Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Sorry in advance...Poop questions... page 8

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I have found potato flour and am trying that - I cant find potato starch? I'm in the UK - perhaps potato flour here IS starch? Anyway, I'm using a mix of ground chia seeds, potato flour and tapioca flour. It seems to be working well.....
    If you mix the potato flour with water and it turns to a gummy mess--it's not what you want, it's just cooked potatoes, dehydrated and ground up. If you mix it with water and it all settles to the bottom unchanged, it is raw potato starch--that's what you want.

Can you give me a brand name and link to the product? Everything I've seen called potato flour is just ground up, cooked potatoes--no resistant starch there.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If you mix the potato flour with water and it turns to a gummy mess--it's not what you want, it's just cooked potatoes, dehydrated and ground up. If you mix it with water and it all settles to the bottom unchanged, it is raw potato starch--that's what you want.

Can you give me a brand name and link to the product? Everything I've seen called potato flour is just ground up, cooked potatoes--no resistant starch there.
    It is Infinity Foods potato flour, made by Baldwin and Sons. Mixed with chia seeds, and tapioca flour and water, it does go gummy - I assumed that it was the Chia seeds doing that, as they manage to do it on their own! Perhaps I had better keep that as a thickener and stick to the tapioca flour unit I find potato starch!

I have just found this link

Potato starch and potato flour: what

which states that Infinity Foods Potato flour is made from raw potatoes and is starch... though further confirmation of this fact would be useful.. I shall email them!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I have just found this link

Potato starch and potato flour: what

which states that Infinity Foods Potato flour is made from raw potatoes and is starch... though further confirmation of this fact would be useful.. I shall email them!
    It looks like what they sell is starch. You can do an easy test--put 1TBS in 1 cup of water, mix well and put in the microwave for a few minutes. If it's flour, it will come out like a dumpling. if it's starch, it will turn into a clear jelly that looks just like hair gel.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I think that Ener-G Egg Replacer is pure potato starch, used as a thickener in place of egg whites.

Also, how many macadamia nuts does the OP eat? I found that fatty nuts and seeds can have a similar laxative effect on me: well-formed at the start and a bit loose at the end. But I need either a lot of nuts at once or nuts every day to get the laxative effect consistently.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

rkm
    rkm is offline Junior Member
    Hello Oxide...Regarding the mac nuts, very good question....

I do eat a lot of mac nuts (only nut or seed i eat, usually ~1/2 cup every day), and had read that this could cause stool softening (they have quite a lot of fiber). So, in the past I have not consumed them for 1-2 days at a time to see if this was issue and had not noticed a difference. However, I can't recall the last time I went a week or longer without eating any mac nuts! Maybe I need to go for longer period of time to see difference? I will go ahead and start this extra "experiment" today and go for full week with no mac nuts to see what happens. Not going to be easy as mac nuts are like crack to me!

And FYI for others...Now at 1.5 weeks consuming 1-2 TBS potato starch mixed in yogurt and still no difference (if anything, it might actually be little worse).

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    It looks like what they sell is starch. You can do an easy test--put 1TBS in 1 cup of water, mix well and put in the microwave for a few minutes. If it's flour, it will come out like a dumpling. if it's starch, it will turn into a clear jelly that looks just like hair gel.
    I don't have a microwave. Presumably I could do the same in a saucepan and see what happens?

Tara ATX is offline Junior Member
    Hmmm...I like this poop thread. It's actually something that's been on my mind lately, but for different reasons than the OP. I was a spoiled happy twice a day-er for all my adult life. Then I quit smoking. I know nicotine is a stimulant (its been a month since I quit) and with my AM coffee it did the trick but now I even skip days, which would have been unheard of before and which I do not like one bit! I hope this is simply an adjustment period and not a permanent thing. I always thought my "business" end to be quite reliable and I liked it that way.

biko is offline Senior Member
    Damn!
    Just bought the wrong one.
    No tapioca to be found, so I bought potato flour, which should've been starch.
    The flour won't work at all?

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biko View Post
    This guy who used to do my taxes turned out to be a piece of sh!t, you want his address?
    Well played sir, very well played.

rkm, it probably will take at a least 3-4 days to see a difference from stopping the macs (if the macs are the cause). If I go through a 6.5 oz jar of macs in 4 days or so and then stop, the looseness effects being to show after 1.5 days, looseness for about 2 days, and then 2 days of nothing. I guess I'm so emptied out that I need to build up more waste. Also, my gut will feel kinda "tired" inside, as if spasming out all that looseness was a hard workout.

And you've been chowing 1/2 cup macs a day, every day without stopping, for years?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast