Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic Pills, Food Villains and the Avoidance of Personal Responsibility page 5

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Genetics have very little to do with it and are just a scapegoat. 67% of families are overweight, and overweight parents brainwash habits that create overweight children that grow up to be overweight parents. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The problem with your entire post: it's wrong.
    Can you please tell me which of my peer-reviewed citations to the fact that obesity is roughly 2/3rds genetic (or epigenetic) are invalid?

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    "Let's get one thing clear: I don't ask questions on MDA. That's not why I come here. I come here to answer questions people have. Whether or not you listen to me is of no consequence to me. You have absolutely nothing to offer me. If you don't want my advice, don't take it.
    That's interesting. What led you to decide that you are smarter than everyone else?

JS

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I am not sure about the statement regarding the bread. I grew up with bread, every day I went to the local bakery and bought 2 or 3 baguettes. Every time I came back home about 2/3 of one was missing, already in my belly. The stuff is so tasty, the smell so spell-binding when it is still a little bit warm from the baker's oven that you simply cannot help, hungry or not. 30mn later, with almost a whole baguette in my belly, I became ravenous and had to eat half of another baguette at least, but this time with more foods, whether they were french fries, pasta, what-not, bread was there too. When I was old enough to drive a car, I would then drive to the bakery ... but ate even more bread!!

So what was driving my behavior ? something in the bread maybe ? Today, I don't eat bread and I am not ravenous all day long. I eat carbs all right (potatoes, rice, even pseudo-grains sometimes, plenty of fruits in season) yet I am not ravenous. It is the nutrient density I believe, and the very small amount of anti-nutrients. That is what drives your eating behavior: the body's hunger for the needed nutrients and bread offers nothing but a fake impression of nutrition

KiteKasia is offline Senior Member
    so to simplify: If High Carb then Low Fat but if High Fat, then Low Carb?

KiteKasia, if that was that simple, nobody would argue here. I eat white rice with butter or duck fat, lots of fruits and fatty meats, etc. No problem, I have been at it for quite a while now to convince myself that it is my ideal diet. I am neither low carb high fat or the opposite, I just eat non toxic stuff according to taste, without stuffing myself all day long and I work out because I like it, not because I want to look like a top model. I like this relaxed attitude about food, which resonates well with my French side

Missimia is offline Junior Member
    so to simplify: If High Carb then Low Fat but if High Fat, then Low Carb?
    This is how I operate. The only deadly diet is high fat, high carb with a calorie surplus imo. I think some people do better on LFHC and some do better on HFLC. Both will keep you slim. For me, I ate an extremely low fat vegan diet for about a year - fruit, plain potatoes, plain rice, lots of big salads and veggies for protein. Yeah, I wasn't fat, but I sure didn't feel good. I know other people on that diet who are kicking ass and taking names, and I would never call them liars, but it didn't work for me. I finally feel great on HFLC, but I know people that this diet isn't working for. If they want to call me a liar, whatever. I'm secure with my decision.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Can you please tell me which of my peer-reviewed citations to the fact that obesity is roughly 2/3rds genetic (or epigenetic) are invalid?
    So if obesity is explained by genes, does that mean that whether I eat crap or paleo that I'm doomed to be fat? I'm on board for the role of genes, but you STILL have to treat the obesity with a lifestyle of eating healthy foods and getting exercise.

We have ALL seen obese people making rotten food choices and many of us who were obese made rotten food choices. Most people who reduce calories and clean up their diet and work out lose weight and if they regain, it's old habit returning.

You have to eat less. How you do that will vary- low fat/high fat/portion control. You have to eat that way ongoing- you can't go back to old habits. It would behoove you to eat a variety of foods. But there is no magic formula that will allow you to eat enormous amount of calories because you avoid eating X food. You may think that, but track your calories....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I don't believe that any of those studies are remotely convincing in proving that obesity is CAUSED by genetics....that is a strong word....there is a very big CORRELATION between overweight people having overweight children (not exactly news), but to say that one just inherits being fat in the same way one inherits height or eye color (in which there is a direct, well known, genotype to phenotype relationship) is not at all accurate. That is the overwhelming consensus.

As for the article, I found its overall point to be non-helpful and tired. Explaining to people that they are fat because they are lazy and eat too much is not exactly ground-breaking. Also, I have found that for a lot of people, neither of these attributes is actually true....while there is indeed a need to inform people that in general, their health is 100% up to them and to use a victimization mindset to cure it idiotic, there is also a depraved need on the part of some to say that "others" are fat because they have a personal defect....they are inferior to me, Mr Thin Man.

This second line of thinking is far more destructive than the first. The psychological damage done by implying that obesity = personal defect has ruined a lot of people's lives, so any article that uses it as its central premise I will oppose.

The fact is that an entire industry exists that sells commodity crops, sold at subsidized and fixed prices, breaks them down, and sells them. When you go to a store, any store, their products fill up 85% of the space....to even further help them, it is also the cheapest food there is....and most of it packs a caloric and insulin-inducing punch that cannot be found in nature.

The arguments in our own little circle about WHICH approach of fat vs carbs for cals is all fine, but the outside world and the huge impacts of having cheap commodity crops available to all is not a minor factor to our problem. Explaining that our country of 300+ million is fat because they are all lazy and crush too much food does nothing to advance anything for anyone. It is just more of the problem.

Are the obese victims? No. They did that themselves....are they all sloths? No. Most of them would walk into oncoming traffic to lose weight, but are forced to operate in a diet and food system that is bent only on sensationalism and profit.

Just to add a small remark: genes are not just a static frame. They "interact" with the environment and switch on or off depending on that interaction. So it is probably more a question of gene expression to be tweaked optimally. Isn't that what Sisson is saying in essence ?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    The genetic predisposition toward obesity can be expressed or hidden. Mine was expressed before Primal Blueprint, now it is hidden. But the way my body packs on muscle is remniscient of the way it packs on fat, so genes are at play for sure. I change comp fast if I really work out a lot. Then I have pokey muscles in my armpits when I'm trying to sleep and my shirts don't fit and I remember I don't like it that much. :P

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Explaining that our country of 300+ million is fat because they are all lazy and crush too much food does nothing to advance anything for anyone
    But if that is the reality- too little physical activity with too much food, what good are we doing anyone to say "genes" or "gluten" or "carbs" or "fat" is the demon?

I don't think people are lazy, I think they are inactive/sedentary because they are too busy doing other things. They need to know that they need physical activity. They need to know that they need to figure out a way to eat less and still meet their nutritional needs.

The reality is that there are all types- people who are lazy and eat too much food and watch too much TV. Then you have the working mom spending 8 hour work days, hours shuttling kids around, exhausted and making bad choices. Then you have people trying too hard who burn out in an attempt to fix years of bad decisions in a matter of months. Then you do have people where something is just not working- thyroid etc.

But for most of these people, the ONLY solution to get to a healthy weight and a healthy body at this time is a lifestyle change that allows for time to exercise and eating nutritious foods in a lower calorie manner, and how that is accomplished is not that important. But it needs to be done and stayed with.

Very few people quit a food group like dairy or grains and suddenly emerge looking like Mark Sisson.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast