Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 166

Thread: What makes you fat? This will be an interesting study page 13

  1. #121
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,183
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I usually (well, the few times a year I find myself stuck in a Starbucks) just say "give me a large latte made out of heavy cream" and then they ask "A latte with some heavy cream added?" and I go "No. Make the whole damn thing out of heavy cream."

    Yeah, then the little 16 year old kid has to go get the manager so he can explain to you there is going to be an upcharge for straight heavy creme. The bastards.

  2. #122
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, then the little 16 year old kid has to go get the manager so he can explain to you there is going to be an upcharge for straight heavy creme. The bastards.
    Dunkin Donuts won't make it with heavy cream no matter what I offer to pay. They say the cream can't handle being steamed or whatever. I always ask them why Starbucks can do it, and the pimply 16-year olds just kind of stare in dumbfounded confusion.

  3. #123
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    I think it's $16/lb for macadamias at my WF in South Florida.
    Here we pay anywhere from $50/kg up. Most places is at least $60/kg. So that would around the US$20/lb mark I guess. Luckily my new house has a mac but tree in the back garden
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  4. #124
    hedwards's Avatar
    hedwards is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Dunkin Donuts won't make it with heavy cream no matter what I offer to pay. They say the cream can't handle being steamed or whatever. I always ask them why Starbucks can do it, and the pimply 16-year olds just kind of stare in dumbfounded confusion.
    Can't handle it is a bit of a stretch. But, whole milk tends to be easier to foam than skim milk is. And Heavy cream is going to be even more foamy than whole milk. I'm guessing it's not so much that they can't do it as they don't get enough orders to get the process down. Dunkin Donuts is even less well known for quality coffee than Starbucks is.

    I can't handle dairy anymore, so when I switched from soy milk to almond milk, I found that it foamed to a ridiculous degree. I'd need about half as much to fill a cup with almond milk foam as I did with soy.

  5. #125
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,428
    Quote Originally Posted by hedwards View Post
    Can't handle it is a bit of a stretch. But, whole milk tends to be easier to foam than skim milk is. And Heavy cream is going to be even more foamy than whole milk. I'm guessing it's not so much that they can't do it as they don't get enough orders to get the process down. Dunkin Donuts is even less well known for quality coffee than Starbucks is.

    I can't handle dairy anymore, so when I switched from soy milk to almond milk, I found that it foamed to a ridiculous degree. I'd need about half as much to fill a cup with almond milk foam as I did with soy.
    Soy milk? Gross. Kill it with fire.

  6. #126
    hedwards's Avatar
    hedwards is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Soy milk? Gross. Kill it with fire.
    IKR. The last nail in the coffin on that was when I realized that both coconut milk and almond milk are the same price, with the added bonus of not having that nasty estrogen analog.

    I used to drink soy milk on a fairly regular basis, but it's incredibly sweet when it has vanilla and it doesn't really work that much better than the real thing, even for me.

  7. #127
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what was their consumption of refined vegetable oils?
    Hmm, sarcastic or facetious?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  8. #128
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Bill View Post
    1. It is very difficult to get fat overeating carbohydrate because the process it takes to convert it burns up a lot of the calories - Choco. This is completely false.
    If that's false, what is the truth, I wonder?

  9. #129
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Hmm, sarcastic or facetious?
    The answer is "no" because they didn't exist, so it was rhetorical. The point I'm trying to make is you can't compare a culture whose PUFA came from nuts, seeds and animals to a culture whose PUFA comes from rancid, refined vegetable fats. The argument seems to be two-fold:

    1.) Because Culture A ate X about of polyunsaturated fats, and it was double what's averaged in the SAD, it can't be polyunsaturated fat causing the disease.

    2.) Because Culture A ate more omega 3 than omega 6 and the SAD contains more omega 6 than omega 3, it's omega 6 killing us and that's the issue.

    I call BS on BOTH of those things. My argument:

    The PUFA in the American diet is largely chemically-extracted polyunsaturated oil that's been severely damaged in the process. Furthermore, it is stripped of the antioxidants of the whole food that protects it against oxidation upon consumption. You're comparing trans-fat ridden PUFA to whole nuts, seeds and animals high in PUFA.

    Furthermore, omega 3 is even more prone to oxidation than omega 6. If we ate the same oils extracted the same way but it was omega 3 in an 8:1 ratio to omega 6, we'd be in even worse shape because they would have even higher levels of trans fats.

    All this study shows is that trans fats are harmful, as THAT is what's high in the SAD. This study does not show PUFA in a positive light, it shows trans fats in a negative light! I am willing to bet that if Culture A did not have such high levels of PUFA it would have been even healthier. Whole nuts, seeds and PUFA from animals clearly are not as big of an issue as high-PUFA hexane-extracted rancid oils loaded with trans fats, but that doesn't mean nuts, seeds and PUFA from animals are healthy. It's just not nearly as bad, which gets a big fat DUH! from me. I still subscribe to beef, lamb, coconut and dairy as the ideal sources of fats.

    Oh yea, and chocolate. Seriously.

    Omega 3:6 ratio is a confounding factor. It's the trans-fats in the omega 6! Adding omega 3 to balance it out only adds more trans fats!!! REDUCE OMEGA 3 AND OMEGA 6 for best health. That's my advice.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-29-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  10. #130
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,428
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The answer is "no" because they didn't exist, so it was rhetorical. The point I'm trying to make is you can't compare a culture whose PUFA came from nuts, seeds and animals to a culture whose PUFA comes from rancid, refined vegetable fats. The argument seems to be two-fold:

    1.) Because Culture A ate X about of polyunsaturated fats, and it was double what's averaged in the SAD, it can't be polyunsaturated fat causing the disease.

    2.) Because Culture A ate more omega 3 than omega 6 and the SAD contains more omega 6 than omega 3, it's omega 6 killing us and that's the issue.

    I call BS on BOTH of those things. My argument:

    The PUFA in the American diet is largely chemically-extracted polyunsaturated oil, severely damaged in the process. Furthermore, it is stripped of the antioxidants of the whole food that protects it against oxidation upon consumption. You're comparing trans-fat ridden PUFA to whole nuts, seeds and animals high in PUFA.

    Furthermore, omega 3 is even more prone to oxidation than omega 6. If we ate the same oils extracted the same way but it was omega 3 in an 8:1 ratio to omega 6, we'd be in even worse shape because they would have even higher levels of trans fats.

    All this study shows is that trans fats are harmful, as THAT is what's high in the SAD. This study does not show PUFA in a positive light, it shows trans fats in a negative light! I am willing to bet that if Culture A did not have such high levels of PUFA it would have been even healthier. Whole nuts, seeds and PUFA from animals clearly are not as big of an issue as high-PUFA hexane-extracted rancid oils loaded with trans fats, but that doesn't mean nuts, seeds and PUFA from animals are healthy. It's just not nearly as bad, which gets a big fat DUH! from me. I still subscribe to beef, lamb, coconut and dairy as the ideal sources of fats.

    Oh yea, and chocolate. Seriously.
    Couldn't you say the exact same thing about refined vs. whole carbohydrates?

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •