Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another disservice of the health movment - using the word "fasting"

Another disservice of the health movment - using the word "fasting"

Shop Now
    I think the health movement is doing a great disservice to the notion of what is basically not-eating-all-the-freaking-time, what is known as Intermittent Fasting, by calling it fasting.

I'm doing Leangains now, eating in an 8 hour window, or basically just skipping breakfast. Am I FASTING? Seriously?

When I told my mother I was doing Intermittent Fasting she almost got a heart attack (Jewish mothers....)

The word fasting has a strong and very serious connotation and I think it's completely out of place and probably scares people off of it. I think reversing the term and calling it Intermittent Feeding Window or something similar would be not only more accurate but also more "marketable".

Nate Miyaki has latched onto that with his Intermittent Feast book, same thing, different connotation for most.

I agree with you, he talks more about meal distribution and feast rather than fast. But the IF train rolls on and is gaining popularity, it'll be a fad for the most part, some people will make it a way of life, most will look for a new holy grail.

It would be hard to market "Skipping Breakfast". (aka SB)

I totally agree. Calling not eating for 16 hours 'fasting' is ridiculous. The same can be said with respect to others like the 5:2, downdays, etc. They are low calorie days, it is not fasting.

I agree with you here....I never use the word "fasting" to describe what I do to those outside the community. It has a religious and zealotry connotation that I don't like.

Anything past 36 hours is a true fast. Before that is just eating later in the day

Good thing they stick "intermittent" in front of it as a qualifier then.

"You can't skip breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day!!1!?" <-- it's still extending the time period without food for these people.

I don't use the term fasting either. I just say I don't eat breakfast. I told my sister that and she freaked. "You can't NOT eat breakfast! That's bad for you!"
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

More often than not, I eat one meal a day. But it just doesn't sound as sexy as Intermittent Fasting.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

It started with the science and not the bloggers. Fasting is the accepted term for baseline glucose/insulin/etc. that occurs 3-4 hours after a meal but I definitely agree that it's horrible in an advice context, especially for the SADdicts that might benefit the most. "Meal planning" is my subtle term for it.
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Fasting is the accepted term for baseline glucose/insulin/etc. that occurs 3-4 hours after a meal...
    That sounds like BroScience