Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats goin' on??? page 4

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KiteKasia View Post
    This is great stuff Neckhammer! Thanks for help!
    I would call myself rather slim, but I do want to loose more body fat and achieve more athletic look. I don't want to bulk up, but I would love a nice girly six-pack and more muscle definition, less fat.
    But I though that on workout days there should be more carbs, on rest days more protein - true?
    Well carbs are taken up much better post work out due to increased insulin sensitivity. Well kind of... technically its Glut4 activity, but it all boils down to the same thing. So if you want to get glucose into the muscle cells quickly so that you may exercise again very soon then you would carb load after a heavy workout. If you have more time between exercise bouts (like I have 48-72hrs) then your normal daily intake will suffice to refill glycogen stores at an albeit slower rate.

Protein really should be kept up on both rest and work days, but you can manipulate carbs for a more favorable response by keeping them low on rest days and eating more on work days if you like. Lots of times you just gotta play with that aspect of things and find what works best for your own circumstance.

Just for an example from my own experience.... I eat at a sushi buffet once a week, but always after a workout. Most the rest of the week I don't bother much with starchy carbs and usually only eat a couple pieces of fruit. This works well for me. I'm male round 15% bf (5' 9" and 162lbs) and not looking to lose weight though, just adding a bit more strength....but, as I've been exercising my whole life it comes slowly these days.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I dont understand it!! NO sugar passes my lips and my calorie count is around 2000 max per day.
    Im 51, female, 5ft 4" and weight 146lbs.
    For perspective, I'm 5'6, 174 and eat about 1800 calories a day and workout hard 5 days a week.

You very well may just be eating too high of a calorie count for your age and size.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KiteKasia View Post
    Not intended as a rude question but what's your weight at the moment? And hight? And activity level... Lol.
    Just trying to compare myself to other females, boys are so different! ;-)
    I'm 5'4" and weigh 137 pounds. My exercise consists of rotating upper body exercises (bench press, pullup/chinup type, handstand, parallettes) for no more than 15 minutes on any day, and long walks while the weather holds. Sometimes very long walks. In a few minutes I'm going out for an 18 mile hike in the woods.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    sound like you need to eat some actual food.

threads like this upset me bc they show how this forum screws with people's heads.
    ditch the bulletproof coffee and eat some breakfast.
    I started the bulletproof coffee because so many people raved about it, saying what an excellent start to the day it was!
    Different forums / different people etc. all come up with different 'rules'.
    "Eat dairy / avoid dairy, eat more fat / eat less fat, more carbs, less carbs" and so on and so on.

Im just totally confused now and think in general I'll try to cut back on calories and see how that goes.
    Thanks to all that answered my initial question.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    I started the bulletproof coffee because so many people raved about it, saying what an excellent start to the day it was!
    Different forums / different people etc. all come up with different 'rules'.
    "Eat dairy / avoid dairy, eat more fat / eat less fat, more carbs, less carbs" and so on and so on.

Im just totally confused now and think in general I'll try to cut back on calories and see how that goes.
    Thanks to all that answered my initial question.
    have you read the book? if you are interested in a "primal" diet, then mark's book is the best place to start.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    have you read the book? if you are interested in a "primal" diet, then mark's book is the best place to start.
    Yup - all of em!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Rattybag, I think your diet and macros are perfect. Maybe too much protein for 0.7g protein / kg lean mass,desirable for weight loss. I eat starches only occasionally because of higher glycemic load index, not the best way to get real nutrition. It is confusing but true that different nutrition trackers give different results, but they do. So maybe try 3 (paleotrack.com is free and easy to use).

For me (5'8.5", 135 lbs, female) 1300 cals is maintenance unless I exercise much more. So do try cutting your calories down. Neckhammer's advice on this is always good.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    Yup - all of em!
    like i said earlier, i'd ditch the coffee, balance the macros a bit more, and lower the calories overall. more actual foods and less fat for the sake of eating fat. eggs and veggies for breakfast. meat and veggies for lunch. meat, veggies and carbs for dinner. snacking not needed.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Way too much fat. If I were trying to lose weight I'd keep fat <35% calories. You can't burn fat until you've exhausted dietary fat since fat is generally immediately stored upon ingestion. That's a lot of fat you have to burn daily.

2000 calories is a lot of calories for a 5'4" 51 year old female. I am a 27 year old 5'7" male that lifts heavy 4 times a week. 2000 calories would be my target for weight loss. 1400 kcal is a more realistic number for you.

Lift heavy, cycle carbohydrate. It's important to keep carbohydrate intake up to maintain thyroid function as carbohydrate is more advantageous to weight loss than fat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    I wouldn't be cutting any fat. Fat doesn't make you fat.
    Fat is almost always what makes you fat. Your body lacks a mechanism to store alcohol as fat. It is virtually impossible to store protein as fat because the amount you'd have to eat is more than any human can eat in a sitting. Carbohydrate is very rarely stored as fat and is almost always partitioned to glycogen. De novo lipogenesis in significant quantities would require something like 700+g eaten every day for several days on end for a male to store it as fat...females would have to do probably 400+g. Glycogen stores and thyroid function swell incredibly during intense carbohydrate overfeeding, so you have to eat at extreme levels to get fat. I used to eat 1,100g of carbs in a day every Friday to refeed and it would result in massive glycogen swelling, a huge body heat increase and fat loss over the next few days. Dietary fat is almost always stored as fat, though. I'd have to keep fat <40g for the entire day. Lots of "pie" with crust made out of potato starch, nonfat yogurt and applesauce...

Your body stores macros as...what they are...

Protein -> Structure
    Carbohydrate -> Glycogen
    Fat -> Fat

It is a lot of effort for your body to do anything otherwise. Carbs don't make you fat - all the fat you eat along with the carbs makes you fat.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-23-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast