Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodyweight training: Are carb refeeds overkill? page

NothingLasts is offline Member

Bodyweight training: Are carb refeeds overkill?

Primal Fuel
    I currently eat pretty low carb (50-100g/day) high fat (150g/day) moderate protein (140g) and really like my results. I'm doing LHT bodyweight training twice a week with some gymnastics skill training and lots of slow movement on my rest days and just began doing a carb refeed of ~250 grams for my post workout meal (as I mentioned, twice a week). Is this amount of carb overkill considering that i'm not doing super intense barbell training like Stronglifts or Starting Strength? Does anybody else on the PBF plan incorporate refeeds into their post workout nutrition?
    I'm a 25y active male, 5'8 and 155 pounds looking to lean out a bit more and put on just a little more muscle.

Thanks

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Don't fear the carbs. I have found that neglecting them really was affecting my performance and even fat loss. Yes, you can lose fat eating high amounts of carbs.

My workout days I eat 200-300g carbs, in all forms - Fruit, sweet potatoes, molasses, honey, potatoes, etc. I try to mix it up so that I get various types of carbs based on what I am eating, whether it's with a meal, snack or a smoothie.

Just what I wanted to hear. It is such a psychological relief from the low carbing to enjoy a mound of starch a few times a week. Don't get me wrong, I love the high fat meals...but refeed days have lately been the thing to look forward to!
    I'm just worried that since my diet is pretty high fat at around 150g a day, that these 250g influxes of carbs in one meal might be metabolically damaging. I keep fat at 50g on the workout days to mitigate this, however

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, that's similar to the Leangains-style of cycling carbs. Keep fat low and carbs high on workout days. Lower carbs and moderate fat increase on non workout. Protein remains more or less constant. Seems to work for many out there.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Had the same experience.

I work out 4 days a week in the morning so I backload my carbs the night before and might have a hi GI carb after workout if its intense .

From London England UK

Nice. But I see that Martin and the folks over at leangains are focusing on deadlifts, heavy squats and other barbell related training sessions. I'm focusing on twice a week pushups and pullups (albeit one hand), pistol squats and planks, plus some gymnastics work (handstands, back levers etc) so I'd like to know if i'd be overdoing it by consuming 200g of rice and potatoes after these workouts. Even though i'm doing bodyweight, i'm sore a few days after training so I know that i'm pushing myself.

Also I put on 5 pounds (i'm guessing of water weight and glycogen) that's still here two days after my first refeed. So if i'm doing this twice a week in between low carb eating, does that mean i'm going to be perpetually bloated or will my metabolism perhaps adjust a bit so I can enjoy some periods of leanness?

Before refeed:

IMAG0008.jpg

After refeed:

2013-08-26 16.45.46.jpg
    Last edited by NothingLasts; 08-26-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Update: Just had an intense LHT session last night (added a backpack with 25 pounds weight) and finished with a post workout meal of tons of white potatoes, white rice and turkey. I was quite stuffed but I woke up this morning surprisingly lean and ready to take on the day. My muscles are sore as hell though - much more than I expected despite the intense workout. Is this a typical effect of eating lots of carbs PWO??

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingLasts View Post
    Update: Just had an intense LHT session last night (added a backpack with 25 pounds weight) and finished with a post workout meal of tons of white potatoes, white rice and turkey. I was quite stuffed but I woke up this morning surprisingly lean and ready to take on the day. My muscles are sore as hell though - much more than I expected despite the intense workout. Is this a typical effect of eating lots of carbs PWO??
    No... A sign you didn't eat enough protein.... Or maybe you just worked out harder than usual

I carb refeed once a week and I am not killing myself in the gym either... Just 3-4x of lifting lighter weights at high reps and some elliptical. I am 25 yo female if that makes any difference.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

steven.kelly is offline Senior Member
    Whatever the case, as long as you eat real food, that's the main thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast