Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for coffee page

carolinagal79 is offline Junior Member

Suggestions for coffee

Primal Fuel
    I have reduced my coffee intake drastically, but I still drink about 6 cups per week. I have recently decided to go dairy-free also because I think it will improve my PCOS symptoms.

I need suggestions for alternatives that have a similar taste to milk or half and half. I do not like almond milk in coffee.

Also, what it the best sweetener to use? I need it to be relatively low carb and primal.

Missimia is offline Junior Member
    Once you go black, you never go back.

Seriously. Good coffee made the right way tastes perfect on its own.

laurathegoth is offline Member
    Can you tolerate it black? And gradually reduce the amount of sugar you use?
    I use raw honey in my morning coffee, but nothing the rest of the time. It needs to be good coffee though

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk or cream definitely has a distinct taste totally unlike milk or half and half, but it's what I use in my coffee. I really dislike the taste of almond milk in coffee, too. I find that with a Tbsp of coconut cream in my coffee there's no need for sugar, though once in a while I'll throw a tsp of coconut sugar in because I feel like it.
    I'm not sure there are any alternatives that taste just the same as milk does...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I used to use two tablespoons of half 'n' half and Equal. Now I use a half tablespoon of coconut oil and a couple drops of stevia. I do run it through the blender. It comes out all nice and foamy. Love it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Real coconut milk (or coconut milk powder) for me -- aka not the stuff in cartons. I don't use any sweeteners though, lost my taste for it in coffee and I really don't need it anymore.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I drink mine black. I only need to add sugar, other sweeteners, or creamer with the cheap stuff. And that's usually a sign I shouldn't be drinking it anyway.

But... Coconut milk is a good alternative. It doesn't taste exactly like milk, no. But that unique flavor is part of the reason some people PREFER it over milk/dairy.

Or you could just go bulletproof. Are you strictly no dairy, including butter, or do you do what a lot of folks do here which is skip the dairy, EXCEPTING butter from that restriction?

Ok, I ran out to the store to get coconut milk and coconut cream.

I'm at work without a can opener, so I am trying the coconut milk first. This is WAY better than almond milk!

I can't wait to try the coconut cream tomorrow! I'm hoping that I won't need any sweetener with it.

I'm trying to give up butter also. This actually hasn't been too hard. I thought I would miss it on broccoli. I'm not sure why just that one vegetable. Last night I cooked a mixture that included broccoli in coconut oil with pepper and garlic and I didn't even miss the butter.

Thanks everyone!

What are some good coffee brands that you like? Right now I have something Brazilian that I bought online for my husband. He swears coffee in the USA is all cheap/weak.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagal79 View Post
    What are some good coffee brands that you like? Right now I have something Brazilian that I bought online for my husband. He swears coffee in the USA is all cheap/weak.
    I don't really make coffee for myself at home. At home I am a tea guy. Once or twice a week though, I go out to a good coffee shop while I'm writing and sit with a steaming mug of something fairly high quality (I've got an interesting selection of gourmet coffee houses to chose from). I like the ones that are darker and richer in flavor, but I don't mean the dark "French roast," I'm talking about the flavor of the beans that have overtones of caramel or maybe chocolate kind of naturally in them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast