Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't vegetarian s obese? page 8

Zach is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Phil,

I dont want to accuse anyone of anything but i wouldnt be surprised at all if some of the older prominent paleo figures didnt use some sort of HRT.

I have not seen anything about harley adding in cooked starches to his diet. He often says a high carb diet is better but sugar is best so i think hes maknly adding sugar to his diet. He does advocate a traditional high carb/low fat vegan diet for everyone though. It seems like Freelee maybe needed some variety so is adding in cooked starch. Her motto is Go fruit or root yourself so she must think potatoes is aok. It would be interesting to see her blood tests.

I dont know why his phosphate would be high, im going to do a little reading. I was also really impressed with trigs and think it must be a combo of lack of dietary fat and how well they utilize sugar. I to find them very interesting, i would never suggest anyone go full fruitarian long term but it does seem to have some very positive effects on health if used short term or combined with a small amount of animal products. They are like a walking human study, very interesting.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I hadn't read that, in fact, after reading some posts I assumed (wrongly I see) that she had been that way for years. Did it give the date she wrote that? I, for some reason, cannot access her blog from my phone.
    The oldest post I could find on the blog was from February this year and a post in June mentions eating fish.

"Side-note regarding nutrition: I mentioned that I would be eating fish again, and that is primarily what I eat in the first place (no eggs at the moment)."
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Bane is offline Senior Member
    When someone mentions Harley I think of this poor kid.

A 100% Raw Vegan Success Story

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I was a morbidly obese vegan, followed by many years of being an obese vegetarian. I'm now a merely overweight primal eater.
    What sort of foods did you eat as a vegan? What was your exercise regime?

I recently switched to vegan. I want to keep it as primal as possible - minimal rice, potatos, lots of fruits and vegetables, some nuts and no processed food.
    Would be helpful for me to know what to avoid.
    Few but ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    What sort of foods did you eat as a vegan? What was your exercise regime?

I recently switched to vegan. I want to keep it as primal as possible - minimal rice, potatos, lots of fruits and vegetables, some nuts and no processed food.
    Would be helpful for me to know what to avoid.
    There was another thread I posted in where someone was going vegan and I gave a bit of a run down on decent vegan nutrition/food.

I'd say cut out rice and potatoes completely, as well as grains. Stick to vegetables. Instead of potato do other root veggies, cauliflower or peel and dice eggplant for pan frying.

Careful with nuts as they're high in carbs and omega 6. You will have a hard time finding sources of bioavailable omega 3 as flax isn't as great a source as its touted to be. You will not be able to get adequate iron, no k2, and have to synthesize all your own d3 so you need lots of sun exposure. There is no vegan source of b12, no matter what they say (and I was once one of them), only analogues which are not actual b12 and can actually prevent real b12 from being absorbed so this has to be supplemented.

Because you have no protein sources you will have to eat legumes. Beans and lentils. Also safe soy products would be edamame and tempeh. Organic/non gmo tofu in moderation would be fine as well. Don't drink soy or rice milk; better *unsweetened* and preferably enriched as you will likely need a multivitamin for your lacking nutrients (d, k, b's, etc) would be coconut milk (not the cans, the beverage) and almond milk (my favourite used to be the almond/coconut blend its readily available in the USA and only just came to Canada).

You should probably pick up a few raw vegan cookbooks. I say this because raw vegan has a lot of dietary similarities to paleo/primal. No grains is a big one. Lots of ingredients that are common in raw vegan are common in primal. You can cook your food and do what you like your own way, but it will help give you ideas on what to eat and foods to make, using non-animal, primal sources. It will be nut and seed heavy, but with no meat if you keep it in balance with a load of vegetables, it should be okay.

No faux meats! Mushrooms are your friends. Deep fried shiitake stems are like chicken. You can use portabellas as burgers, or slice and fry or bake to do "meat". There's tons of mushrooms out there; enoki make for good squid adding mushrooms to food will make it "meaty".

Lastly, I would not suggest staying vegan for more than a few years. Before you commit, or while you are vegan, I suggest reading on the major flaws of the China Study, read The Vegetarian Myth, and learn about ethical farming and animal husbandry because yes you can be an ethical meat eater. Oh, and another good video is Farmageddon. It's about the government trying to basically ban real farming for factory farming. Vegans and real farmers are on the same side, to lessen cruelty, to have actually healthy food, and to not have someone else's food agenda enforced by law.

Zach is offline Banned
    If i were to become a vegan i would not losten to the above advice at all... Low carb vegan??

I think the fruitarians have it mostly right but need a bit more protein and probably a bit more fat to really thrive. My main food groups would fruit and fruit juice, potatoes and other tubers, squash, pumpkin, rice and a bit of veg. Id add coconut products and probably a few nuts like a brazil nut a day and a few others just for the minerals. I would see how that goes but might have to add some potato protein powder. Id rather avoid legumes and soy because of their estrogenic properties and other problems. Lastly i wouldnt avoid salt and wouldnt excessively drink water.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    If i were to become a vegan i would not losten to the above advice at all... Low carb vegan??

I think the fruitarians have it mostly right but need a bit more protein and probably a bit more fat to really thrive. My main food groups would fruit and fruit juice, potatoes and other tubers, squash, pumpkin, rice and a bit of veg. Id add coconut products and probably a few nuts like a brazil nut a day and a few others just for the minerals. I would see how that goes but might have to add some potato protein powder. Id rather avoid legumes and soy because of their estrogenic properties and other problems. Lastly i wouldnt avoid salt and wouldnt excessively drink water.
    How is eating vegetables and legumes low carb? You may want to actually, uh, read. If you are telling a vegan to avoid their only source of protein, good effing luck! No where did I say no tubers, I said no potato. That leaves sweet potato, yam, then there's squashes and plantains. No where did I say no nuts, but to balance them. No where did I say no coconut: in fact I said look at books... Which would be high in nut and seeds, and one of the base ingredients will end up being coconut.

As an ex frugivore, you saying its right is irresponsible at best. You may want to actually know what you're talking about before jumping on my back.

Why you are advising a sugar diet (juice and fruit?!) is beyond me.

Zach is offline Banned
    Because a sugar idet is the healthiest option, especially for vegans since most other options are either low calories, high fat (mostly unsaturated), highly estrogenic from tons of grains, legumes (soy!) and nuts, very low nutriant density or all of the above.

Potatoes are one of the best sources of protein, dont know why you would avoid them. Fruit is one of the best sources for nutriants and doesnt have any of the problems tha veg, nuts and legumes has. And its obvious they high carb/low fat is superior to low carb/high fat when it comes to vegans since they cant include any animal sources to make the fat a decent source besides coconut.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Shield_Maiden i was the guy who started the other thread. Thanks for the tips!

And thanks for the tips Zach.

My question to Magnolia was to understand what made her obese. Was it purely dietary, etc.
    Few but ripe.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    In thinking about this stuff earlier today, i might note that 80-10-10 -- as an example of macronutrients -- could work out no problem really on the vegan diet if you get enough calories.

If I need 110g protein, and that needs to be 10% and it comes from foods where it's not exactly the most protein rich per volume, then the large calories of DR/FL would make sense. I would need 4,400 calories a day to get my protein needs met (at 10%), and 63g fat (at 10%), and then the remaining 3520 calories could come from carbohydrates (880g carbs).

Juicing/blending would be the easiest way to get these calories.

Of course, you also can't be sedentary. I think it would make sense to take up distance sports training. To make it fun, I recommend diversifying. Like, back when I was vegan (70% raw, mostly grain-free because I"m not big on grains anyway), I was doing triathlons and yoga -- so I was doing some kind of work out about 3 hrs a day. So, that should do you just fine. Might need less, might need more.

But, I get why DR/FL are on about calories. Without eating enough calories, you really can't get the basic protein/fat needs met. But once you are eating enough calories, then you have to be active to burn off the amount of sugar you're consuming.

I also like the Monarchs. I think they are sweet/funny. Anyway, Matt Monarch recommends eating very simply -- ie, eating the same things every day or similar. I can get with that. I discovered that when I eat the same things (primal) daily, that I do much better overall.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast