Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Girlfriend preparing for a Pageant page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    OP, you can make an aesthetic diet "healthy primal". But healthy and primal are not inherently concerned with aesthetics. So yes your probably gonna have to bastardize many of the regular advice. Then again your talking a beauty pagent, not some fitness and bodybuilding competition that requires obscene "rippedness". Its just tough to advise making any major changes with only 1-2 months to acclimate.

neowild is offline Member
    I'd get her to purchase the iPhone/Android app, You Are Your Own Gym and get busy. It is effing awesome. I think she still has time to almost complete the beginner's 10-week program. It'll whip her into shape better than her "trainer."

If you could open her up to becoming a Pescetarian she's get some great nutrition from egg yolks, fish and shell fish.

Dickson is online now Senior Member
    I realize I am probably being trolled to post a photo of her butt, but for the sake of science.... (not her butt) imgur: the simple image sharer

As you can see, she is already in pretty good shape and it's not like she needs to do a major overhaul. Getting her to lift heavy has been hard, the recent article on Startingstrength.com on how to talk to women about lifting heavy has been helpful but I still can't out influence her trainer, who recommends squats above parallel and supersets of ab work.
    Last edited by Dickson; 08-23-2013 at 10:47 AM.

katiepotato is offline Member
    Get her to take a look at the Girls Gone Strong site, particularly the recent blog series about getting lean. There are also plenty of workout suggestions, including an article about deadlifts and one specifically covering squat technique.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Try tons of egg yolks and ghee. Tell her to try the coffee with a shot of sugar free caramel if she really needs a Starbucks caramel-y fix.

Journal: www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87464.html
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 08-23-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Also do long walks on elliptical with high resistance. I do an hour slowly on super high resistance and it does wonders to tone places that dead lifts/squats/lunges don't. I would recommend convincing her to lift though.

Journal: www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87464.html
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Everyone has good advice. But....
    She's "asking" for your advice, but seems to resist you. She doesn't want to give up her sugary coffee desserts, doesn't want to eat protein (you aren't really specific about her vegetarian diet), doesn't want to eat fats, wants to eat carbs, doesn't want to lift heavy, buys trainers who tell her what she wants to hear, and then whines at you to "help" her at the last minute, from a completely different perspective (primal)?

I dunno--sounds like a set-up to me. If I were you (i'm not, i'm a 58 yo woman), I would tell her that you support her in her goals. Period. Come-on, she's WATCHED you eating and lifting for some time now, so she knows what you do.
    Be nice. But don't be the fall-guy....

Two months is too short to turn all this stuff around, which is what she would need to do to strengthen and lose body fat for a pageant. So when it doesn't work, who is she going to blame?
    Last edited by drjoyous; 08-23-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: forgot stuff

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    I realize I am probably being trolled to post a photo of her butt, but for the sake of science.... (not her butt) imgur: the simple image sharer

As you can see, she is already in pretty good shape and it's not like she needs to do a major overhaul. Getting her to lift heavy has been hard, the recent article on Startingstrength.com on how to talk to women about lifting heavy has been helpful but I still can't out influence her trainer, who recommends squats above parallel and supersets of ab work.
    Could you have her turn around?.... Cant tell a thing from that angle

diene is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, she looks pretty good in the picture. Definitely slim enough. Had she just done crossfit at the beginning when she still had 5 months, she'd look fantastic for the pageant. But now she only has 2 months left so I don't know if there's much that can be done. I guess some serious weight lifting. None of that stupid 5-lb dumbbell BS. Lunges always make my butt sore so I'm guessing that they work the ass muscles. Have her do barbell lunges. And everything else too:
    Bench press
    Push press
    Overhead press
    Back squat
    Deadlift
    BB Lunges
    Pull ups, pushups, dips
    Toes to bar or knees to elbows
    Hollow holds and planks
    Best not to rely on the silly globo gym trainer.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a similar body type. I'd suggest a shit ton of situps and other ab exercises. You can't make the thighs skinny in 2 months, but you can get some definition in the abs where there isn't much fat to hide it. I've found that when I've got nice abs everyone is too jealous to notice a little thigh jiggle. :P

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast