Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't vegetarian s obese? page 9

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    All the veg@ns I have ever met are either scrawny or obese...NONE are healthy looking without serious supplements....
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    All swans i have seen so far are white.
    Few but ripe.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Like, here... About a quarter of Swedish vegans and vegitarians are overweight or obese- Risk of overweight and obesity among semivegetarian, lactovegetarian, and vegan women

I didn't need a study to tell me that, I can just look around me, but there is one.
    Eh, what? If a quarter of all vegetarians were overweight, at least 80% of the swedish obese would be vegetarians. The fact that we have a shitload of vegetarians but very few obese people should speak for itself here.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I've seen black, brown, grey, and white swans.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I've seen black, brown, grey, and white swans.
    did you barbecue them?
    Few but ripe.

OkeePhoenix is offline Junior Member
    Although I must agree that most of the vegetarians and vegans I know are thin, I have known one man, in particular who was a vegetarian all his life, as his parents (both thin) were veggies before he was born...who was VERY obese, almost 500 pounds when last I saw him. I regret that I have very few medical details about him to share, however, and I haven't seen him for years.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring....

Florida, USA.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    All swans i have seen so far are white.
    Yes, no evidence of A doesn't equate with evidence of no A. Inductive reasoning fallacy. Black swan syndrome. Blah blah.

But how many rising suns after sunsets do you need to be convinced? How many unhealthy vegans does one need to convince self that veganism is probably not the way to go?

Aside from anecdotal evidence, it is difficult to get all the nutrients on a vegan diet, especially all in a readily absorbable form. Like it or not, animals store their nutrients in a more familiar format to our bodies than plants do. Thus, it is easier for human beings to harvest said nutrients. At the end of the day it isn't just about protein or carbs or fat...it is about vitamins and minerals and the forms they are locked up in plants that make it harder for human beings to utilize.

I don't think we need a TON of animals in our diet, but eating just a tiny bit here and there goes a long way in nutrition.

Also, animals are tasty IMO.

It seems like those who are stubbornly trying to argue that veganism/vegetarianism is healthy will always find wacky studies to support their point. I have had people cite the stupid China study to me a billion times. Uck.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-05-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

^^^^

i think you did not read my position elsewhere in this forum.

i am willing to accept a minor inconvenience of being sup-optimally healthy during a few years that i will live in return for not supporting industrial scale, unnecessary slaughter of animals.

i ate meat all these years. now i am convinced i dont have the right to kill innocent animals just because i need to keep a little more optimal physique. Especially when i have other choices.

to each his own. i am not downplaying or judging your choice.
    Few but ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    did you barbecue them?
    No, they belonged to the golf course next door to our place. Weren't mine to BBQ.

To the point of industrially managed animal foods, there's a simple way to avoid it -- go straight to farm, purchasing farm-butchered, etc. Boom. Done.

You see, back in the day, I was vegan. My husband was not. We discovered local farms where we could get chickens, beef, bison, venison, eggs, dairy products (raw), and even a trout farm that was surprisingly clean. only the bison was managed "off farm" at a small-scale, family-owned slaughter house that I actually visited and watched them go through the whole process. It was nothing like large scale, industrial feed lots or slaughterhouses. Honestly, it was very respectful, humane, and very, very clean.

I totally get your desire to be vegan/vegetarian -- totally go for it if you feel it's the best thing to do (though this is a weird website on which to find information about that sort of lifestyle). But if/when you feel that it might be important to eat meat (or eggs/dairy) again, go and look for local farms. The weston a price foundation has great lists of farms on their web site (by state and country).

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast