Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats goin' on??? page 6

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't track my calories anymore, but a rough estimate is around 30% fat/35-40% protein/30-35% carbs.
    I mean no disrespect ChocoTaco, but you seem to the total opposite of a lot of what Ive read here over the years, and the books! The majority seem to agree that in percentages, fat comes first, then protein and then carbs. Yours seems to be the total opposite!
    I'm not saying this to say your wrong, whatever works for you is great! But I know that eating that way is what made me change to the paleo/primal way in the first place because it just wasnt working!!

Also, your comment : "I'd prefer the 12 egg omelet than 2/3 of a stick of butter" well thats just an opinion. For me? Id rather have the butter in my coffee!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Rattybag, I think there are others who do advise eating their food rather than drinking calories and personally that makes sense to me too. As does eating a balance of protein, fat and carbs - with protein being the first one to be dialled in. To be fair, I would hardly describe Choco's mix of roughly equal calories as the "opposite" of anything. If what you're doing is not working (which you admit), then please take note of everyone's input.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    For me? Id rather have the butter in my coffee!
    But this isn't working for you either, if you're making a post asking what's going on.

Some can't do high fat. I'm one of them, it makes me gain. That's just the breaks. I'm actually having success with greater satiety eating some of the things that are meant to be "in moderation" under the Primal Blueprint.

I assume it's been suggested, keep the macros if you want, but lower your overall calories by a bit and see how that goes for a few weeks. If it's not working, you're going to have to try something else if you want to see success.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Rattybag, I've been fighting Chocotaco for months. He routinely touts his diet as the One True Diet. His way may work for young men, but it doesn't work for middle-aged women.

That said, you're eating too much fat, not enough meat, and it looks like you aren't getting nearly the nutrients you need.

I suggest trying something radical.

Steak
    Eggs
    Kale
    Berries
    Green Tea
    A little butter and salt for flavor.

That's all. For 4-6 weeks. If that doesn't shock your system into weight loss, then I'll admit that *I'm* at a loss.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Why so much coffee? Do you really like the taste, or are you trying to put off hunger? Are you unable to make it through the day energy wise without it?

I think you should try eating only actual food for a while. Have your morning cup of coffee, but try to eliminate the rest to see how your body is functioning. If you are having energy depletion issues and can't keep going without the coffee, you need to make some changes to your diet. You may be masking some problems, possible nutrient deficiencies, with your overuse of coffee. Just something to consider.

Thanks Oxide, I give your suggestion a try!!

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Why so much coffee? Do you really like the taste, or are you trying to put off hunger? Are you unable to make it through the day energy wise without it?
    I drink coffee because I love it is the simple reason. I dont feel its a 'need' but more of a 'want'!
    My energy function seems fine.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    But this isn't working for you either, if you're making a post asking what's going on.
    This. You have asked for help but appear to be pushing back against the advice you're getting. You've been advised repeatedly to go lower fat. Stop eating so much fat, and drinking coffee "with a touch of cream" all day long.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    This. You have asked for help but appear to be pushing back against the advice you're getting. You've been advised repeatedly to go lower fat. Stop eating so much fat, and drinking coffee "with a touch of cream" all day long.
    OK OK! Hush my mouth! Wish I never asked! There is no need to attack me.
    I wont ask again.
    Thank you to those that gave constructive advice.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Low carb may make it easier because it decreases appetite for many people.
    Lower fat may work because fat is so calorie dense that you can eat more filling bulky foods and so feel sated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is. If all she ate every day was the equivalent calories of refined white sugar, she'd lose weight, too. Probably more than the butter, actually, since all that sugar would probably send her thyroid through the roof. Both are bad ideas.

Fat isn't very anabolic. Out of fat, protein and carbohydrate, a diet high in fat will likely lead to the most lean tissue loss than anything else. A diet high in protein and roughly even in fat and carbohydrate (but still a calorie deficit) will likely preserve the most lean tissue. Exclusionary dieting in a deficit (low fat or low carb) seems to perform worse in studies than a balanced approach. And, of course, the more aggressive the deficit, the higher you want your protein to be and the more you should lift weights to preserve lean mass.
    Her point is that just because you think you can tell somebody what to crave, and you can order them to eat exactly what you eat, doesn't mean their bodies will obey your edicts and will be satisfied eating the restricted fat diet that you find satisfying.

You don't care whether someone finds it easier to stick to your diet or not. We aren't individuals to you, we are all exactly the same. It's all mind over matter to you. Power through those cravings. Live with them, resist them forever. Love that eating disorder mentality.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 08-24-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast