Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscle fatigue page 2

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    ok fair enough, to be honest i think my trainer did mention this a few months back

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You've been lifting for a few months and you're still experiencing extreme soreness? What kind of program does he/she have you on?

I basically do a single set (to failure) of 6-10 reps once a month.
    I currently do squats ans pull downs

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    I basically do a single set (to failure) of 6-10 reps once a month.
    I currently do squats ans pull downs
    Okay, that's why you're sore every time. Makes sense.

Here's an article you or your trainer might find useful. T NATION | Rippetoe Throws Down

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Okay, that's why you're sore every time. Makes sense.

Here's an article you or your trainer might find useful. T NATION | Rippetoe Throws Down
    thanks for that, good to read something that is inline with how i'm trained/am training

thanks for that, good to read something that is inline with how i'm trained/am training
    ???

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam204 View Post
    Hi all,
    As mentioned in a previous post, I have started lifting heavy with the bar and also dumbbell work and I have started sprint sessions every 10 days and running at low pace in between weight training days. The problem is I feel as though my muscles are not recovering very quickly, that achy soreness after a weight session seems to linger for days. Could it be a lack of protein? Any ideas? Or is just I am not used to so much training and also that I have neved lifted weights before?
    Thanks in advance,
    Adam.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Good morning. DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is something that everyone will experience and will typically stay for 2-3 days depending on what you do for your active recovery.

Here are a few things that will help:

Water. Drink lots of water all day, during your workout and after. If your goal is to gain weight and not loose you can supplement water during your workout with coconut water. This will help replenish your electrolytes.

Dynamic warm up. Prepare your body for the load first so before you do your warm up sets start by opening the joints and warming the muscles. This prepares the body for the added stressors.

Warm up sets. At least 2 sets of 3-4 prior to your working sets. If you're going to be bench pressing 115 pounds for your working set, your first warm up should be 4 reps at approximately 50% of your working weight and your second set should be 75% of your working weight. Remember these are just warm up sets. They're not meant to tax your strength heavily.

Stretching. After your workout your muscles are shorter than when they started so now is the time to increase your range of motion. Stretch to tension, not to pain, for 10-15 seconds on each stretch. And stretch the whole body.

Eat a good carb meal with protein. If you're not worried about weight lost and are looking to gain muscle, eat your big carb meal directly after working out. This will help replenish glycogen and begin the healing process.

The day after. Repeat.

Your body will adjust and your muscle soreness will minimize but you're adding a stressor that your body is not used too. If you're finding that your really sore, take a day off and just do a dynamic warm up plus some body weight exercises then get back to it!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've found progress is irregular, and a sudden unanticipated gain in reps will be followed by muscle soreness.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    ???
    sorry was it intended to teach me the error of my ways?

It seem to align roughly with what i do, regarding training for strength, doing large movements to stimulate whole body responses, etc...

sorry was it intended to teach me the error of my ways?

It seem to align roughly with what i do, regarding training for strength, doing large movements to stimulate whole body responses, etc...
    It was intended as a suggestion that you evaluate your programming and decide whether it's in line with your goals. Doesn't seem like 2 sets/month (one main lift and one assistance exercise) is in line with the general concepts of the article, but if you think you found some common ground with your program, and you're happy with your progress, then great.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast