Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Another disservice of the health movment - using the word "fasting" page 4

gmatt is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Thats why its called 'intermittent' fasting, which is an entirely accurate term.
    So someone eating 6 times per day, abstaining from food for four hours, can also claim to be intermittent 'fasting'.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    You know how you take 'fasting labs'? It's like that.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    So someone eating 6 times per day, abstaining from food for four hours, can also claim to be intermittent 'fasting'.
    The term doesn't have a quantifiable definition, so yes, somebody could claim that. Though using it in that context (4 hours of fasting) would be considered incorrect.

gmatt is offline Member
    ... so yes, somebody could claim that...
    That is why it is ridiculous. Frankly, I don't care what meaningless, marketing buzz-word is used by people. However, I'm reminded of the old saying, "Don't p*** on my foot and tell me it's raining."

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    That is why it is ridiculous. Frankly, I don't care what meaningless, marketing buzz-word is used by people. However, I'm reminded of the old saying, "Don't p*** on my foot and tell me it's raining."
    How do you feel about the terms "paleo", "low carb" and "primal"?

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    I think it's entirely arbitrary to try to come up with a minimum number of hours before it's allowed to qualify as fasting because it surely depends on the person, their normal habits, their instincts, whether they are doing it consciously, whether it "feels" like fasting to them. I used to be heavily reliant om breakfast so for me initially just to delay breakfast felt like fasting and also like a huge triumph and a big step in my healing. I have since gone 23 hours effortlessly and my regular 16-18 hrs rarely feel like fasting to me now, but they're still fasting for someone who is needing to consciously make an effort to do that. Remember people start from very different places and it can sound rather harsh/patronising to tell someone who has made a big stride in healing their body to be able to get to 16 hrs fasting and still has to try hard to get there, that their efforts aren't good enough to be called fasting. Even in its cultural and religious usage, fasting has hugely varying meanings. I think we can allow some flexibility here! If it feels like fasting to the person doing it, then fasting it is.

hedwards is offline Member
    The term doesn't have a quantifiable definition, so yes, somebody could claim that. Though using it in that context (4 hours of fasting) would be considered incorrect.
    If it's less than 6-8 hours then it's ridiculous to even consider it fasting. Common sense dictates that the minimum period of time for a fast needs to be longer than the time you spend asleep. Otherwise nearly everybody would be fasting every day, from a technical stand point.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    I am also tempted to say that a "fast" doesn't begin really until your body is done digesting whatever you ate last.

M.

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Well, the morning meal IS called "BreakFast" after all... I guess those guys back then considered it a fast. I wonder where did the word originate from.

Quote Originally Posted by hedwards View Post
    If it's less than 6-8 hours then it's ridiculous to even consider it fasting. Common sense dictates that the minimum period of time for a fast needs to be longer than the time you spend asleep. Otherwise nearly everybody would be fasting every day, from a technical stand point.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Fæstan is the Old English root of "fasting". It is from the Nordic root "Fasta", which just means to abstain.

M.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234