Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As a surfer, where do i stand?! page

CJG
    CJG is offline Junior Member

Cool As a surfer, where do i stand?!

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone!

I found this style of life after being really sick (iron deficient) from being vegan and trying to be raw for a few years. Lets just say it was a crazy transition to eat red meat, give up caffeine, etc. all in one day. I have a history of trying to be lean but it is always cut short because i love to enjoy life. I found that on primal i don't have to restrict myself and i haven't gained... anyways... back to the topic i want to ask..

I am Female, 25 years, 5'5 and when I'm eating comfortably 145-150lbs.

I have very lean and toned legs, arms, and back. The kicker is i have a bit of the tire around the belly. I have basically been trying to lose the last 10-15 lbs for the last 3 years, and i don't care how many pounds (it could just be 5) i have to lose, i just want the belly gone! i can pull off looking good in clothes, but I spend half my life in a bikini... in which i cower.

I am an avid surfer. I surf every day, twice a day if i can, i used to compete, and i on an off do hot power yoga (it gets expensive). I am so lost as to where this falls on the level of activity. Because i do it so much, it really doesn't feel like an exercise. Its not crazy cardio, its not lifting weights... I'm not overly fat (even though my weight makes me seem like it), and i can tell i have strong muscles under that spare tire.

Ive tried to lower my carb intake, i did keto for awhile (basically GAPS) and yes i was losing weight, and i had muscles, but they felt like they didn't work at all... no energy, the whole "carb flu thing." right now I'm hanging at around 60-100... and i feel different, but i sometimes can't tell if I've lost or gained. it almost feels like my body is changing shape. I don't want to feel weak in the water, and even though I've been doing this for 8 months, when my carb intake is low, my surfing is no good.

When i read blogs about athletes, it just seem so specific to people who are doing gnarly endurance training, etc. So i really don't know where i stand as to how many carbs i should be consuming to maintain my muscle, energy, and lose the fat.

is my lifestyle considered active?

Should i look into carb cycling?

how many carbs should i be consuming?

the more i dig the more I'm lost.

when i eat a lot of carbs i feel horrible, and when i eat very little, i feel horrible. Just trying to find a balance so i can lose the excess and keep it off, yet maintain surfing!

I would stand on the board if I were you. it makes the surfing part easier. but that's just me...

honestly, I perform like crap when I am low carb. sometimes a moderate approach works for people (around 100g daily, maybe more if you are active) and sometimes cycling works for people. overall, you probably just have to lower your daily caloric intake a little bit. maybe post up a few days worth of your daily diet and then we can critique it and give you pointers

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    HEEEEY Surfie surf! I went out with a surfer, and surfed quite a bit myself for five years. Surfing is an amazing fitness tool - you've got the resistance training aspect of swimming, plus co-ordination, plus HIIT. If you're getting two good sessions in the waves a day (and because you used to compete, I'm presuming that you really go for it) then you are definitely living an active lifestyle.

First question everyone's going to ask is: how many cals are you consuming a day?

Also how much fat are you eating? The whole primal paradigm is based on eating fat in favour of carbs, but if you hang around the forum for a while you'll hear people's personal experiences, and many of us (younger women particularly) do not do well on high fat low carb.

For someone as active as you, I'd recommend shifting your diet in favour of carbs. You'll get more out of your sessions, and as long as you keep your total calories in check you'll lose fat.

Unfortunately the belly is the last place to go, and sometimes it can take years of honing the diet to get there.

One more thing: you said you were on GAPS. Do you have gut issues? If so, part of your belly may be bloat. Not necessarily good news, as this can be just as hard to shift as fat...

Welcome to the forum

Ps. Where do you surf?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I would stand on the board if I were you. it makes the surfing part easier. but that's just me...
    Damnit! Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Damnit! Beat me to it.
    you're getting slow in your old age...

you're getting slow in your old age...
    I'm even slower... I only just got the joke
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm even slower... I only just got the joke
    maybe you should stop googling pictures of women in yoga pants? on second thought, don't stop doing that. in fact, do more of it..

maybe you should stop googling pictures of women in yoga pants? on second thought, don't stop doing that. in fact, do more of it..
    Ironically, this morning I was googling "hot male surfers". I"m an equal opportunity oogler

I really need to take my job more seriously.

- Ray Peat

Ironically, this morning I was googling "hot male surfers". I"m an equal opportunity oogler

well...keep those pics to yourself.

I think I've become the zen master of balancing hard work and internet usage.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You really need to understand that your job of providing us with eye candy (of the lady variety) is as important as any of your other supposed obligations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast