Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Fasting Post-Workout - Good, Bad, Okay?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,635

    Fasting Post-Workout - Good, Bad, Okay?

    I've been on a 21/3 IF regimen most days of the week for the past two weeks. It seems to work relatively well for my purposes. My feeding window is between 6 and 9 pm.

    But I work out in the morning, either at 6:30 or 7:30. I crossfit most days. This means that I'm fasting post-workout pretty much every single day. Is this bad?

    I haven't noticed any ill effects, but I just want to make sure that I'm not unknowingly screwing myself over.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    5,612
    It depends on the intensity of your workouts! When getting in better condition you will also get the ability to train harder, more intense and dig yourself more down, so if you don't get carbs, b-vitamins and some protein immediately post-workout, you will not recover that well, and soon feel weary and beaten up... When that happen del-load and start getting carbs, b-vitamins and proteins immediately post-workout, preferable also some fast acting carbs intra-workout...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

    - Schopenhauer

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,322
    IMO, no big deal as long as you feel fine and get adequate nutrition. If you were trying to pack on muscle I would say to get something in you post workout.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    225
    This is what I do also Lift 7:00 fasted until dinner - I normally drink a BCAA supplement around 11:00 - thats it

    Works great for me - I am lean and tight and building muscle too

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,030
    Brodude, you totally gotta get plenty of carbs and protein in IMMEDIATELY post-workout or you'll never get swole. Brah.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,635
    Lol! All right, I guess it's fine unless I start to feel like crap.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Lol! All right, I guess it's fine unless I start to feel like crap.
    Yes, just be aware that when you progress with your training/diet it will happen sooner or later! When being LEAN and in very good condition you can easily deplete your glycogen stores in a hard training session and put your body in high demand of energy. And since the body can only deliver around 4 gram( = 33 calories/pound of bodyfat!) of fat from each pound of fat that you carry on your body every 24 hours, it will not get enough energy fast enough if you work out in the morning and eat in the late afternoon. So the body start massively breaking down proteins in lean tissue and convert it to glucose and you feel shitty and like crap when that happens…
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

    - Schopenhauer

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes, just be aware that when you progress with your training/diet it will happen sooner or later! When being LEAN and in very good condition you can easily deplete your glycogen stores in a hard training session and put your body in high demand of energy. And since the body can only deliver around 4 gram( = 33 calories/pound of bodyfat!) of fat from each pound of fat that you carry on your body every 24 hours, it will not get enough energy fast enough if you work out in the morning and eat in the late afternoon. So the body start massively breaking down proteins in lean tissue and convert it to glucose and you feel shitty and like crap when that happens…
    I'm not really lean yet so I think I'll be okay. The goal is to get lean. I don't think I'd do anything this extreme if I were already lean. I have 25% body fat so I think that's probably enough to feed me.

    Shield_Maiden -- not being able to eat that much food in a 3-hour window is exactly why I'm doing it. It's a way for me to restrict calories without feeling like I'm restricting. One big meal a day feels more satisfying than 2 or 3 small meals.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes, just be aware that when you progress with your training/diet it will happen sooner or later! When being LEAN and in very good condition you can easily deplete your glycogen stores in a hard training session and put your body in high demand of energy. And since the body can only deliver around 4 gram( = 33 calories/pound of bodyfat!) of fat from each pound of fat that you carry on your body every 24 hours, it will not get enough energy fast enough if you work out in the morning and eat in the late afternoon. So the body start massively breaking down proteins in lean tissue and convert it to glucose and you feel shitty and like crap when that happens…
    I think I read about that on bay.com, the part about how much energy you can burn from fat. But I don't believe it. We can try to reason through the whole thing. To begin with, I guess you'd have to actually look critically at the study that was supposedly done to prove it, the methods that were used, etc., then draw your conclusions from there to tell wether it was actually a legit study or not.

    That's just to begin with. But we really can reason through it. You can store 2000 calories worth of glycogen, probably plenty more dependent on your muscularity. So that pretty much leaves you safe unless you're going too low on the carbs and exercising A LOT.

    Second of all, how much do you really think you can burn in a workout? You'd probably burn several hundred calories after a HARD hour long endurance workout. Most people won't even come close. Because they don't workout that hard. How much do they really burn? Probably 500 at the most.

    Also, if there really was any truth to such statements, starving people would die before all their fat was gone. But they don't. All the fat goes away first, then muscle, then you die.

    I suppose I could come up with some more points to support my argument, but I'm lazy. I don't disagree just for arguments sake; I'm just trying to keep it real. Believing in such nonsense only perpetuates fear of food and unnecessary excessive compulsive dieting, that which is undesirable and was also nonexistent during paleolithic times. We don't want that, we want freedom.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    I think I read about that on bay.com, the part about how much energy you can burn from fat. But I don't believe it. We can try to reason through the whole thing. To begin with, I guess you'd have to actually look critically at the study that was supposedly done to prove it, the methods that were used, etc., then draw your conclusions from there to tell wether it was actually a legit study or not.

    That's just to begin with. But we really can reason through it. You can store 2000 calories worth of glycogen, probably plenty more dependent on your muscularity. So that pretty much leaves you safe unless you're going too low on the carbs and exercising A LOT.

    Second of all, how much do you really think you can burn in a workout? You'd probably burn several hundred calories after a HARD hour long endurance workout. Most people won't even come close. Because they don't workout that hard. How much do they really burn? Probably 500 at the most.

    Also, if there really was any truth to such statements, starving people would die before all their fat was gone. But they don't. All the fat goes away first, then muscle, then you die.

    I suppose I could come up with some more points to support my argument, but I'm lazy. I don't disagree just for arguments sake; I'm just trying to keep it real. Believing in such nonsense only perpetuates fear of food and unnecessary excessive compulsive dieting, that which is undesirable and was also nonexistent during paleolithic times. We don't want that, we want freedom.
    You are writing a rather long posting without seeing the context of the thread! We are talking about intermittent fasting where a person work out in the morning and eat in the late afternoon and in a calorie deficit. Do you really think that a relative lean woman stores 500 gram of glycogen (2000 kcal) in her body when going for her early morning workout without eating? And since you admit that you are a lazy person, I am not going to do the homework for you, just let me say that people can die from starvation, i.e. various types of illness related to not getting enough energy for their bodies demand, even if they still have fat stored on their body, especially if they also work hard. That’s because of the humans limited capacity to release body fat fast enough to cover the urgent demands…
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

    - Schopenhauer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •