Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article on High-Rep Olympic Lifting page 5

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Lighten up! This is the Internet!

I like Gorbag, and I like the rest of you too. In fact, if I hated most of you, I wouldn't come here so often. Who wants to hang out online with a bunch of people they hate?

I hate Anthony Weiner though. I see the terrible politics, and I can't look past that, especially when the person in question is a politician. As for him being a dirty perv, I mean, if you're only referring to those pictures that he sent to some women--well, who cares. I don't even think it's a big deal. There's something sick about American society that if a politician has an affair or sends some pictures to some women online, then it's like OMG, how could they, how awful, they must resign! But if he votes to bomb hundreds of thousands of innocent people, it's a-okay. WTF, priorities, people!
    I'm actually a super easy-going person. I just don't respect people who call names, sling insults, make jokes about disabilities, and just generally act like asses to everyone. Countless threads that he has participated in have come down to him slinging insults instead of just debating the topic at hand. That dude acts like a scumbag on the internet because he's a couple thousand miles away from everyone. And I don't dig that

Zach is offline Banned
    Meh, high rep heavy power cleans and power snatches are great ways to get jacked and get some cardio in at the same time. Full olympics lifts for high reps is probably a bad idea especially for beginners. I hate all this pussified form policing though. If you have a few good years of heavy lifting you can push the limits once and awhile, not every rep needs to be prefect all the time.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Meh, high rep heavy power cleans and power snatches are great ways to get jacked and get some cardio in at the same time. Full olympics lifts for high reps is probably a bad idea especially for beginners. I hate all this pussified form policing though. If you have a few good years of heavy lifting you can push the limits once and awhile, not every rep needs to be prefect all the time.
    If you can do them for high reps, aren't they not that heavy by definition? And if they're heavy, isn't it truly impossible to do them for high reps? All this recognizes that terms like "heavy" are relative to the lifter in question.

Here's a recent quote from Rippetoe you might pertinent to the discussion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip
    If a 1RM displays absolutely perfect technique, it wasn't a 1RM.

quikky is online now Senior Member
    Meh, high rep heavy power cleans and power snatches are great ways to get jacked up and get some cardio in at the same time.
    Fixed that statement for you.

Full olympics lifts for high reps is probably a bad idea especially for beginners.
    Why are power cleans/snatches fine for high reps but not full ones? Are you saying that full squatting a clean is bad, but partially squatting (i.e. power cleaning) is safe for high reps?

I hate all this pussified form policing though. If you have a few good years of heavy lifting you can push the limits once and awhile, not every rep needs to be prefect all the time.
    Disagree. Form is always important, especially for more experienced lifters dealing with much heavier weight. If a beginner decides to get "jacked" and does some shitty clean and jerks for time with 95lb, he'll probably live. If a more advanced lifter decides to do the same with 225lb, the risk is greater. The only difference is that an experienced lifter, one that has been heavily training the Olympic lifts, will have enough of the movement pattern ingrained in them to prevent bad form degradation even when fatigue sets in. It's one thing of Dmitriy Klokov decides to screw around and do 30 clean and jerks for time, it's another if it's someone who's done some CrossFit for 3 weeks.

Lifts are almost never perfect, but the heavier the weight, the more important the form. "Pushing the limits" by slacking on form is a good way to injure yourself.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    If you can do them for high reps, aren't they not that heavy by definition? And if they're heavy, isn't it truly impossible to do them for high reps? All this recognizes that terms like "heavy" are relative to the lifter in question.

Here's a recent quote from Rippetoe you might pertinent to the discussion:
    Completely agree with that quote. Heavy to me is anything above 75% of 1rm i suppose. And when i say high reps i dont mean one strict set. I do a lot of drop sets or singles with only 10 seconds rest so that i can crank out a ton of reps at high weight in a short amount of time. Also with lifts that utilize power to accomplish them you can be much more fatigued and still pull a few more reps.

vincebae is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that vincebae is gorbag posting under another name? His english and grammar are bad (strike 1), he posted under a rip thread with no actual pertinent information to the topic (strike 2), and he is asking gorbag's advice on something (strike 3.)
    I hope that you are the only one.

Thank you so much about telling about grammar issue.
    I'm not a native English speaker, and I didn't know that having bad grammar can be one reason that someone think I am a different person that who I am.
    I was just curious about his thought on strength, and I also didn't know that I should not ask "advice" to gorbag.

Now, I read the gorbag's reply to my question, I found that he has a different philosophy from mine.
    I'm Pavel's advocate, and you should be able to find that I mentioned Pavel/RKC/SFG's works in my other postings.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Fixed that statement for you.

Why are power cleans/snatches fine for high reps but not full ones? Are you saying that full squatting a clean is bad, but partially squatting (i.e. power cleaning) is safe for high reps?

Disagree. Form is always important, especially for more experienced lifters dealing with much heavier weight. If a beginner decides to get "jacked" and does some shitty clean and jerks for time with 95lb, he'll probably live. If a more advanced lifter decides to do the same with 225lb, the risk is greater. The only difference is that an experienced lifter, one that has been heavily training the Olympic lifts, will have enough of the movement pattern ingrained in them to prevent bad form degradation even when fatigue sets in. It's one thing of Dmitriy Klokov decides to screw around and do 30 clean and jerks for time, it's another if it's someone who's done some CrossFit for 3 weeks.

Lifts are almost never perfect, but the heavier the weight, the more important the form. "Pushing the limits" by slacking on form is a good way to injure yourself.
    Again, meh. I hate arguing semantics because we agree on many things. All im saying i guess is its up to the individual to decide how far they want to push their body. Most peoples bodies are much more resilient then people think. Most can build up to an amazing work load. I also dont believe in strict set/weight routines and think people should listen to their bodies more. This goes along with that, if your form is break down horrendously then you should be smart enough to terminate the lift. On the other hand, if your form isnt perfect you should be able to know how far you can push it till injuries occure.

Btw i have equal hate for crossfit and newbies doing asinine stuff like high rep work for time with no regard for form, just as i hate powerlifters smashing their bodies to dust just to put up a bigger total. But then again im not a coach and dont really give a shit what others do, its their life.

Zach is offline Banned
    Oh and yea, full versions of the olympic lifts require much more mobility and technique, they are way more dangerous when fatigued then the power versions.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Are you really, really sure that you are not me vincebae? - because not on the rug seem to be borderline butthurt right now, and you will be in serious trouble if he find out that you are Gorbag after all...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Again, meh. I hate arguing semantics because we agree on many things. All im saying i guess is its up to the individual to decide how far they want to push their body. Most peoples bodies are much more resilient then people think. Most can build up to an amazing work load. I also dont believe in strict set/weight routines and think people should listen to their bodies more. This goes along with that, if your form is break down horrendously then you should be smart enough to terminate the lift. On the other hand, if your form isnt perfect you should be able to know how far you can push it till injuries occure.

Btw i have equal hate for crossfit and newbies doing asinine stuff like high rep work for time with no regard for form, just as i hate powerlifters smashing their bodies to dust just to put up a bigger total. But then again im not a coach and dont really give a shit what others do, its their life.
    I see what you are saying here, but the idea of "knowing" how far to push bad form before you get injured is silly. Injuries can occur even with perfect form. When it's your body vs progressively heavier iron, the iron always wins. Form should be paramount for all lifters from a 1st day newb to a 25yr veteran.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast