Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry in advance...Poop questions... page 5

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Not sure if you have depression/anxiety as your siggy suggests, but at any rate, you may find this interesting: Gut feelings: the future of psychiatry may be inside your stomach | The Verge
    I do! I've read quite a bit about the link between mood disorders & gut health. I will read that tomorrow!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    How would you recommend leaning out, i.e. cutting, the stools after this bulk cycle? You don't want to bulk up your poop too much, since that will adversely impact fecal aesthetics.

(Sorry, this thread is just too fun)
    Hydrate, salt, and magnesium citrate to keep them bulky and easy to pass.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, itís all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

biko is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Here's the deal with beans...they need to be fermented and then brought to a boil/simmered for a long time. This does require some forethought and time, so dry beans are never a quick meal.

Here's an easy way to add beans to your diet: Buy a bag of beans, black beans, pinto beans, garbonzo or kidney--whatever strikes your fancy. Dump them in a large bowl, cover with water, leave on counter for a minimum of 8 hours, maximum of 48 hours. Do not rinse until you are ready to cook. You will hopefully see a lot of frothy bubbles on the surface of the water after 8-12 hours, this is good. If they emit a kind of unpleasant spoiled milky odor, this is also good. This is the fermentation you are after!

Just prior to cooking, drain and rinse a few times. Put the beans in a crockpot on high or big enough pan to cook in. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down until they are simmering. Cook time will take 2-4 hours depending on bean type and heat. Don't cook them at a low temperature, they must be boiled for at least 10 minutes at some point.

When beans are to your liking, eat them however you want. Some people put a ham hock or some other boney, type of meat in with them for flavor and meat. Spice however you like.

Put the leftover beans in freezer bags, tupperware, whatever, in individual serving sizes. Thaw these out when you want beans. They make excellent refried beans, soup, mix with rice, eat plain--they go good with everything.

Here is a paper on what happens to beans when fermented if you like reading such things: Fermenting Beans

Basically, what happens in the fermentation is the bacteria eat away at the starchy cell walls and change the way your body can digest the beans. It turns fiber into glucose and galactose. Degrades almost all saccharose. Increases available starch and resistant starch. Degrades almost all the Raffinose (this is the fart-maker!). Also, the main anti-nutrients (trypsin inhibitors and tannins) decreased by 50-80%.

Cooking fermented beans does these things: The glucose, galactose, saccharose, raffinose, and resistant starch are all converted to insoluble fiber. The available starch increases. Anti-nutrients such as trypsin inhibitors, tannins, phytohaemagglutinin, and apha-amylase inhibitors are completely removed.

Freezing cooked, fermented beans converts a large portion of the available starch into resistant starch.

Basically, fermenting the beans prepares them for cooking. Cooking prepares them for eating. Freezing leftovers makes them even better.

Canned beans are a poor option, IMO.
    Thanks for your elaborate answer, I will ferment, cook and freeze the #$%^$ out them and see what happens!

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    Hydrate, salt, and magnesium citrate to keep them bulky and easy to pass.
    I don't want my poop bulky. I want sculpted, chiseled poop.

otzi Guest
    I have been cooking one bag of beans every couple weeks. I freeze the leftovers in ziplock sandwich bags--they are the perfect size for about a cup of beans. I put a bag in the fridge the night before I want them and they are thawed out the next day. Too easy.

If you eat corn, there are some good tortillas out there with ingredients: limed corn, salt, palm oil. I fry up 3 slices of bacon, then fry a couple tortillas in the bacon grease. Put the beans in the pan with the rest of the bacon grease and heat them and mush them up. Spread the beans on the tortilla and put a bacon strip on top with some cheese....

rkm
    rkm is offline Junior Member
    Quick update...Been doing the recommended 1TBS potato starch (mixed in yogurt) since Monday and have seen absolutely zero difference. Maybe just need to give it more time? Should I increase starch dosage?

Thanks

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rkm View Post
    Quick update...Been doing the recommended 1TBS potato starch (mixed in yogurt) since Monday and have seen absolutely zero difference. Maybe just need to give it more time? Should I increase starch dosage?

Thanks
    This weekend, up it to 2-3TBS/day. It definitely takes a bit of time, your gut microbes need to adjust themselves. Here is an interesting study, if you like reading such things. In it, they compared using natural resistant starch vs. manmade RS.

RS Study

Out of the six subjects that showed an increase in Bifidobacterium adolescentis with RS4, five did also manifest an increase with RS2 [potato starch is RS2]. However, RS2 induced a slower gradual increase with higher proportions in week three of consumption when compared to week one.
    In this study, they used 33g/day of RS. 1TBS of potato starch contains about 8g. 4TBS is 32g, but most people really get to farting on 4TBS if taken too quick, hardly anybody does at 2TBS. Your mileage may vary.

rkm
    Thanks Otzi...Not being a patient guy in the least, today I just decided screw it and went right to 3TBS potato starch (mixed in yogurt). I thought for sure there was going to be an explosion, literally, but here I am 3 hours later and, well, nothing, nada, zilch. Everything is very (strangely) quiet down there. Not sure what to think. Maybe the calm before the storm?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rkm View Post
    Thanks Otzi...Not being a patient guy in the least, today I just decided screw it and went right to 3TBS potato starch (mixed in yogurt). I thought for sure there was going to be an explosion, literally, but here I am 3 hours later and, well, nothing, nada, zilch. Everything is very (strangely) quiet down there. Not sure what to think. Maybe the calm before the storm?
    Actually, I'd say you will be fine. It is probably indicative of poor gut microbes that you haven't gassed up, give it a few days. From what i've read and seen, it takes 3 weeks for things to completely even out. It's cheap, what your doing, and safe, so what have you got to lose?

rkm
    Thanks...Nothing to lose, and not concerned in that sense...But like I said, I am an impatient guy

Flatulence or bust!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast