Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming the Monster - The Saga of Superbeast page

Superbeast is offline Member

Becoming the Monster - The Saga of Superbeast

Primal Fuel
    It just wasn't enough.

2013 was another year of nothing. Life had become a tedious march towards some complacent far-off death, fraught with disappointments and constant mental self-beating for being 'such a failure'... I was akin to a fattened rabbit, living off of pellets and flomping around in an uncomfortable cage.

I could see outside of the wire box and longed for something greater than the sum of the compromises I made for everyone - Something stronger, more active, more 'sinister' if you will - yet I always found the mental hasp a bit too hard to paw open, so I would slink back into the dank corner of my confines and grind my teeth, hating everything about my existence and filling the gravity well inside with whatever I could stick into my stupid mouth... It was Game Over (Already! Damn it!), and everything was so wrong that it didn't even seem worth the effort to try for something more. I'd failed, miserably, and I deserved to be the big tubby SOB that I was... 384lbs of tubby SOB, to be (cruelly) precise.

The diet in those opening days was standard SAD with an emphasis on "comfort foods" - Burgers/fries/drinks, chips, processed crap - and little to no concern about portions/amounts... I was a loser, after all. Why worry about it? Eat, drink, be moderately merry, drop dead you fat slob. ANYWAYS I kept having my roommates on my case about it (I was convinced they only cared because I paid 1/3rd of the rent... Doubted they'd noticed I'd plopped over until I started to smell...) and it was getting annoying, so I made a few very minor, token enroads into something resembling a healthy diet, but damned if those HFCS bombs and rabbit pellet foods weren't still central to my 'diet'...

It was a losing proposition. Decades of habit, "Healthy Eating", and fruitless exercise had brought me to a rather morbid acceptance of my 'status in life', and I would go through periods of doing relatively well, then I would slip back into binge eating garbage foods... The results were none too spectacular. I very nearly gave up altogether, but fortunately I came upon the MDA website and it resonated with me...

This summer I decided to try a few minor personal 'challenges' - Give up soda for a week, give up fast food for a month, etc - and somehow got a pretty good Primal foothold going as well. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try eating real foods for a week... I was right. It HELPED tremendously, in fact! The insane energy roller-coaster stopped, the cravings for soda and crap from a box ended, I was moving like a lion - Upright, proud, strong, swiftly - instead of flomping around and aching like an obese herbivore, and I started to lose weight like MAD! And I was doing this by eating bacon, eggs, steaks, and vegetables! My mindset cleared up, I found the 'inner fire' that I though had long ago extinguished forever, and damn it I felt like a BEAST!

I was Becoming the Monster that 'they' don't want me to be... "They" being the people who were inconvenienced by my drive, intimidated by my potential, infuriated by my refusal to sink to their level. I had finally risen from the food-induced miasma and found something to embrace that made a REAL difference - REAL FOODS.

Within a few days I had acquired a nice set of Lodge Cast Iron cookwear and reawakened my ability to cook. The first few meals may not have been ideal (and most were aesthetically unappealing to be sure) but I ate them with a sense of pride and joy that had been missing for decades! Shopping went from a tedious grind that filled the cart with boxes of corn-squeeze laden Frankenfoods to quick, pleasant trips from Produce to Meats to Dairy (and okay, the occasional trip "into the heart of darkness"... For seasonings and the marked-down aisle), and my fridge started to become barren of boxes, replaced with cheery vegetables...

I have to admit I'm rather enthused about making something new of myself - The fight is ON! Within a few weeks of starting the new way of eating I was able to bound up the stairs I was trudging up before, found boundless new energies, and whittled down to, oh what was it... 345lbs last time I checked? Amazing! For the first time in decades I feel that there is a chance at becoming something greater than just another office rabbit... I can become THE BEAST that I was always meant to be! Active, strong, attractive, smart, capable... There's no limit with Primal/Paleo, and even if there were a limit I'm just in the mood to PUSH the limits now, just to see how far this can go...

It's great to have a community where I can express my joys and triumphs, seek advise, and enjoy the camaraderie of other people who are dedicated to making real foods and real eating work in this mad, mad boxed-up world. I look forward to continuing the saga...
    Eat like a Beast, feel like a Beast!
    Eat from a huge bag of processed junk... Well... You know.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! I can't wait to follow your trip.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Wow Beast you are amazing, I'm so glad you found us here on MDA! Can't wait to watch you push your limits!

If you need any advice on cooking I'd be happy to help, I'm a former chef and I've been primal for 3+ yrs. I love the way we you are enthusiastically embracing real food.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Great read, Superbeast. Welcome I love your perspective on this journey, it's so refreshing when someone is so excited about making the most of their own potential, beginning with eating well. Cool to meet you.

stoney56 is offline Member
    I've always wondered what those rabbits are thinking.

Good luck with your journey, somehow you've turned the table! Keep it going!

Myrtille is offline Member
    Like your writing.
    Will be pleased to read how things are going for the monster !

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Well now I've done it... I managed to get one of my roomies started on Primal/Paleo eating! There's still a bit of a transition to go, but so far he's lost something like 9lbs just winging it, and I'm sure that with those kind of results + borrowing my copy of PB he will come further into the fold in time.

As for me, I've continued to work towards something more beastly, found myself far more calm and cool than before, met a few women who have piqued my interest (and fueled the drive to Become the Monster a bit more!) and publically threatened the lives of an eggplant and a spaghetti squash who have been hanging around my fridge a bit too long... It's crazy, but it's my kind of crazy. I just wish I had a huge steak right about now...

Lunches as of late consist of a beef patty with cheese, a baby spring mix salad (because soggy iceberg lettuce is probably the saddest thing ever) and a homemade vinegar/oil dressing that I could admittedly tweak a bit to be better... I'm somewhat horrified to think that "lunch" used to be some horrid birdseed-coated slab of chemi-crap in a plastic body bag tucked into a cardboard coffin... I do admit to a bit of a craving for cheesecake (and have been looking into some Primal/Paleo options, of course) and am contemplating some homemade "Primal s'creme" (ice cream?) but it's nothing I can't overcome with some willpower and a nice, thick steak...

Patiently awaiting break time so I can go walk around in the cool night air now... Not much of one for super-strong sunlight or 90+ degree temps, so I kinda hang around inside the cave until later in the evening and THEN go for my jaunts. I have to admit that it's nice to feel some energy again for once! I need to find some more creative outlets...

Been somewhat discouraged lately... I've apparently hit a plateau around 344lbs and I hate it. I want to be in awesome shape NOW, damn it! Time is a'wastin... I know, I need to be more patient, redouble my efforts, etc... This too shall pass, but damn it's getting old!

I find that my mood is HORRID whenever sugar or flour sneak into the equation, and OF COURSE this last weekend was ridiculous and sickeningly conventional. I did a damned good job of evading grains and crap, BUT as my budget would have it I fell flat money wise (plus it was my godson's birthday party) and had a couple slices of all-natural gluten free uncured pepperoni pizza to help me coast to the next proper Primal meal... Also *tried* to eat an orange mini cupcake but got in about six chews before I spit it out, rinsed my mouth out, and said never again. It wasn't BAD, per se, but it sure as Hell wasn't my thing anymore! Hit the wall HARD after all that, and that was "good for you" hippie whole grain stuff too! Still not quite up to par, but did manage to get some actual food in between then and now, so I seem to be on the uphill swing... Still kinda hate myself for it though. No, loathe is a better word... I'm 1000% sure that self-hatred comes with the grains/sugars. When I eat right I am astonishingly positive (and I daresay somewhat arrogant) about myself.

Maybe I am more affected by sugars/additives/grains that I had first suspected. Talk about being DOWN, man once I eat some of the stuff I used to eat all the time I hit rock bottom! If anything I want to step my game UP, find some grass-fed local beef/meat/etc, and dial things in even further in the hopes of breaking through this plateau... These things take time, though. It's kind of infuriating to think about how mislead I was by CW... "Eat healthy grains, low fat, from a box, peasant food, etc"...
    I just wish I knew the things I know now back when I was younger... Ah well. It's not over yet...

"This diet is going to KILL YOU!"

God damned right. Pass the bacon. I want to watch my heart burst from my chest and skid across the floor... If I'm lucky I'll get a bite before I fade into nothingness.

PLEASE.

My roommate was kind enough to make some enchiladas, and in the name of goodwill and friendship I ate some of them last night... She went all out with them - Gluten-free tortillas, good ingredients, etc. There was no way I could refuse...

In retrospect, I should have found a way. Delicious as they are, the effects came back HARD a mere couple hours later, and I'm still dragging frame tonight. Yes, I know, she tried very hard to accommodate my diet... That is much appreciated. It only takes a little CW BS to have me grinding my gears, though...

Tomorrow I will break out the contraband bacon, maybe make a frittata, eat some salad and a slab o' cow, and hopefully I will begin to fire on all cylinders again. Such is diplomacy I suppose... I think next time I will have to bring her more towards my end of the eating spectrum and play the chef! Just gotta figure out something that fits everyone's diet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast