Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone broth suggestions? page

PinkyT is offline Junior Member

Bone broth suggestions?

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading Jaminet and others who highly endorse bone broth as a supplement. I finally made some this week out of grass fed beef soup bones and was pretty pleased with how it turned out. After refrigeration, the first batch was gelatinous, & the fat was easy to skim off & save. The second batch (with the same bones) is still brewing as I write. However, when I served little 3 oz. bowls as an appetizer tonight, my husband & teenage son balked. They did get it down, but they weren't too happy about it. For the past 2 months, they've been good sports & willing participants regarding most of my primal foods, so they are not just being picky. I think the broth tastes okay--like a beef broth in a soup might taste--but even I would not want it every day. Since my husband has joint issues, I was planning for him to drink 8 oz. in the a.m. & 8 in the p.m., but that is not going to happen at this point. Do any of you have suggestions for how I can make the broth more palatable or how I can incorporate it in other foods? Do any of you drink that much in a day? Does he need that much? Thanks!

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Use it as a soup base or replace water with it when cooking rice; add it to chili. I never eat it plain, it's too bland. I salt it well and eat it with potatoes or rice, add meat or clams or other seafood, nutritional yeast, peas, chives, etc. anything to spruce it up and make it more palatable. It's quite good as a soup.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I drink it all the time. Did you season it with salt? Also adding a bit of lemon juice or sherry vinegar makes it taste less murky. You may want to start them on chicken bone broth first. Then next batch, add a few beef bones. Also, did you add some carrots, onions and celery? I roast all of my bones and veggies before dumping everything into my slow cooker.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    I'm with J3nn. Nothing against drinking it straight, but I think it works best when I add it to big batches of chili, stew, etc that I them eat throughout the week.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I like it on its own also, but for something different, I'll add coconut aminos to it. Also nori cut up into pieces. And yes, salt.

Anne Burrell says not to salt soups until the end, and I don't, but plain bone broth does need something.

I don't know if this would work for your husband, but when I'm reheating bone broth, sometimes I break an egg into it when it starts to come to boil, then stir as the egg is setting so it breaks into small pieces. Kind of a faux egg drop soup.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

PinkyT is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Oceangrl, I did cook it with all the veggies you mentioned & with salt, thyme, & a couple Tbsps of apple cider vinegar. (For this second batch, I removed the veggies because they were turning to mush.) It's not that the broth tastes bad or anything; I think it's just that we aren't used to "drinking" this flavor. Even when I used to eat the canned variety of veggie soups, I never slurped the broth by itself at the end, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. I will certainly try all the suggestions that you guys have mentioned. I guess I was just thinking that we would drink it with our meals the same way we used to drink a glass of milk!

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I so get that. I always strain my broth before I use it for anything. No need to have those spent veggies in there. Maybe just go with the other posters ideas of soups and stews for now. Seriously..my DD has gone from "ew..what do you mean bone broth" to "Mom can I come get some bone broth".

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkyT View Post
    Do any of you have suggestions for how I can make the broth more palatable or how I can incorporate it in other foods? Do any of you drink that much in a day? Does he need that much? Thanks!
    I always make it into a blended vegetable soup. Sauté a leek in butter at the bottom of the pot, add stock, then...

• "Italian" - tomato paste, chopped fresh oregano and basil
    • "bisque" - boil and simmer a head of cauliflower or turnips and chopped rosemary and thyme
    • "borscht" - beets, fennel, and a little cream
    • "autumn" - squash with nutmeg and cloves

I attack it with a wand blender then store in glass quart bowls. I eat 1 cup 2~3 nights a week and the last serving is by far the best. Fresh herbs only get better as time passes.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    I'm with J3nn. Nothing against drinking it straight, but I think it works best when I add it to big batches of chili, stew, etc that I them eat throughout the week.
    Yeah, we make broth then use it in a variety of manner. I really like chicken broth straight from the cup, but beef i prefer as a glaze, gravy, soup base, added to a variety of foods in a lot of different ways. Really though I can drink a couple cups a day no problem. Its excellent in place of coffee in the evening before bed.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I say start with chicken. I've made chicken broth loads of times. Always turns out great. I add chicken parts, a whole head of garlic, couple table spoons of vinegar, lots of coarse salt and peppercorns, add water to the top of the chicken and cook on low in a slow cooker for 24hrs. I add water if it stars to get low. At the 18-20hr mark I add a bunch of yellow onion, carrots and celery. I also taste it at this point and add more salt if needed. Once done, I strain it all, chuck the parts/veggie and put the golden goodness in the fridge. divide it as needed. It tastes fantastic as is. Even my 4yr old drinks it and she hates ALL meat

I followed this link when I was first starting. Great suggestions in the comments sections. (One guy talked about roasting beef bones in tomato paste before cooking. Have to try that one day)

Easy Recipe: Mineral-Rich Bone Broth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast