Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Muscle fatigue page 4

adam204 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Good morning. DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is something that everyone will experience and will typically stay for 2-3 days depending on what you do for your active recovery.

Here are a few things that will help:

Water. Drink lots of water all day, during your workout and after. If your goal is to gain weight and not loose you can supplement water during your workout with coconut water. This will help replenish your electrolytes.

Dynamic warm up. Prepare your body for the load first so before you do your warm up sets start by opening the joints and warming the muscles. This prepares the body for the added stressors.

Warm up sets. At least 2 sets of 3-4 prior to your working sets. If you're going to be bench pressing 115 pounds for your working set, your first warm up should be 4 reps at approximately 50% of your working weight and your second set should be 75% of your working weight. Remember these are just warm up sets. They're not meant to tax your strength heavily.

Stretching. After your workout your muscles are shorter than when they started so now is the time to increase your range of motion. Stretch to tension, not to pain, for 10-15 seconds on each stretch. And stretch the whole body.

Eat a good carb meal with protein. If you're not worried about weight lost and are looking to gain muscle, eat your big carb meal directly after working out. This will help replenish glycogen and begin the healing process.

The day after. Repeat.

Your body will adjust and your muscle soreness will minimize but you're adding a stressor that your body is not used too. If you're finding that your really sore, take a day off and just do a dynamic warm up plus some body weight exercises then get back to it!
    HI I don't want to gain too much weight just yet, actually want to loose another 7 to 10 pounds. I've started this lifting three times a week as it says in Mark's book, I'm hoping to help me burn off the last few [pounds I want to remove.
    I'm really new to all of this weights thing amd to be honest I'm finding all this lean gain and what not a bit confusing!! I hate the thought of weighing foods to measure accurately my calories and protein and carbs etc.
    Any more help please!!!!!
    Adam.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam204 View Post
    I have started to take a protein omly shake on my lifting days. One in the morning, one before lifting and one straight after lifting plus my evening meal. I also eat plenty of eggs and meat. Should I be taking the shake every day though? to build up a base protein level?
    How much protein do you get outside of the shake? It certainly couldn't hurt to have a little extra every day.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    How much protein do you get outside of the shake? It certainly couldn't hurt to have a little extra every day.
    I don't really know in gram terms, but my usual day will start with 3 or 4 eggs, scrambled with butter, salad at lunch with mackerel fillets in olive oil and maybe half a medium sweet potato and in the evening it will be roast veg or straigh t carrots and brocolli or similar with meat. I try and eat a large steak after weight training, maybe with an added egg on top. other meats for evening meals can be pork chops, chicken or turkey. Sorry thats a bit vague I know.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, it's hard to answer "Do I need more protein" when you can't say exactly how much you're getting. I would advise you to count protein for a few days and if you're consistently getting <1gm/lb of bodyweight, try to correct that. Whey is high in the BCAA's, so I hope that's what you're using to supplement.

Yeah thats what im using. Clean unflavoured whey. Thankyou for your replies. I will try and weigh my meats and so forth for a week or so. I take it from your last post I need a minimum of 1pound per pound of weight. Im currently 175 pounds.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam204 View Post
    HI I don't want to gain too much weight just yet, actually want to loose another 7 to 10 pounds. I've started this lifting three times a week as it says in Mark's book, I'm hoping to help me burn off the last few [pounds I want to remove.
    I'm really new to all of this weights thing amd to be honest I'm finding all this lean gain and what not a bit confusing!! I hate the thought of weighing foods to measure accurately my calories and protein and carbs etc.
    Any more help please!!!!!
    Adam.
    If you only have a other 7-10 pounds then continue with the same ideas that I suggested. As you get stronger and more muscle your metabolism will increase and burn the extra weight. Keep your main carb feeding to directly after the gym and minimize carbs during the day. If you work out in the morning carbs in the morning and if you have difficulty sleeping have another smaller carb feeding before you go to sleep.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Rich mahogany also suggested to measure your protein and I would agree. That way you'll have an educated guess as to how many grams you're getting. Protein builds muscles, carbs repair so protein at every meal with healthy fats and carbs after exercise or to promote sleep.

Hi all, sorry for late reply but I've been up to my neck with work and other things. Anyway I weighed out foods over the course of a few days and used myfitnesspal to work out the figures as accurately as is possible really with that kind of thing. Here goes;
    Day 1,

Calories. 1257
    Protein. 93
    Carbs. 71
    Fat. 65

Day 2,

Calories. 1066
    Protein. 49
    Carbs. 108
    Fat. 49

Day 3,

Calories. 1259
    Protein. 72
    Carbs. 115
    Fat. 46

Day 4,

Calories. 1859
    Protein. 204
    Carbs. 81
    Fat. 85

Day 5,

Calories. 2956
    Protein. 169
    Carbs. 195
    Fat. 47

All weights are in grams, couple of days (2 and 3) were sporadic I have to admit. The days with higher protein were lifting days and I had 4 shakes throught the day.

So back to the original post, should I take 4shakes a day to up my overall protein intake?
    Any other points of note you can see from my numbers?

Thanks again all.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Unless you're a 91 lb, 11 year old female, eat more. Especially protein.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Unless you're a 91 lb, 11 year old female, eat more. Especially protein.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
    Ha ha I see what you mean, but I actually find it difficult to eat more. My meals would be massive! Hoe about if I supplemented my 3 daily meals with snacks? If so any ideas on what will help to up the calories and protein?
    And shall I have the protein shake evedyday, not just lift days?

Thanks again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast