Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't vegetarian s obese? page 3

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by paradīzio View Post
    I had few more quotes to discuse but my battery went down, will continue as soon as i get home.
    Just be ware that some people follow the PB as mostly as prescribed and some people vary it to there own preference or particular health reasons ( some are very low carb and some are high carb ).

Some people do stuff that appears to be nothing like what's 'prescribed' in PB - it's a free forum and people can do as they please :-)

I'm not saying what is 'right' or 'wrong' but just letting you know that you may get some responses that may seem very confusing at first ( not quite in line with PB stuff you may have read) - though I haven't seen any extreme responses in this thread yet :-)

Initially I dropped all white starches, but later with experimentation I introduced them in a small amounts ( white rice and white potatoes) with no I'll effects - after doing this I learned it seems Mark has reconsidered and taken a softer approach on these starches and considers them 'neutral' ( can be eaten if no issues arise and you have the calorie requirement in an active lifestyle - higher physical activity lifestyle may benefit from higher carb intake).

You will work out what works for you over time with some experimentation - if you haven't done so already.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 08-25-2013 at 05:19 AM.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    As for insulin causing fat deposits - some people here will argue here its not the cause of storing fat ( or it's overly simplified) -These arguments from both sides could go on for pages.

I don't know, but dropping processed wheat, processed sugar, processed oils and highly processed foods in general will make room for real whole foods ( meat, veg, fruit, some dairy, some nuts).

Eating enough real foods fuels the body properly and keeps it healthy. It doesn't leave one hungry and craving for extra empty junk calories causing ill health and fat deposits ( that's the way I look at it anyway).

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paradīzio View Post
    I had few more quotes to discuse but my battery went down, will continue as soon as i get home.
    It basically comes down to eating real food. Insulin spikes are normal physiological process that occurs in our bodies every time we eat. Any food, except for pure fat. From that small pic you appear to be a young person in good shape. Can you give me a solid argument as to why anyone should have to eat high-fat low-carb diet and attempt to avoid the release of insulin as much as possible? Just because it works for 0.0000000001% of the world's population, doesn't mean it can work for everyone. Especially long-term.

BTW I personally don't advocate vegetarianism. Neither do I support a ketogenic diet, obviously.
    Last edited by Graycat; 08-25-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    My husband has 4 cousins who are all vegans. 1 is more of a vegetarian (eats cheese), and appears healthy, another is vegan, but actually eats real food, and he also appears healthy (but very pale), and the other two are into all the processed "vegan" pseudo foods (not dogs, boca burgers, etc.), and both of them are unhealthy and overweight.

Live and let live. If it's working for the first two, then I have no beef (No pun, I swear). The other two I worry about, but they choose their lifestyle, and all the badgering in the world will not change them.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I have a good friend who calls himself a primal vegetarian. Eats no transfats, grains, soy or processed food. Gets his protein from eggs and once in awhile wild fish but refuses to eat other animals on humanitarian grounds. He's 73 and in incredibly good shape. There are many shades of gray to the Primal/Paleo blueprint, finding what works for you is what is most important.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    I am a health care provider and I see PLENTY of vegetarians who are overweight and many suffer from diabetes and eating disorders. Overall they are way less healthy then omnivores.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Yeah, maybe if it were true. And if skinny was the one true measure of health.

How 'bout this as a generalization? Some vegetarians are thin because their food sucks, so they don't eat a lot of it.
    FTW! I laughed so hard I almost spit out my coffee!
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

photocat is offline Member
    I've been overweight pretty much my entire life (or at least from when I was old enough to grasp body image concepts). I became a vegetarian in my 20's and into my early 30's...where I gained a significant amount of additional weight and a few health issues too. Sadly Doritos, Snickers, pasta, cheese pizza, mac & cheese ... need I go on?... all fell into the "vegetarian" framework quite nicely. It is quite easy to be an overweight vegetarian.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    We have two kinds of vegetarian/vegan at work. The scrawny, dizzy, can barely stand up kind with no muscle tone and huge black bags under their eyes who eat a pile of leaves for lunch and the morbidly obese, chips-and-soda vegans who look like zombies, too, but are very fat. They are both in terrible shape, but one gets excess calories and the other does not. Both look like they need to be admitted and force-fed real chicken soup for a month.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    We have two kinds of vegetarian/vegan at work. The scrawny, dizzy, can barely stand up kind with no muscle tone and huge black bags under their eyes who eat a pile of leaves for lunch and the morbidly obese, chips-and-soda vegans who look like zombies, too, but are very fat. They are both in terrible shape, but one gets excess calories and the other does not. Both look like they need to be admitted and force-fed real chicken soup for a month.
    Then there are the kind like Mac Danzig and Mike Mahler who would knock your teeth out for talking shit.

Come on man, being vegan may not be ideal but its not inherently unhealthy, vegetarians can easily be healthier then meat eaters. Dont know why you got such hate on.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast