Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Girlfriend preparing for a Pageant page

Dickson is offline Member

Vegetarian Girlfriend preparing for a Pageant

Shop Now
    MDA readers,

So my 21 year old girlfriend is preparing for a local Miss America pageant (the one that focuses on intelligence and talent, unlike Miss USA). The pageant is in mid-October, and now after a few months of stubbornly ignoring my recommendations, she has turned to me for help with her diet.

She is doing the pageant because she wants to raise money for her cause, raising money for the women's homeless shelter that she is on the board of directors for. And, she is a bit of a pageant-addict after she placed 2nd runner-up at one last year in college. I don't understand it, but much like I am a football nut, she follows pageants like I follow the April NFL draft. I get excited that the Minnesota Vikings draft a LT, she gets excited that Miss Minnesota plays violin like her. The majority of the pageant judging is on platform, personality, and talent, but there is a swimsuit portion. Its purpose is to show general fitness, as part of the goal is to encourage young women towards healthy lifestyles. Being anorexic looking is frowned upon, looking like a yoga instructor is a plus.

My girlfriend has been a vegetarian since she was 16, and has no plans to ever go back. She does it for a strange combination of ethical reasons and a lifelong distaste for meat. She is about 5'4 and 130lbs, with a body fat of around 22%. She is usually anemic, and can't give blood. Her torso is very skinny, and most of the very little fat she has goes to her hips and booty. Baby got back

She hired a personal trainer back in May from our local gym, for a $1,000 contract for 5 months. With only 4 sessions a month, it comes out to nearly $50 per session. The benefit of getting the trainer to her was that she was supposed to get help with meal planning from a fellow vegetarian. What she got was a recommendation to eat tons of oatmeal and sugary, nonfat yogurt 5-6x a day. "Fat makes you fat". Additionally, the exercises she was doing were strange half-squats and "lifting" with 5lb dumbells to tone up. She still hasn't cut out her biggest vice, her morning grande iced carmel macchiato from starbucks.

Needless to say, three months later and she still isn't where she wants to be for the pageant. She has turned to her meat guzzling, 240lb caveman boyfriend who powerlifts 3x a week and puts butter in his coffee. But the problem is that it is a transition that isn't easy for her, and I am trying to find an approachable way to get her to increase her fat consumption and lose the sugar habit.

So after this long introduction, I am looking for advice. The solution I have come up with to help her in her final less than 60 days is to try a Whole30 vegetarian approach. We have the book, and my hope is that the strictness and straightforwardness of the book will help her. She has a new personal trainer that is doing better workouts, focusing on bodyweight exercises which I think is a good start. So now I think it is just down to diet.

Any tips on how to quickly hack a low-fat vegetarians diet???

Thanks!

-Jack

Zach is offline Banned
    So unless your on steroids you are carrying around a good amount of fat, correct? What makes you think your diet will work for her?

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    for sheer aesthetics, i'd approach this very carefully. cutting the sugar but replacing it with fat will more than likely create a caloric surplus, causing her to put on weight. definitely track the intake and adjust frequently if/when necessary.

try to get her to lift some weights too.

oh, and this thread is worthless without pics...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't eat fat-free Greek yogurt, but it is a reasonably good source of protein if you get the kind without added sugar. Also eggs. Lots of eggs.

Pumping iron is the best way to build shape fast, which she needs.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Good God! What a waste of money that personal trainer was! Just goes to show how shitty personal trainers at globo gyms are. I feel like 2 months isn't really enough time to do much of anything if her goal is to look like a fitness model. I'd recommend crossfit, but she already has a trainer.

What do you eat on a vegetarian Whole 30? I mean, what would be your source of protein since dairy isn't allowed? Eggs?

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Did you know that W30 has a forum with an entire vegetarian section? I would copy and paste this over there. There is also a list of foods that they suggest for a vegetarian W30. Things are allowed on the vegetarian W30 that are off limits for the non vegetarians.

Vegetarians over there that can probably advise her as far as what she could be eating better than most of us here. It is a strict program and they will definitely suggest she dump that insane coffee drink, but if she is serious about her goals, that shouldn't be a huge deal.

If she will eat fish and eggs, she will have a more successful W30. However, they do have options if she won't/can't.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Tell her to walk her ass off - literally. And if she's drinking the regular Starbucks drink, tell her to go to the skinny version. It's a savings of 90 calories a drink or 2790 calories/month. In general (as in most, not all) women aren't going to see a lot of muscle gain in two months, no matter what they do. However, one can see more definition if one loses the overlaying fat.

Protein as major macro. Decrease carbs and fat. Bodybuilders have been doing that for shows/competitions for longer than some folks have been alive.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Dickson is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    So unless your on steroids you are carrying around a good amount of fat, correct? What makes you think your diet will work for her?
    That is the point of me asking, my diet isn't for her. I've been doing Starting Strength and 5/3/1 since January(on and off), I'm 6'3 and added +200lbs to my squat. Probably 25% bodyfat, so a month ago I re-analyzed my diet and cut out the whole milk and cut my carb consumption down (from ~300g --> 20g, then now back to around 100g). Was probably at around 4k-5k calories a day. There is a reason I wasn't an inspiration for her.... but our goals were different.

For protein on whole30 it has eggs, tempeh, and full-fat yogurt as the recommendation http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Vege...pping-List.pdf
    Last edited by Dickson; 08-23-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Heavy lifting, high protein, low fat.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    oh, and this thread is worthless without pics...
    Word.... what are we working with here

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast