Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Superfights page

wiltondeportes Guest

MMA Superfights

This board probably isn't loaded with MMA fans, but I expect to get more intellectual responses here than at a fighting forum. So I've been thinking today about a few matchups with the idea of seeing if a supreme fighter would rise above them all, an Achilles of our time if you will. So give me your opinion on each of the following matchups. We're going to assume each fighter is in his prime (so the newer guys don't have an advantage on the old guys) and fighting at an equal weight.

1. Fedor Emelianenko vs Cain Velasquez

2. Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva

3. Winner of #1 vs Winner of #2

4. (Wildcard) Dan Henderson vs Junior Dos Santos

5. Winner of #3 vs Winner of #4

Personally, I think Jon Jones comes out of this tournament the victor. He has too much length for the heavyweights when it comes to striking. He's still great with takedowns, submissions, and grappling defense (so a guy like Velasquez wouldn't have an easy time). He would just overpower Silva. We may not have seen the best of Jones either.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You assume Jones will overpower Silva, but you say they're fighting at an equal weight. Also, you're talking about reach advantages, but you have to imagine scaling the fighters. I think this thought experiment (*) is so fraught with problems that nobody can say. So I pick BJ Penn to win the entire thing.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You assume Jones will overpower Silva, but you say they're fighting at an equal weight. Also, you're talking about reach advantages, but you have to imagine scaling the fighters. I think this thought experiment (*) is so fraught with problems that nobody can say. So I pick BJ Penn to win the entire thing.
    Just entertain me...

Striking power is all about torque, similar to swinging a bat/club or throwing a ball/spear. Silva could add weight to match Jones, but I don't think he could add enough power to match Jones in that department. Bone structure plays a role here.

Plus, when we say "overpower", we don't just literally mean raw strength. I think we often mean striking dominance in general. Jon Bones has a big reach advantage on Silva, and that would help him land more punches regardless of his power advantage.

It would be a close fight, thanks to the great skill and intelligence of both guys, but Bones simply has the numbers on his side.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-23-2013 at 03:23 PM.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    IMHO, THE supefight has already happened Fedor vs. CroCop.

Rutten vs Cain Velasquez would be interesting.

All things being equal, and all fighters in their prime, I'm saying gsp or bj penn takes it all. Perhaps even liddell or couture. In their prime, those dudes were all untouchable. Of the guys listed, silva. A reach advantage doesn't mean anything when the smaller fighter knows how to fight as a smaller fighter. It's when they try to fight as a bigger guy that they get in trouble.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    If we're making all things equal (a fairly silly proposition, but hey), I'm gonna have trouble betting against GSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Bill View Post
    I don't know about Liddell. Don't get me wrong he was extremely tough, but pretty wild and not an accurate striker. I don't think he's the same caliber of fighter as the other u guys listed
    Agreed. He is most definitely a wildcard. Not the same caliber as the other guys, but virtually impossible to take down, and fists like bricks, he has much more than a puncher's chance.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    A reach advantage doesn't mean anything when the smaller fighter knows how to fight as a smaller fighter.
    Explain that. The smaller fighter may know how to fight like a smaller fighter, but the bigger fighter can also know how to fight like a bigger fighter. Reach has always been a clear advantage in most types of fighting that I have seen or participated in. Some fighters have gotten by without it, but they had other exceptional traits to make up the difference.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    If we're making all things equal (a fairly silly proposition, but hey), I'm gonna have trouble betting against GSP.
    GSP doesn't seem to have a game that would scale up against bigger opponents. He has a great athletic advantage in his weight class, but he's 170 with a 6'2" reach. Put him against Silva, who's 185 with a 6'6" reach, and I don't think he has the same success. Put him against an even bigger guy like Jon Jones, and I think GSP gets overwhelmed.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    GSP doesn't seem to have a game that would scale up against bigger opponents. He has a great athletic advantage in his weight class, but he's 170 with a 6'2" reach. Put him against Silva, who's 185 with a 6'6" reach, and I don't think he has the same success. Put him against an even bigger guy like Jon Jones, and I think GSP gets overwhelmed.
    Wait, I thought we were making everyone the same weight and height? I'm confused. So if GSP and whoever else are the same size/weight/whatever...I wouldn't bet against GSP. Great defense, super-technical...I dunno. He's like a robot that sits there and analyzes everything you throw at him, then finds your weakness and exploits it. Although I've seen a bit less of this in recent fights than in years past--he's gotten a bit conservative and afraid to lose, I think...but in his prime?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast