Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another disservice of the health movment - using the word "fasting" page 2

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    More often than not, I eat one meal a day. But it just doesn't sound as sexy as Intermittent Fasting.
    Yes. I like the term for that reason. Sound cooler than just skipping breakfast-which is what I've naturally done most of my life until I got convinced it was bad for me. I'm much happier this way. Just eat when I'm hungry.

Also, I like the link with religious fasting. Makes it sound kind of zen instead if just trendy.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I don't use the term fasting either, mostly because it feels like an exaggeration of what I do. I tell people I don't snack, because I think that's had a huge impact on my weight management. And I sometimes tell them I just have coffee with a bit of cream for breakfast.

If they give me grief about that (horrors! the most important meal of the day!) I'll blather on a bit about IGF and then ask them to show me one piece of peer reviewed literature that shows a negative metabolic effect of skipping breakfast. I work in the R&D department of a biotech company so an appeal to the literature generally shuts people up, even if they're not interested in the facts.

I think most doubters would be interested Michael Mosely's fluffy little documentary, "Eat, Fast and Live Longer". It's very non-threatening.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    This is kind of silly. Even the word "breakfast" implies that fasts can be short periods of not eating.

Are you saying that Muslims fasting during daylight hours in the month of Ramadan are not truly fasting?
    Last edited by Kegas76; 08-25-2013 at 09:02 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Well, heck. I think the health and nutrition community is doing a major disservice to Americans by not pointing out that perma-snacking is a major cause of weight gain. As long as most Americans eat so frequently that there is no time period between meals whatever, IF will be off the radar.

Spheni is offline Member
    I'm glad to have found this thread today. I am new to PB and was just starting to wonder if regularly not eating breakfast was bad. No more worrying, I'll just eat when I'm hungry! Thank you!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    You can't not eat breakfast, that's impossible. Instead, realize the truth: the first meat of the day will always be how you BREAK your FAST.

M.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Intermittent "feeding" is more proper for description for lean gains.

BUT technically, "fasting" is defined as abstention of food & drink for a period of time. The period of time isn't concrete, its ambiguous

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    You can't not eat breakfast, that's impossible. Instead, realize the truth: the first meat of the day will always be how you BREAK your FAST.

M.
    There's a freudian slip if I ever saw one

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post

M.
    Lol I see what you did there
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

At 16 hours, the term "fast" might seem a bit excessive, even if it is technically accurate. I think when you get into the 20+ range though, it seems pretty appropriate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast