Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't vegetarian s obese? page 11

5kfunrun is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    There was an Indian family on The Biggest Loser last season who were all obese. (Their daughter participated in the kids portion.) I've noticed that the majority of vegetarians I know have either a beer gut or a muffin top.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    A link to this blog popped up on my Bookface today posted by SAFE (animal welfare/rights group).

Apparently this guy is a vegan athlete, though a brief read of his blog shows that he only went vegan at the end of 2011 (though was still taking whey protein in May 2012..), but has seen strength gains since gong vegan.

http://www.patrikbaboumian.de/?page_id=9
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    A self-described vegan argues for eating oysters and mussels:

The Ethical Case for Eating Oysters and Mussels- Part 2 | Sentientist

"The number one reason we lose more people [from] veganism: [is] because of fruitarianism.... In fact, raw fruit fruitarianism is the worst threat to veganism. ... I've never seen [fruitarians] be successful ever, and I've been in this raw [diet movement] now for at least ... twenty six years." - raw vegan Dr. Jameth Sheridan, Why Deficient Raw Vegans Become Meat Eaters - YouTube

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I thought vegetarians were thinner simply because in general, they were younger. I guess we'll have to wait until all the pretty young veggies turn 50.

Look at the extra people in the background in movies and TV shows from 1970's. It seems to me that people in general were a lot skinnier in the meat-eater days before veg caught on. Then again, in the early 1970's, we didn't have bad oils, high fructose corn syrup, pink slime, dwarf hybrid wheat, and everybody smoked too. Our food and lifestyles have changed so fast that time comparisons are nearly impossible.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Zach, here's a better raw vegan success story than Durianrider (who isn't even raw any more):

Annette Larkins On The Doctors Clip 2 - YouTube
    70 years old
    27 year raw vegan

Annette wrote in the comments: "Some of the starchy vegetables that I eat include sprouted legumes such as garbanzo beans and lentils, and also raw-sweet potatoes or yams. Even nuts contain starch; so although I have excluded cooked and over processed foods, my diet does not lack the vitamins, minerals, protein, starch, fat, and water needed to assist in achieving optimal health.

I prepare a delicious onion bread that includes ground sunflower and flax seeds."
    Last edited by Paleophil; 09-14-2013 at 03:27 PM.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Proof by example accomplishes nothing. There are always examples to find either way in every diet category.

For some PBF is so important that they will spend all their day agonizing over food they eat and exercise they do. For some it is different. For a hindu brahmin, that is irrelevant. In fact i have rarely seen any of them talking about longevity at all. For them life continues forever in different forms (in some sense true from a pure conservation of energy/matter principle). The linear, finite way of looking at life (and hence we must pack as much into it regardless of the consequences elsewhere) is a western conception.

Whatever makes you tick?
    Few but ripe.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I love Indian food and there is restaurant here here in Edmonton that focuses on local and organic food. 7-10 dishes are vegan and the other 3 are meat. The family is veg@n and they are all overweight.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    I just discovered a Vegan cafe in HK. Absolutely delicious dishes. Mana Hong Kong | Vegetarian or Organic restaurant | HK Magazine
    There are some non-vegan but vegetarian dishes as well.
    I had a wrap with grilled tofu and vegetables and pickled peppers and a raw vegan coconut cake for lunch.

By the way, everyone in the cafe, including the customers, looked friendly and healthy!
    Few but ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    I just discovered a Vegan cafe in HK. Absolutely delicious dishes. Mana Hong Kong | Vegetarian or Organic restaurant | HK Magazine
    There are some non-vegan but vegetarian dishes as well.
    I had a wrap with grilled tofu and vegetables and pickled peppers and a raw vegan coconut cake for lunch.

By the way, everyone in the cafe, including the customers, looked friendly and healthy!
    A lot of non veg*ns go to veggie places because its new, "healthy" or part of the whole fad. Or environmentalists. A lot of those people were likely meat eaters. It seems to be up to a 50/50 split. Not that there cannot be healthy vegans... Or healthy SAD eaters. For all we know, they're skinny fat, or metabolically damaged, but look okay. Who can say?

That being said, that's good you found a decent place there's a whole bunch of veg places cropping up everywhere. Even in the grocery stores its normal. When I was first vegan, there were only a few specialty items available, and I had to go to the health food store :/ and it was nice if there were even options in a regular restaurant raw vegan desserts can be crazy awesome! I make a few myself
    Last edited by Shield_Maiden; 09-17-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast