistics like glycemic index and potential renal acid load, all of the books and diet plans and recommendations and suggestions, it’s easy to lose the beta-carotene forest through the trees. So I’m going to recommend one simple thing.

Take a step back and use your head.

In the big picture, carrots are not “high in sugar.” Are they higher in sugar than, say, spinach? Sure. Should you eat five bags a day? Probably not. I wouldn’t recommend you eat five bags of ANYTHING a day, frankly. But if you feel like something sweet, I will applaud you for your healthy choice if you grab a carrot. If you want something crunchy to mindlessly gnaw on, I’m more than okay if you plow through an entire bag of carrots. If you don’t like vegetables at all, but can somehow manage to choke down a serving of carrots… I’m thrilled, because one vegetable is better than no vegetables.

If you read my stuff, you’ll know I am all for reviewing, analyzing and tweaking your nutritional plan. And I understand the fact that, when both choices are good, one might be more good. For example, I might counsel someone to cut back on dried fruit and eat the real stuff instead, for two reasons. One is simply practical – you can have more of the real stuff. (For the same number of carbs, you can have 1/4 cup of dried cranberries, or three cups of fresh strawberries.) A more pressing reason relates to those people who are in that initial “getting off the crack” nutritional phase. If you are trying to right a very upended insulin sensitivity, you don’t want to trick your taste buds into craving “bad” sweets with something like dried fruit (which has a higher concentration of sugar and the sweetness of candy). For those people, I may be a little more strict with fruit and vegetable choices – but only for the first few weeks, until their tastes reset a bit. But unless eating carrots are going to tempt you into a box Krispy Kremes, I am not going to worry about your intake. (And I seriously doubt a bag of carrots is going to be any kind of Gateway Vegetable.)

So let’s not be too quick to jump on the Carrot Train to Crazytown. Take a step back and think about your food choices from a rational perspective. Eating mostly meat, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits? You’re doing better than 99% of the general population. Want to take it further? Try to balance your fruits and vegetables on a bigger scale. Eat plenty of color, get plenty of variety, and fill every plate with leafy greens. But, like, you want a banana? Eat one. Want some peas, or a sweet potato, or some carrots? Have them. Because in the whole scheme of things, fruits and vegetables are still, as far as I know, good for you.

Except for corn, of course."

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Love the responses so far.

When the comment was posted on my blog that a lot of primal/paleo people avoid carrots, it really got me thinking... how could this be so? I don't see anything wrong with them. I will continue to eat my 1-3 raw carrots a day.

My mother just purchased a HUGE bag of the little organic carrots. As soon as the big ones are gone I will be diving into those like there is no tomorrow. The smaller one are usually softer too so I can add them to my daily big ass salad... yum!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I dont like the crunchiness of carrots, I guess I'm a freak in this thread! But I do love carrots cooked and mashed with parsnips and heaps of butter.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    How many carrots really make you orange?
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
    Love carrots. I'll eat them in my salads and steam them occasionally for a side dish at dinner. The problem about sites like this is you'll have individulas who heard how bad somehting is and just take their word for it. A lot of people don't understand the concept of doing the research yourself and seeing if it's based in reality or not. I think thats how CW got started.
    What is CW? Forgive me, I'm new. lol
    ~Sandy

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    I am happy to know that I do not have to give up carrots.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianwoman View Post
    I am happy to know that I do not have to give up carrots.
    Ditto.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Just thought, I bet they are nice dipped in sour cream too. Mmmm.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The Carrot Train to Crazytown

Because the day you tell me that CARROTS AREN’T THAT GOOD FOR ME is the day I give you the finger. Maybe even both. Which brings me to the following rant – get off the Carrot Train to Crazytown and think about it for just a brief moment. I’ll start you off. They’re CARROTS, people.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast