Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article on High-Rep Olympic Lifting page

quikky is offline Senior Member

Rippetoe's New Article on High-Rep Olympic Lifting

The Fallacy of High-Rep Olympic Lifting

One of my many complaints against programs like CrossFit, explained by Rippetoe himself. Good read, especially if you're doing this kind of stuff.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Well, this is why I use really light weights whenever we do WODs that involve high rep Olympic lifts. So even if my form starts to break down (or sucks to begin with--which is more likely the case), the likelihood of injury is fairly low.

To be honest, I don't especially like Olympic lifting--it's just too complicated for a beginner like me. But I put up with it and just use light weights and focus on technique because I love crossfit. And crossfit involves Olympic lifts.

At my box, we don't do the high-rep Oly lift WODs that frequently--maybe a couple times a month.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Also, I disagree that you should work on strength exclusively before starting to improve conditioning. I think conditioning is important, and I'm okay with working on both simultaneously, even if it means that the strength gains will be a bit slower because of interference from the conditioning workouts. (But, then again, I used to run almost exclusively so I'm heavily biased in favor of endurance training.) That said, I also don't think that high-rep Oly lifts are great for conditioning. Sprints, burpees, wall balls, and prowler are all superior. I hate the prowler though. Like really hate it. I think I may hate it more than burpees, which is difficult to believe.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Lol....

Here's what you need to know...

High-rep snatches or clean and jerks can be done safely by very experienced Olympic lifters. But they wouldn't do them anyway because there's no purpose.

The average person who does high-rep Olympic lifts is a walking encyclopedia of bad, unsafe, and unproductive form.

Snatches and clean and jerks, as technique-dependent lifts, fall apart easily in the presence of fatigue.

There's a time for conditioning, but there are better ways to do it than to perform the Olympic lifts like a jackass.

I didn't read past the above yet.... but, dudes got a point. Hell those lifts are too technical for me to perform low rep, let alone for time! But, hey I'm not a CF'er and anything more technical than a deadlift is currently beyond my expertise level.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    anything more technical than a deadlift is currently beyond my expertise level.
    Yeah, but the prescription for that is clear, and it's neither hundreds of sloppy snatches (see what I did there?) nor more cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yeah, but the prescription for that is clear, and it's neither hundreds of sloppy snatches (see what I did there?) nor more cowbell.
    I've suddenly got a hankering for an open faced roast beef sandwich.... Weird?

I've suddenly got a hankering for an open faced roast beef sandwich.... Weird?
    And we've officially sullied another thread with our filthy minds and dirty double entendres.

Congrats! Job well done.

And we've officially sullied another thread with our filthy minds and dirty double entendres.

Congrats! Job well done.
    Oh, It ain't over yet... The title says "Rippitoe" in it, so there is yet the obligatory Gorbag comment yet to come

Oh, It ain't over yet... The title says "Rippitoe" in it, so there is yet the obligatory Gorbag comment yet to come
    True. Can't wait for Crazy Uncle Gorby to drop by and add his opinion.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    True. Can't wait for Crazy Uncle Gorby to drop by and add his opinion.
    He's just hiding behind the beef curtains.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast