Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry in advance...Poop questions... page

rkm
    rkm is offline Junior Member

Sorry in advance...Poop questions...

Primal Fuel
    Need some advice...I have been very strict paleo for almost 3 years now (including no dairy, except yogurt mentioned below), but for the life of me can't figure out what is going on with the old digestive system. Other than this issue, I feel great (better than any other time in my life!), but this one item has left me very frustrated. Like the last piece of a puzzle I just can't solve.

In short, overall my "movements" are quite soft (I almost NEVER have constipation, quite the opposite, very regular). Not runny, but definitely soft. Seems like the start is ok (sorta firm) most times, but the "finish" is very soft/pasty/sticky and well, er, messy. Thank goodness for toilet paper. If I were a caveman (no toilet paper, maybe some leaves or pine needles though ), I am sure I would be a miserable creature.

I have tried just about everything I can think of to solve this...More veggies, less veggies...More fat, less fat...more carbs (sweet potatoes), less carbs...probiotics (pills, raw vinegar, sauerkraut, yogurt, etc.)...no nuts, a lot of nuts...some fruit, no fruit...blah, blah...NOTHING seems to make any difference. Consistency is roughly always the same, no matter what/how I eat.

My digestive system seems OK otherwise, with no distress for the most part...Note I do 16/8 intermittent fast 7 days/week (and have done so for about two years now).

Please help! If this is just the way it is supposed to be, and it is not really health issue, but more of an annoyance, fine, I will just live with it. But I have to think this is indicative of some kind of digestive issue.

Thanks for help and sorry for gross topic...But I am desperate!

...RKM

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My personal experience has been the reverse. I had never been constipated prior to primal, but now sometimes my body seems to have reclaimed too much water, making it all too hard.

How much fruit do you eat?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jammies is offline Senior Member
    What kinds of probiotics have your tried?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well there is the BRAT diet for firming up diarrhea. At least portions of it. My son reduced his significantly and has much better firmer stool when we include plenty of egg pancakes (2eggs/1banana mixed togeather and cooked) and 24 hr homemade yogurt. He has more bouts of diarrhea with too many grapes or juice along with any gluten grains. Thats our experience.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-25-2013 at 07:46 PM.

rkm
    Hello All...Thanks for feedback. To answer the specific questions:

- I eat almost zero fruit (actually, as I think about it, I can't recall the last time I had any fruit!)
    - The only pill-form probiotic I have tried is Florajen3 (must be refrigerated). Seems like all it did was make my stomach upset. I think I took it for 2 (maybe 3?) weeks. Maybe I didn't give my body enough time to adjust?
    - Haven't heard of the BRAT diet...Will take a look.

In general, is such an issue usually due to gut flora being out of whack?

Thanks!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yep.

What comes out of your bottom can only really have one of three causes:
    1. what you put in your pie-hole
    2. how your body digests it
    3. how your bacteria digest it

They are all of course interrelated, since if you suddenly go low carb, the bacteria which like to break down your starches into glucose suddenly find they are in the middle of a desert. They die off, and different bacteria grow into the new 'environment' of your intestines.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    Are you taking magnesium? I was having this problem and realized my multi vitamin had a form of magnesium that was causing it (the same for as in natural calm). I stopped taking it and switched forms of magnesium. And voila
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

rkm
    Nope, not taking any magnesium supplement.

So does anyone have any suggestion as to how to solve this? Even though I have tried before, maybe eating more sweet potato could help (as it relates to my gut flora)?

Should I try same (for longer period) probiotic? Try different type? Any suggestions as to good brand?

Thanks

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Any other digestive symptoms? Gas, bloating, gurgling...

Can you walk us through an average day of meals for you?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I've had gut issues for YEARS and recently have had success with eating a diet low in fructose. See this chart. Also, I drink a bottle of Kombucha daily and it is very soothing to my gut. I also take a daily probiotic. Foods that are highly fibrous (like greens) will result in diarrhea, as will chocolate and sugar.

Good luck -
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast