Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 329

Thread: Magic Pills, Food Villains and the Avoidance of Personal Responsibility page 25

  1. #241
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,345
    If I should give som recommendations about fat; I say keep fat above 10 %, at least if you want to keep testosterone levels high. Generally between 10 and 20 % if you are physically very active and possible higher if overweight and/or sedentary...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

  2. #242
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,214
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Just when I had (re) convinced myself that it was normal, safe, sensible and advisable to do "whatever it takes" to reduce my body fat significantly here ya go putting doubts back into my mind. I too am technically overweight, eat (don't overeat) a real food diet (and have for years) inspired by WAPF and paleo/primal. I'm happy, healthy, vibrant, strong, flexible, sharp and creative and WILDLY OBSESSED WITH A POUCH OF FAT ON MY LOWER ABDOMEN. I mean really, can someone please tell me if I need to worry about this or not. Here is a pic I snapped of myself obsessing over this fat in a dressing room just earlier today. FWIW, I bought the dress.

    One word for you: Spanx. I'm sure that's how all the other skinny ladies like you are hiding their little belly bump.

    Seriously, that little bit of fat there is a sign that you are a WOMAN and not a teenage girl. You're a beautiful, slender woman.

    I'm "blessed" with a rounder physique. And no, I'm not "giving in" or "giving up." I can see my frickin' ribs and sometimes I can even see my abs. I can squat my bodyweight and a 20 mile hike up hill in minimalist footwear after a year of barely hiking at all didn't even give me sore feet. I could have done another 5 miles no problem. But I remain somewhat rounded and soft compared to those posters of Ms. Yoga Hot Pants. I reject the notion that that is the ONLY sign of health and vitality. This culture, whether we're talking about the general one or this fitness one, has gone insane with mistaking the signifier for the signified. There are many signifiers and you and I both possess versions of them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  3. #243
    lea's Avatar
    lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    One word for you: Spanx. I'm sure that's how all the other skinny ladies like you are hiding their little belly bump.

    Seriously, that little bit of fat there is a sign that you are a WOMAN and not a teenage girl. You're a beautiful, slender woman.

    I'm "blessed" with a rounder physique. And no, I'm not "giving in" or "giving up." I can see my frickin' ribs and sometimes I can even see my abs. I can squat my bodyweight and a 20 mile hike up hill in minimalist footwear after a year of barely hiking at all didn't even give me sore feet. I could have done another 5 miles no problem. But I remain somewhat rounded and soft compared to those posters of Ms. Yoga Hot Pants. I reject the notion that that is the ONLY sign of health and vitality. This culture, whether we're talking about the general one or this fitness one, has gone insane with mistaking the signifier for the signified. There are many signifiers and you and I both possess versions of them.
    I love your posts!

  4. #244
    abc123's Avatar
    abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    178
    Fat vs Carbs.

    For me, higher fat seemed to calm my body & allow healing to occur. It does seem that is what MOST people are looking for, or what they should be looking for, a period of healing their body from SAD & refined carbs. Higher fat (from red meat, avocado, eggs & full fat yogurt) satiated my appetite, lowered my calorie intake, lowered inflammation & weened me off of sugar.

    What works for mice or a very healthy athletic 25-yr old (whom is less damaged) is a different recipe for a 50+ yr male or female that has deeper levels of damage to their metabolism. In theory & scientifically, I buy that the human body is more efficient @ metabolizing carbohydrates for energy &, in a healthy state balanced state, will take starch & explode your gains in the gym & abililty to leap onto buildings.

    But isn't a period of higher fat & lower carb, a temporary recipe for healing the body? Until I controlled my appetite, I couldn't turn down FOOD. When my sugar metabolism was burning hot, my body was lean, muscles filled with glycogen, I longed for more food, more glucose, more starch. I just ate & ate & ate, looked great but literally became addicted to FOOD in general. I didn't have control over my appetite. Carbs lit my metabolism & super charged my leanness & fat burning, BUT also exposed me to unhealthy food because I needed the calories, I was always hungry. I couldn't turn down bread, rice & that lead me to sweets. I AM NOT BLAMING THE CARBOHYDRATE. THAT IS MY FAULT FOR EATING THE SWEETS, BUT doesn't the carbohydrate assisting your body in craving more carbohydrate? Bread, wheat, sugar, dessert, tons of fruit ALL are @ play when my sugar metabolism is burning hot.

    So, higher fat allowed me to regain control of my appetite, & now it easy for me to turn down anything.

    Question 1) what it meant to work for the human body, isn't necessarily where we are at @ this point. we have drank alcohol, eaten fake/damaging food for years, put on some unnecessary fat & stressed out constantly. SHOULD the focus be on an eating plan of HEALING damage & calming inflammation, not necessarily an athletically/healthy/super-charged plan that can take a body from a 9-10? MOST people are sitting around 4-5, we need to get them to a 6-7. My experience is, eliminating starch & fruit & raising satiating fats will assist in regaining that control over their "want" for food in general. Isn't that why Atkins works? Fat is more satiating & lowers caloric intake. Not ideal for Lebron James or Michael Phelps, but the lady sitting @ a 3-4, isn't that a good place to start? Higher fat, lower carb to regain some control over her 'need' to eat anything. Just for a period of time, then re-introduction of starch can drip back into the plan.

    Question 2) Is a fast, super-charged metabolism really desirable anyway? Sure, I've been able to lean my body out with that metabolism, but I feel more comfortable & longevity & sustainability may be more ideal in a slower, steady-paced metabolism. Food bill is lower as well

    Question 3) This guy below eats a high fat diet. He is in his late 50's? I know looks can be deceiving, but I have to assume he's also very healthy, seems to be thriving mentally. If anything, we could see Mark as a older-demographic specimen & add value to the High Fat Low Carb Low Toxin option. It doesn't seem to be counterproductive to him.

    I've heard fat is like the fuel that burns in a diesel truck, meant for longevity & to run for 100k miles. Sugar is like the fuel burned in a super-charged race car that BURSTS off the line, but burns out quickly & unsustainable. Rings somewhat true to my experience. Mark Sisson & his high fat plan appears to have a "longevity" & sustainability play in mind, which to me is more important. Thrive in my 50-60's, not necessarily bench pressing 300lbs or running a 4.2 40 today.

    Marknewspaper.jpg
    Last edited by abc123; 08-28-2013 at 11:45 AM.

  5. #245
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,073
    Aww, SBHikes, you are awesome in your awesomeness.

    And I bet you'd look good in yoga pants.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  6. #246
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Aww, SBHikes, you are awesome in your awesomeness.

    And I bet you'd look good in yoga pants.
    I agree.

  7. #247
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,473
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I agree.
    She may or may not. But there's only one way to settle this...

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    She may or may not. But there's only one way to settle this...
    i'm sensing a theme with your posts lately...

  9. #249
    As1459's Avatar
    As1459 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Fat vs Carbs.

    For me, higher fat seemed to calm my body & allow healing to occur. It does seem that is what MOST people are looking for, or what they should be looking for, a period of healing their body from SAD & refined carbs. Higher fat (from red meat, avocado, eggs & full fat yogurt) satiated my appetite, lowered my calorie intake, lowered inflammation & weened me off of sugar.

    What works for mice or a very healthy athletic 25-yr old (whom is less damaged) is a different recipe for a 50+ yr male or female that has deeper levels of damage to their metabolism. In theory & scientifically, I buy that the human body is more efficient @ metabolizing carbohydrates for energy &, in a healthy state balanced state, will take starch & explode your gains in the gym & abililty to leap onto buildings.

    But isn't a period of higher fat & lower carb, a temporary recipe for healing the body? Until I controlled my appetite, I couldn't turn down FOOD. When my sugar metabolism was burning hot, my body was lean, muscles filled with glycogen, I longed for more food, more glucose, more starch. I just ate & ate & ate, looked great but literally became addicted to FOOD in general. I didn't have control over my appetite. Carbs lit my metabolism & super charged my leanness & fat burning, BUT also exposed me to unhealthy food because I needed the calories, I was always hungry. I couldn't turn down bread, rice & that lead me to sweets. I AM NOT BLAMING THE CARBOHYDRATE. THAT IS MY FAULT FOR EATING THE SWEETS, BUT doesn't the carbohydrate assisting your body in craving more carbohydrate? Bread, wheat, sugar, dessert, tons of fruit ALL are @ play when my sugar metabolism is burning hot.

    So, higher fat allowed me to regain control of my appetite, & now it easy for me to turn down anything.

    Question 1) what it meant to work for the human body, isn't necessarily where we are at @ this point. we have drank alcohol, eaten fake/damaging food for years, put on some unnecessary fat & stressed out constantly. SHOULD the focus be on an eating plan of HEALING damage & calming inflammation, not necessarily an athletically/healthy/super-charged plan that can take a body from a 9-10? MOST people are sitting around 4-5, we need to get them to a 6-7. My experience is, eliminating starch & fruit & raising satiating fats will assist in regaining that control over their "want" for food in general. Isn't that why Atkins works? Fat is more satiating & lowers caloric intake. Not ideal for Lebron James or Michael Phelps, but the lady sitting @ a 3-4, isn't that a good place to start? Higher fat, lower carb to regain some control over her 'need' to eat anything. Just for a period of time, then re-introduction of starch can drip back into the plan.

    Question 2) Is a fast, super-charged metabolism really desirable anyway? Sure, I've been able to lean my body out with that metabolism, but I feel more comfortable & longevity & sustainability may be more ideal in a slower, steady-paced metabolism. Food bill is lower as well

    Question 3) This guy below eats a high fat diet. He is in his late 50's? I know looks can be deceiving, but I have to assume he's also very healthy, seems to be thriving mentally. If anything, we could see Mark as a older-demographic specimen & add value to the High Fat Low Carb Low Toxin option. It doesn't seem to be counterproductive to him.

    I've heard fat is like the fuel that burns in a diesel truck, meant for longevity & to run for 100k miles. Sugar is like the fuel burned in a super-charged race car that BURSTS off the line, but burns out quickly & unsustainable. Rings somewhat true to my experience. Mark Sisson & his high fat plan appears to have a "longevity" & sustainability play in mind, which to me is more important. Thrive in my 50-60's, not necessarily bench pressing 300lbs or running a 4.2 40 today.

    Marknewspaper.jpg
    I don't know how to write this with out sounding cheesy but I happen to know someone who's known Mark for quite a while and he says that Mark has ALWAYS been in ridiculous shape, and "looked even better when he was eating more carbs."

    I'm just a guy on the internet hanging out in forums so take this for what it's worth.

  10. #250
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,734
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by As1459 View Post
    I don't know how to write this with out sounding cheesy but I happen to know someone who's known Mark for quite a while and he says that Mark has ALWAYS been in ridiculous shape, and "looked even better when he was eating more carbs."

    I'm just a guy on the internet hanging out in forums so take this for what it's worth.
    Even better than that? Pics or it didn't happen.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •