Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Avoid Carrots? page 2

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    HAHAHA! I remember lamenting about my 'addiction' in front of a close friend... she's definately a Convential Wisdom 'I wanna lose weight' kind of person... and i stopped and saw her glaring at me. She murmured a "F*ck you" I think to most of my friends I'm 'superfit' (pleeeeeease) and complaining about eating "waaay too many carrots" came across as a little... uh... i dunno, mocking(??) when their problems involve limiting themselves to ONE large baja blast at Taco Bell and 100-calorie-pack brownies... *cough*

Anyhow, when I have a 'really bad (primal) day' to me, like too much almond butter or a little high with the blackberries, I remind myself of times like that-- take a step back, that is, and evaluate your nutritional position in the universe!

-写 
    Last edited by ikaika; 06-02-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm really relieved to find out I'm not the only one who has turned orange. Whew!

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I use nutritiondata.com to check nutrients, I hope it's a reasonably accurate source.

I eat carrots most days - only 6g of carbs for half a cup cooked, and GI of 1 according to ND, plus I eat them in context of a high-fat, high protein main meal; sometimes raw with dip. Plenty of room for carrots in my maintenance diet 100g-odd carbs a day; I don't see why I'd drop them. Might be different for someone doing VLC for weight loss or performance.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    I eat carrots almost every day in small portions, a BAS isn't a BAS without a few carrots in it
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I eat a whole carrot (cooked; steamed) everyday! I love carrots, expecially when you cooked them! So SWEET! LOL! As far as the GI goes, yes, cooked carrots does have a higher GI than raw carrots, however, the GI does go lower if one eats it with some fat or protein. I eat mine with a tablespoon of coconut oil! Hail to coconut oil!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Love carrots, they are about the sweetest food on my "good" list, though. I have tried to avoid eating a ton of them at once, yesterday I made up yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, and at the end spinach, all sauteed in lots of good butter with some paprika and fresh pepper. Great side dish, and the carrots really make that kind of dish.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Noooooo! Roots and tubers are the O.G. veggies for most hunter-gatherers. Yeah, they tend to be higher on the GI/GL scale, especially those from tropical climes, where we did the bulk of our evolution. However, there is a huge difference between elevated postprandial blood glucose (after eating) and fasting blood glucose (always). High GI foods may theoretically raise insulin levels and thus fat storage, but it's nothing compared compared to the fat that is stored if your blood glucose is always sky-high due to too many Neolithic "foods." Eat clean, eat natural, and you get the green light to eat all the roots you like.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Nasno is offline Senior Member
    Since PB, baby carrots feel like a guilty pleasure (like tiny sugar bombs), but when faced with bowls of tortilla chips at recent Memorial Day events, they seem like the more responsible snacking choice.

A few months back we bought some heirloom carrots at the farmer's market, after pan roasting, they were like candy.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Haven't touched one in over a month after thinking they were too carby... almost ashamed to admit that! but I'll re-introduce them, probably only in stews, don't really care for them, never have.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I don't love 'em, don't hate 'em....the end up in some of the things we cook like soups and pot roast but I don't seek them out to eat on their own.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast