Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Kettlebells Passť? page

MerryMac is offline Junior Member

Are Kettlebells Passť?

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading up on kettlebells and am considering taking a class or seeking the help of a personal trainer to learn proper form. I especially like that cardio and strength are combined in one set of movements and am encouraged by the many fat loss testimonials out there. I really couldn't care less whether they are trendy, but I have noticed that most books, blog posts, videos, etc., that I've found helpful were published a couple of years ago, and I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm getting in on the tail end of a fad. So, if former kettlebell enthusiasts are abandoning the practice, why?

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    I don't think people are abandoning the practice, it's just that kettlebells were such a hype back then. It's still a functional piece of equipment. The hype have probably just gone down because the information of what can be done have mostly been covered, and because the people who would've bought a kettlebell have now bought a kettlebell, so there is no need to really market the item anymore.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    What's a kettle ball?

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I have a kettlebell and the swing is a decent exercise I do sometimes watching tv.

ggstevenson is offline Junior Member
    This"fad", as you called it, has been around for quite some time, so I'm not sure it qualifies as a fad. The 'Thigh master' and such contraptions, were fads, but kettlebells are not. Some folks get bored of the same routine. I am one of them. However, kettlebells are my go to exercise when time and space are a factor and I want all systems getting worked in one circuit (cardio, strength, and mobility). They must be supplemented with pushing and pulling exercises, however. (Pushups and pullups work fine for that). Look up Steve Maxwell for some great kettlebell training. He's over 60, is a kettlebell/bodyweight pioneer in the U.S., and he travels the world giving seminars. Check him out online. He has a site and youtube videos. There's nothing wrong with mixing things up though if you get bored with just kettlebells. Have fun out there and just keep moving. Peace!

MerryMac is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, I realize kettlebells have been around for centuries, but I was referring to their recent resurgence in the States. I'd noticed their popularity waning and wondered about the reason. I thought maybe people were getting injured or were finding them less effective as promised. Also, I've had trouble finding a certified instructor in my immediate area (I live on the outskirts of a major metropolitan area). I don't know how important the certification is. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into Maxwell.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    I don't think people are abandoning the practice, it's just that kettlebells were such a hype back then. It's still a functional piece of equipment. The hype have probably just gone down because the information of what can be done have mostly been covered, and because the people who would've bought a kettlebell have now bought a kettlebell, so there is no need to really market the item anymore.
    It's funny you mention that because I heard the same thing happened when adjustable barbells were initially invented. Back in those days, the word in magazines was that if you bought an adjustable barbell and used it, you would get big and strong. That's all you needed back then. That's all they were advertising in the magazines. And it was true, people did get the results.

The problem was just as you mentioned. People would only need to buy an adjustable barbell once. It wasn't generating enough money. Thus the invention of supplements, a product that people would continue to buy over and over again.

The rest is history. Over the years, the health and fitness industry has turned people onto ideas of magical products guaranteed to give them the results, instead of hard work. Thus, the phenomenon you see these days. People are constantly confused about how to get in shape, always looking for the new gimmick, more scientific method of training, new scientific diet, and/or supplement(s) that's going to work magical wonders, instead of actually working hard.

The truth is, the answer is the same now as it's always been as to how to get in shape. But people just don't see it. It's sad.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryMac View Post
    I've been reading up on kettlebells and am considering taking a class or seeking the help of a personal trainer to learn proper form. I especially like that cardio and strength are combined in one set of movements and am encouraged by the many fat loss testimonials out there. I really couldn't care less whether they are trendy, but I have noticed that most books, blog posts, videos, etc., that I've found helpful were published a couple of years ago, and I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm getting in on the tail end of a fad. So, if former kettlebell enthusiasts are abandoning the practice, why?
    The truth is that most of what you hear about kettlebells is just marketing hype. That doesn't mean that they don't work. It just means don't think there is anything magical about them. That's actually what the advertising companies intended to accomplish, for people to believe that there is something about them that makes them WAY better than barbells or other equipment, but there isn't. You can just as well do circuit training with many other types of equipment and it'd provide a similar workout.

I'm not bashing kettlebells by all means, I'm just bashing the advertising companies. Kettlebells actually are a descent piece of equipment. Try bending over and grabbing a few heavy kettlebells and doing a few clean and jerks with them and then tell me how you feel. You can feel all your muscles working, and it really is more taxing than you'd think. They really are a descent piece of equipment that require functional strength.

The question is, do you really need them for the type of training you are looking for and your specific goals? Maybe or maybe not. Do you like training with them and is it fun? Fun is a big factor, it all depends on you.

Personally if I had kettlebells at my gym, I'd add a few exercises into my routine as a functional movement, same thing with farmers walk, sand bag work, etc.. But I don't think I'd buy one unless I was really into home workouts and for some reason there was an exercise I couldn't do without.

Like I said, there really isn't anything magical about them. You could try a class if you like the group thing. But like I said, I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase them. It just isn't worth it IMHO. How about these questions. Are you into home workouts. Do you regularly do push ups, situps, burpees, etcc., and are you looking for an extra piece of equipment? If not, then it isn't worth it, because it'll probably just end up sitting in the closet collecting dust.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    I mentioned it in another thread: there is this guy and his shovel glove routine. Looks cheaper for similar benefits.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Or screw handles onto old bowling balls for free. If you really like and use them, then maybe upgrade to the real thing. Or just keep using the bowling balls if your handles are so sturdy they can do everything a KB does.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast