Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Girlfriend preparing for a Pageant page 3

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    I have a similar body type.
    Notlupus, you single?

OP, definitely have her hit some heavy weights. But I think you taking charge of her fitness is a recipe for disaster. Not because you couldn't do it, but because that's how most women operate.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Notlupus, you single?
    I will be shortly. :P

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    I will be shortly. :P
    Victory!

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    Great advice everyone, I love the girls gone lifting site.

As for her diet, it is actually pretty decent now. Her breakfast of a sugary coffee and a vegetarian breakfast sandwich from Starbucks isn't helping, but her lunch is a big salad with veggies and hard boiled eggs mixed in. Usually a side of avacado and maybe a cheese stick.

Dinner is usually a big egg mixture. We go through nearly a dozen free-range eggs a day combined, so she is getting her protein there (I'd estimate around ~70grams total a day, more would probably help).

I'm not very suspicious of her turning to me, it's just how it is. The photo I posted of her was before she moved in with me when she was a senior in college in April, doing no exercise and eating a diet of poptarts and easy mac. She figured that doing something with a trainer would be effective, but it wasn't what she wanted and now she feels the deadline pressing.

The hard part is that I am an active reader, and I've done a pretty thorough literature review of the best advice in nutrition and exercise (PB, Good Calories/Bad Calories, PHD, Warrior Diet, Leangains, Starting Strength, etc). I can't get her to read anything on diet and nutrition, however, nor exercise science. And she didn't trust me on exercise, just sort of stuck in the convential wisdom. And why shouldn't she be, when she effortlessly keeps an attractive figure. Now with a goal, she is worried and trying to improve herself, really analyzing things for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    OP, definitely have her hit some heavy weights. But I think you taking charge of her fitness is a recipe for disaster. Not because you couldn't do it, but because that's how most women operate. She is smart and a classically trained violinist, so I believe in her ability to do well in the pageant. I don't think it is a lost cause one bit.
    Exactly. I honestly am going to have to leave it to the trainer for exercise. She has a decent muscle base, so my theory is to help with a bit of fat loss to let the muscles pop a bit more.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Good diet can make up a lot for bad or no exercise. The opposite is almost never true. Walking around and lifting something occasionally won't cancel out drinking a bunch of sugary milkshakes disguised as coffee.

How to have optimal health on a vegetarian diet? Lose the vegetarian diet or accept compromised results.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    First off, you're a good boyfriend. You seem to have patience with her & you're encouraging. My girlfriend once told me she was interested in us trying a vegetarian diet, so I told her that's cool, I'm also interested in something: other women I love MEAT! I visit those in-humane slaughter houses & they just make me burp, rub my belly & ask when we're gonna try some steak. Ha, (totally joking)

I agree with Markbt, definitely drop the sugary drinks & Starbucks for now. That stuff will bloat her & flush her skin. (I'm going into pageant talk-mode here. Don't judge)

Those chicks hate the idea of lifting weights, & honestly if she starts lifting now, she may see a little spike in muscle size which you know you can't convince her is good. Burning calories is good though to keep her slender: jogging, push-ups, sit-ups, try a few pull-ups, nice long stretching routines. A lot of calisthenics to keep her balance & coordination good, when she's walking that stage, A Girls Gotta Have Grace! Maybe some dancing if she's outgoing like that, great for her rhythm.

Her diet doesn't really look counter-productive. The protein will keep her muscle tight & toned, the veggies will keep things moving & inflammation down. The key for her, I would guess is: low inflammation, skin nourished (looks like she has fair skin so hydration & vitamins from the veggies will keep from looking pasty) & no bloating.

I would keep the eggs involved, some other protein source she's comfortable with (maybe tempeh?), work an avocado in her salad for some fat (maybe a little olive oil as dressing) & keep the veggies coming. Then around a week or so before the contest, drop the dressings & the cheese, increase the intake of cold water & eat nothing but fibrous veggies. It'll be low calorie going into the contest but she'll be lookin slim & tight!

Good luck bud!
    Last edited by abc123; 08-23-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm her height, just smaller framed and therefore am maintaining at 100. Have her do some cardio/weights if she hasn't already. I was a vegetarian for 10+ years myself. These days I eat ~1500 cakes a day. High on the carbs and protein. I've never been a big fan of eating a lot of fat. No processed foods except for the odd day out every so often and for TOTM. But if course she'll have to figure out what works for her macro wise.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    This is silly. Are we being punked? If she wants to work out to reduce her clearly soft physic, she will. Why are you involved? I have known a Miss America. Your girl friend is not even close.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I have known a Miss America. Your girl friend is not even close.
    Well, that's just mean. There are hundreds of pageants below the level of Miss America, with thousands in prize money. Just because we can't all be Miss America, Wayne Gretzsky, Michael Jordan doesn't mean we shouldn't bother at all.

However, the OP's girlfriend will be competing against young women who are dead serious about what they're doing. They give up things like sugary Starbucks drinks without the slightest pang of regret. She doesn't seem like she's very realistic about the level of commitment required. Spending big bucks is not really commitment. Making significant lifestyle changes is. However, she's young and kids her age are often not realistic about what's necessary to achieve their fantasies. I suspect this will be a learning experience (or turn her off pageants altogether) and that's OK too. When you're only 21, you've got a lot of life lessons ahead of you. Or maybe she'll kick butt with her sparkling personality - who knows. That would be a good lesson too.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Your girl friend is not even close.
    Well, I thought she was cute. Way to go, OP.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast