Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscle fatigue page

adam204 is offline Member

Muscle fatigue

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    As mentioned in a previous post, I have started lifting heavy with the bar and also dumbbell work and I have started sprint sessions every 10 days and running at low pace in between weight training days. The problem is I feel as though my muscles are not recovering very quickly, that achy soreness after a weight session seems to linger for days. Could it be a lack of protein? Any ideas? Or is just I am not used to so much training and also that I have neved lifted weights before?
    Thanks in advance,
    Adam.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    I train intensely and ache from 24 hours after a work out to about 48-72 hours after a workout.

But beyond that i give myself a proper rest break of a few weeks before training intensely again

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    I lift heavy 3 or 4 times a week and feel fully recovered by the next session (where I normal focus on another muscle group).

I eat big on training day or the following day ( lunch is big)

After training I normally have a protein shake with berries and banana and plenty of carbs in the form of rice, potatoes, and veg etc and good sized dinner.

Muscles seem to inflate a bit after training and carbs ( and feel 'bulky' but good).

Next day no problems for day to day stuff - no soreness ( in fact I feel I could easily lift heavy again).

So yeah, maybe more protein every day and more carbs on training day or on rest day.

May be if you have never lifted before, then start slow and build up strength and fitness.

Alexis47 is offline Member
    I'm a newbie at this so take what I say as such, but I had muscle soreness for around three days every time I lifted heavy for the first two-three weeks of primal. Then that abruptly shifted to being sore for only the next day. Around the time that happened I started eating lots more protein and taking magnesium supplements (Epsom salts) in small quantities, so it could be those. I've heard some people say that low magnesium levels can cause extended soreness.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis47 View Post
    I started eating lots more protein and taking magnesium supplements (Epsom salts)
    This.

Epsom salts are probably better in the bath as the skin is better at absorbing magnesium, a lot is wasted in digestion. I regularly take Epsom salt baths, you need to sit for a minimum of 20 mins, take them before bed because they can make you crazy sleepy!
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam204 View Post
    Hi all,
    As mentioned in a previous post, I have started lifting heavy with the bar and also dumbbell work and I have started sprint sessions every 10 days and running at low pace in between weight training days. The problem is I feel as though my muscles are not recovering very quickly, that achy soreness after a weight session seems to linger for days. Could it be a lack of protein? Any ideas? Or is just I am not used to so much training and also that I have neved lifted weights before?
    Thanks in advance,
    Adam.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    A little bit of soreness is pretty normal when you train hard. But it should come down to a really manageable level once your body acclimates to the stress. If you're under-eating protein stop doing that. And epsom salt baths are great. But if you're adequately nutritionizing yourself, it's just because you're new to the lifting. Increase the stress slowly but surely and you'll be fine in no time.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    surely if you're lifting heavy/to failure each time your body is always going to be hit by the training and be sore afterwards?
    I admit this will change once at maintenance level as you're not testing the boundaries

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    surely if you're lifting heavy/to failure each time your body is always going to be hit by the training and be sore afterwards?
    I admit this will change once at maintenance level as you're not testing the boundaries
    No. Once your body is acclimated to the stress, even an increased load every workout will only result in very minor, non-debilitating soreness. The mechanisms are poorly understood, but the concensus is pretty well-established. Meaning this happens to damn near everyone.

Alexis47 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbunny View Post
    I regularly take Epsom salt baths, you need to sit for a minimum of 20 mins, take them before bed because they can make you crazy sleepy!
    Well that explains why I was so tired yesterday. I took one in the afternoon, didn't expect to be dead the rest of the day. Whoops.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    No. Once your body is acclimated to the stress, even an increased load every workout will only result in very minor, non-debilitating soreness. The mechanisms are poorly understood, but the concensus is pretty well-established. Meaning this happens to damn near everyone.
    Yes, I can confirm that. When I started, I felt mega sore but I kept at it with proper recovery. Now, I am a little sore and I can do much more than when I started ... took me months though and the slope was steep at the beginning ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast