Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting Post-Workout - Good, Bad, Okay? page

diene is offline Senior Member

Fasting Post-Workout - Good, Bad, Okay?

I've been on a 21/3 IF regimen most days of the week for the past two weeks. It seems to work relatively well for my purposes. My feeding window is between 6 and 9 pm.

But I work out in the morning, either at 6:30 or 7:30. I crossfit most days. This means that I'm fasting post-workout pretty much every single day. Is this bad?

I haven't noticed any ill effects, but I just want to make sure that I'm not unknowingly screwing myself over.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    It depends on the intensity of your workouts! When getting in better condition you will also get the ability to train harder, more intense and dig yourself more down, so if you don't get carbs, b-vitamins and some protein immediately post-workout, you will not recover that well, and soon feel weary and beaten up... When that happen del-load and start getting carbs, b-vitamins and proteins immediately post-workout, preferable also some fast acting carbs intra-workout...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    IMO, no big deal as long as you feel fine and get adequate nutrition. If you were trying to pack on muscle I would say to get something in you post workout.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    This is what I do also Lift 7:00 fasted until dinner - I normally drink a BCAA supplement around 11:00 - thats it

Works great for me - I am lean and tight and building muscle too

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Brodude, you totally gotta get plenty of carbs and protein in IMMEDIATELY post-workout or you'll never get swole. Brah.

Lol! All right, I guess it's fine unless I start to feel like crap.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Lol! All right, I guess it's fine unless I start to feel like crap.
    Yes, just be aware that when you progress with your training/diet it will happen sooner or later! When being LEAN and in very good condition you can easily deplete your glycogen stores in a hard training session and put your body in high demand of energy. And since the body can only deliver around 4 gram( = 33 calories/pound of bodyfat!) of fat from each pound of fat that you carry on your body every 24 hours, it will not get enough energy fast enough if you work out in the morning and eat in the late afternoon. So the body start massively breaking down proteins in lean tissue and convert it to glucose and you feel shitty and like crap when that happens…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Whoa! I could never eat that much food in a three hour window! Like a frigging boss!

I IF 16/8 split, 8pm to 12noon - workout early morning, work (on feet) through day. All fasted, so yes it's possible to go heavy if you need to on fasting (IMO so far). I'd think if you are hydrated and taking bcaa's to keep protein synthesis up, you would be okay. My fast lasts for hours after finishing my workout, and I just space bcaa through my day, until I break fast in the middle of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes, just be aware that when you progress with your training/diet it will happen sooner or later! When being LEAN and in very good condition you can easily deplete your glycogen stores in a hard training session and put your body in high demand of energy. And since the body can only deliver around 4 gram( = 33 calories/pound of bodyfat!) of fat from each pound of fat that you carry on your body every 24 hours, it will not get enough energy fast enough if you work out in the morning and eat in the late afternoon. So the body start massively breaking down proteins in lean tissue and convert it to glucose and you feel shitty and like crap when that happens…
    I'm not really lean yet so I think I'll be okay. The goal is to get lean. I don't think I'd do anything this extreme if I were already lean. I have 25% body fat so I think that's probably enough to feed me.

Shield_Maiden -- not being able to eat that much food in a 3-hour window is exactly why I'm doing it. It's a way for me to restrict calories without feeling like I'm restricting. One big meal a day feels more satisfying than 2 or 3 small meals.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Shield_Maiden View Post
    Whoa! I could never eat that much food in a three hour window! Like a frigging boss!

I IF 16/8 split, 8pm to 12noon - workout early morning, work (on feet) through day. All fasted, so yes it's possible to go heavy if you need to on fasting (IMO so far). I'd think if you are hydrated and taking bcaa's to keep protein synthesis up, you would be okay. My fast lasts for hours after finishing my workout, and I just space bcaa through my day, until I break fast in the middle of work.
    I never have a problem eating all my food in three hours from 6-9pm

In fact I look forward to the feast!
    Feel like a king.

I do prefer however breaking the fast after a pm lift session. I lift fasted around 5pm then eat from 6-9

I love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast