Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flavourings for rice... page 4

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    1 cup rice for 2 cups water.

No need to butter the pan...

No need to rest rice unless you are making fried rice.
    Ditto, the only thing I add is a pinch of curry powder or five spice if it matches the meal.

Bring to boil, set to low and cover for ~15 min, cut heat for ~5 more min and it's ready. It only sticks if I seriously neglect it.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    I'm using a basic small rice cooker .

Done rice last night and still caught at the bottom.

I'm wondering there's a little hole (0.5cm) with a soft blocker which is push in push out type , if to leave open as it maybe too hot and little top of pan is shaking cos of steam and pressure? Or just to lightly grease the bottom and see.

But I used 1.5 cups of rice with 3cups of liquid , bone broth / tomato passata (makes rice go red very nice) & water , 3/4 tsp of salt .

From London England UK

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Usually cooking a bigger batch helps... Or a smaller batch. A suboptimal amt of rice in the cooker will result in burnt bottom.

If you cook a lot of rice I suggest getting a better Japanese rice cooker. American rice cookers just suck. Japanese ones will last you many many uses because it is meant to be used daily.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Usually cooking a bigger batch helps... Or a smaller batch. A suboptimal amt of rice in the cooker will result in burnt bottom.
    That reminds of an Iranian friend of mine: she is able to cook rice in such a way that some of it at the bottom sort of melts but does not burn. It ends up looking like pieces of crepe. It is really tasty when you fry these pieces in duck fat and onions ...

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member

If you cook a lot of rice I suggest getting a better Japanese rice cooker. American rice cookers just suck. Japanese ones will last you many many uses because it is meant to be used daily.
    I think a general rule is always buy Japanese!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    For variations you can try sticky rice. Good with fillings in zhongzi wrapped with bamboo ( just a ball of rice around filling in bamboo leaves) and fun to eat too...mom coats meatballs with stick rice and steams them and it is fantastic.

Sticky rice is really good with mangoes too.
    Oh gawsh. This is why I still have a 50 lb rice bag from Costco with the Japanese short grain rice that's pretty sticky. Tooooo many indulgences for that one xD

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member

Don't really want to buy a bigger rice cooker just yet until I get my new place

From London England UK

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234