Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 329

Thread: Magic Pills, Food Villains and the Avoidance of Personal Responsibility page 26

  1. #251
    As1459's Avatar
    As1459 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26
    Shop Now
    LOL. I thought the same thing but hey I guess it's all subjective, right?

  2. #252
    lea's Avatar
    lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by As1459 View Post
    I don't know how to write this with out sounding cheesy but I happen to know someone who's known Mark for quite a while and he says that Mark has ALWAYS been in ridiculous shape, and "looked even better when he was eating more carbs."

    I'm just a guy on the internet hanging out in forums so take this for what it's worth.
    Well, he was younger when he was eating more carbs right?
    Then again some people are just genetically blessed!

  3. #253
    abc123's Avatar
    abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by As1459 View Post
    I don't know how to write this with out sounding cheesy but I happen to know someone who's known Mark for quite a while and he says that Mark has ALWAYS been in ridiculous shape, and "looked even better when he was eating more carbs."

    I'm just a guy on the internet hanging out in forums so take this for what it's worth.
    I believe it & I as well have been in better 'looking' shape eating a lot of starch bc glycogen is constantly pumping up the muscle. more ripped looking. From what I read on Mark, sustainability is the goal & his high fat platform seems to better accomplish that. Cruise control so to speak

  4. #254
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    All of us are at least a little overweight.
    I really don't think you're overweight, sbhikes! You look really slim in that bathing suit picture you have in your journal.

    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Thanks Choco 😊 solid advice. But what about the numbers?!?! I am 5'6", us size 10 or 12 because I like loose clothes (because of that dingdang pouch). I weigh @160. My body fat scale (I know not super accurate, but still) has me at 38% body fat. What do I make of that? It makes me feel like there is a much tinier version of myself hiding under so much fat. But then I also realize that everything is pretty much still in the right place. I'm just very confused about body image stuff- really more so than food. But I hear ya loud and clear on lifting heavy. Can't my own body weight count for that also? I'm really big into yoga and ballet and maybe should focus on that more than picking up weightlifting?
    There's no way that you're at 38% body fat. Your scale is probably really inaccurate. Those things usually are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Choc, surprised you carry that much fat at your weight! Not that its much fat but i thought you would be shredded at 145. I say you drop the fat and lean out some more before starting your "bulking" phase.
    You people are crazy. He actually looks normal to me. Yeah, I secretly dislike well-defined six packs. It looks gross to me for some reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Fat vs Carbs.

    For me, higher fat seemed to calm my body & allow healing to occur. It does seem that is what MOST people are looking for, or what they should be looking for, a period of healing their body from SAD & refined carbs. Higher fat (from red meat, avocado, eggs & full fat yogurt) satiated my appetite, lowered my calorie intake, lowered inflammation & weened me off of sugar.
    That's not the case for everyone. I think the more you hang out around here, the more people you'll meet for whom that doesn't work. I mean, it's great that it worked for you, and it obviously works for many others as well. But there are also a lot of people for whom it doesn't work.

    It certainly didn't work for me. HFLC didn't reduce my appetite at all. In fact, I was hungrier and ate more when I was HFLC.

    More and more, I'm convinced that it's all about CICO. The reason that HFLC works for some is because, for whatever reason, those people experience appetite suppression on HFLC so they naturally and effortlessly (and without even being aware sometimes) eat less. But if HFLC doesn't suppress you're appetite, then it's a freaking disaster because you end up eating all that fat.

    I'm starting a high protein, moderate carb (between 150 and 175 g per day), and relatively low fat diet. We'll see if this finally works.

  5. #255
    As1459's Avatar
    As1459 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    I believe it & I as well have been in better 'looking' shape eating a lot of starch bc glycogen is constantly pumping up the muscle. more ripped looking. From what I read on Mark, sustainability is the goal & his high fat platform seems to accomplish that. Cruise control so to speak
    I think this is what most people struggle with, body composition vs. health, and the balancing of the two. I like to err towards health. I have 2 kiddos that need to be chased!

  6. #256
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    4,100
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    More and more, I'm convinced that it's all about CICO. The reason that HFLC works for some is because, for whatever reason, those people experience appetite suppression on HFLC so they naturally and effortlessly (and without even being aware sometimes) eat less. But if HFLC doesn't suppress you're appetite, then it's a freaking disaster because you end up eating all that fat.
    I'm wondering if this has to do with digestion. Certainly if you aren't properly digesting and absorbing fats, how could one possibly be satiated from them? I know that I struggle with excess fat in my meals; my digestion cannot handle it. So that must affect the overall satiety of a HFLC diet if you aren't utilizing the fat properly, which could lead to excessive caloric intake. Conversely, I imagine the same could be true with other macros. Which is why gut health is more important than macros; first you have to establish that you can actually utilize whatever you are ingesting.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  7. #257
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,665
    Gut health is definitely important. But if you can't absorb the fats, then you shouldn't gain weight from it, right?

  8. #258
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Gut health is definitely important. But if you can't absorb the fats, then you shouldn't gain weight from it, right?
    Actually fat absorption is one thing that shouldn't be too poorly affected by dysbiosis. But, its my opinion that those having consistent trouble on high fat are deficient in certain nutritional vitamins and cofactors necessary to get energy from fat. The carnitine shuttle and B vitamins being just a couple of examples. Not saying thats why everyone fails, but if your sufficiently depleted then just jump on high fat via butter and oils without getting say... liver and some bone broth in you.... well yeah, rocky road ahead.

  9. #259
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    4,100
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Gut health is definitely important. But if you can't absorb the fats, then you shouldn't gain weight from it, right?
    In theory. But if you overconsume to compensate, then the theoretical deficit from your initial and proportional intake is eliminated. Many doctors would overlook overweight patients as not being Celiac candidates because Celiacs were assumed to be underweight because they had such terrible digestion and it was a common trait, but many of us know that's not true. You might digest enough to absorb partial calories but not total nutrients, and overeating compounds the caloric issue even if nutrients are not being utilized. It's actually quite common, even with people with eating disorders such as bulimia -- ever notice those afflicted with it tend to maintain a stable weight and can even be overweight? They absorb just enough calories, but not enough nutrients.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  10. #260
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    4,100
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Actually fat absorption is one thing that shouldn't be too poorly affected by dysbiosis. But, its my opinion that those having consistent trouble on high fat are deficient in certain nutritional vitamins and cofactors necessary to get energy from fat. The carnitine shuttle and B vitamins being just a couple of examples. Not saying thats why everyone fails, but if your sufficiently depleted then just jump on high fat via butter and oils without getting say... liver and some bone broth in you.... well yeah, rocky road ahead.
    Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the enzymes to break down fats, not just gut dysbiosis. Even if your gut bacteria is otherwise balanced, if you don't produce enough bile to break down the fat you will excrete it undigested.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •