Thread: Super excited= pasture pork, need help with some items page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Super excited= pasture pork, need help with some items

Primal Fuel
    I ordered a 30lb supply of local pastured pork.
    Anyhow it comes with a few things I don't know a damn thing about:
    Pork backbone
    Pork shanks
    Uncured bacon

Any ideas on how to prepare those items?

But so excited- it's really hard to find ground pork around here and the pack includes 5lbs so it will be meatball city for a while!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I'm assuming the backbone is a combo baby back ribs/spare ribs or some type of rib roast. Bank on it being something dealing with ribs, anyway.

Do you have a smoker? If you do, there's your answer for those.

Shanks, no idea. Maybe you can make Pho out of it - oxtail and beef shanks are often used in it. Why not pork?

Uncured bacon c'mon. Bacon goes on everything. Bake it, crumble it and make chocolate bacon bark
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Taralphiel is offline Junior Member
    I would assume that you could cook pork shanks the way lamb ones are done? Slow cooked or braised.

Here's a non-primal recipe: Braised Pork Shanks Recipe - Tim Love | Food & Wine

Really, all you'd have to do is skip the all-purpose flour. Though someone else can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Uncured bacon c'mon.
    It isn't seasoned. I thought the point of bacon was it was cured/smoked?

I have a friend with a smoker, maybe I can get him to smoke the ribs for me if I share.

Thanks for the shank recipe. Pho sounds interesting too. I bet they use pork in it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I am jealous! I am looking at getting a bulk order of pork myself. I am tired of the low quality stuff in the grocery store.

If the backbone is really just the backbone (without ribs attached as Choco suggested might be the case) the only thing I can think to do with it is make stock... actually, I take that back, you could also use it for stock-like uses, such as boiling it in water for an hour or so and then adding in some collard greens or something. The little bits of meat would get mixed in with the greens and be delicious.

If the uncured bacon is really just fresh pork belly, the possibilities are endless. You could cure/smoke it yourself and make bacon. Or you could make this ballin' porchetta recipe:
    All-Belly Porchetta | Serious Eats : Recipes

If none of those ideas appeal, you could always just render it for lard. I found this study that showed (at least in chicken skin) that grinding the skin extremely finely before rendering resulted in a fat that was higher in vitamins and less oxidized:
    Influence of extraction temperature on amounts and... [Poult Sci. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

For the shanks, I think I would look for a good beef shank recipe and then adapt it to suit the flavor of pork better. Like maybe use something sweet like apples or pomegranate molasses. I really want to try it myself now!

If you have other odd bits, you can check out the Nasty Bits series on Serious Eats:
    Serious Eats: The Nasty Bits

Not strictly Primal, but many of the recipes can be easily adapted.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    We raised 2 pigs this year so I've been cooking a lot of pork. I second the recommendation of cooking the shanks like lamb shanks.

I've cured several batches of bacon, I've tried several methods and I don't see a big difference using honey or brown sugar or even a little molasses. Here's a link that explains it: Curing and Smoking Bacon at Home
    We have a smoker, perhaps you can use your friends.

I'm not sure what they mean by pork backbone.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 08-25-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It isn't seasoned. I thought the point of bacon was it was cured/smoked?

I have a friend with a smoker, maybe I can get him to smoke the ribs for me if I share.

Thanks for the shank recipe. Pho sounds interesting too. I bet they use pork in it.
    "Uncured bacon" generally means they just used celery seed to cure it instead of saltpeter. If it had absolutely no cure on it at all it would be sold as pork belly, not bacon. At least that's what I'd wager. My guess is that it is cured bacon, just a "natural cure." Trader Joe's bacon, for example, is "uncured bacon" but it's cured with celery powder and tastes exactly the same as mass-produced bacon. Same goes with the Oscar Mayer brand.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.