Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite places to live? page

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member

Favorite places to live?

Shop Now
    Hi guys my BF and I are looking for where we want to move. I will be an RN in a few weeks, and we are moving out of Florida. We're interested mainly in moving out west, or possibly somewhere in the Virginia-North Carolina area. Big concerns are plenty of hiking, access to local food, and moderate weather, because we love to be outdoors (FL is too hot, we're not interested in a lot of snow, and we like the west coast but we're concerned about all the rain?). I suppose wherever you live you'll have some form of less-than-perfect weather, but it would be nice to minimize that? Any suggestions?

Goal: Feel good, be active!

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Prescott Arizona might be nice. Besides local hiking, there's tons of parks around for some spectacular hiking; Short drive over to Sedona, only a few hours drive to Grand Canyon and Saguaro National Park, and for a weekend trip, Bryce Canyon and Zion aren't to far either. You can also go up to Flag (maybe 2hr drive) and hike the 12,000+ tall San Francisco Peaks when it gets hot, its always in the mid 70's up there in the summer. They have views of the Grand Canyon at the top on a clear day.

Weather is not perfect, but pretty pleasant. July is kind of hot, average high of 89 (but that's when you should head up to the mountain to hike ;-) With 277 sunny days a year, its also a dry heat. It only rains/ snows average of about 20 inches a year, I've always found its much more pleasant than the humid heat of places like Florida and Hawaii. Check out this link for more info on the weather. Good luck with your move!
    Last edited by eig; 08-25-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Colorado? Except our politics suck. The climate and hiking/outdoor activities are badass, though.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Gotta be San Francisco.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    The problem with urban areas in the West and even rural areas in the far West is the cost. I would recommend using the ladder approach on cost of living. Start with the lowest cost of living place. Then look at the next place up the ladder. Do you REALLY need to take that rung? Cost of living has far more impact on your lifestyle than the exact place.

I grew up in rural California and I now live in Raleigh, NC. I did a cost of living comparison and I can fly to California 6 times a year, if I really wanted to do that, for the difference in cost of living. Because of where I live, I have been able to get other graduate degrees, start a business, go on nice vacations, etc. I would never have been able to do that if I lived in California.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    San Francisco is very expensive. Most working people have been priced out of the city. In fact most of the doctors, and nurses I've met in SF commute a long way and the only ones I met that live and work in SF moved there decades ago. I live in a rural county, the cost of living is much cheaper but higher than many places in the US. Still there are advantages, it rarely snows, lots of nature, the air is clean and there is an active local food movement.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Yeah, we love San Francisco, but we don't think we could realistically afford to live there. Great idea to live somewhere more reasonable and be able to travel more My BF's background is in construction and maintenance, by the way.
    How is Raleigh? Anyone have any experience with Asheville?

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I absolutely love Raleigh. I lived on the road for 5 years and have been everywhere in North America, and I could live anywhere I want and I couldn't think of a better place. Also, if you are interested in pharma research at all (my field), this is the place and it can be a great career move for a nurse.

We like Asheville a lot, but it is surprisingly expensive. I have a timeshare near Asheville, but between the cost, snow, and few flight options it isn't my first choice for a place to live. South Carolina is also growing up nicely- Charleston and Columbia. And Tennessee is something to think about. Virginia tends to be pricier.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Oh, well I'm planning to emigrate to the States next Spring, and my plan is to move to Oakland so I can be close to SF Oakland isn't for everyone though - I'm an artist so it's up my street, but 3/4s of it are pretty dodgy apparently.

Berkley is meant to be really nice (and also close to SF )
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

How are the hiking/camping opportunities near Raleigh? When I have thought about NC, I had been thinking nearer the mountains? But obviously being in FL, everything is flat, so any sort of hilliness is exciting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast