Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bone broth suggestions? page 2

PinkyT is offline Junior Member
    I'm definitely going to try the blended soup suggestion for this beef bone broth, and I'm looking forward to making a chicken one next. However, the one little specialty market in my area carries only grass fed beef bones, no other bones at all. Do you guys just use whole chickens from the shelves of the average grocery store?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkyT View Post
    Do you guys just use whole chickens from the shelves of the average grocery store?
    I avoid the huge brands (Tyson, Purdue, etc.) because I know they're sourced from the lowest bidder but every co-op deli will have rotisserie chickens that will be a notch better even if not fully organic/pastured. My main poultry stock is from pastured turkey wings since they're so inexpensive.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Like picklepete, I usually buy turkey wings. I can get pastured turkey wings easier than pastured chicken wings. I prefer chicken wings. They seem to always make a gelatinous broth.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkyT View Post
    I'm definitely going to try the blended soup suggestion for this beef bone broth, and I'm looking forward to making a chicken one next. However, the one little specialty market in my area carries only grass fed beef bones, no other bones at all. Do you guys just use whole chickens from the shelves of the average grocery store?
    I buy from a local farm that sells at the farmers market close to my house. They have 2 sets of backs and necks, with all the bits in between (minus the legs, thighs, wings, and breasts) for $5! Stupid cheap and makes amazing soups. I've also bought feet from them for $2 a bag (multiple feet in the bag). That makes it incredibly gelatinous. I just requested to get on there "chicken feet" waiting list. Somehow if became a commodity and everyone has jumped on board. Oh well. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12