Thread: Home made yoghurt page

running_mum is offline Junior Member

Home made yoghurt

Shop Now
    Hi All,

I usually make my own home made yoghurt. I started with adding store bought full fat greek yoghurt for my first batch and then just save some from the home made stuff to start my next batch. I don't have a yoghurt maker, I usually just heat the milk up on the stove to the right temperature, add some yoghurt to it, and let it sit overnight.

The problem is, it always turn out very runny. I have tried adding more yoghurt to it to see if it made a difference, but it doesn't.

Any tips on making yoghurt that is thick? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Aah I have the same problem. A couple of things I have yet to get around to trying - either thicken with gelatine or strain through a cheesecloth. If these ideas work, I'd love to know.

Glass0wl is offline Member
    Hi

I make my own yogurt all the time and this is what I do.

I use an organic live greek starter each time, if you use the yogurt you make as a starter it slowly weakens the strain and it will get runnier.

I use organic milk, heat it to 85 degrees centigrade then cool it to 40 degrees centigrade. Mix in the starter, put in thermos for 9 hours. Strain through a cheesecloth for 10 mins, beat resultant yogurt and put in fridge.

This gives me my own Greek style yogurt which we both adore. The longer you strain it the thicker it gets, got mine like clotted cream a couple of weeks ago.

Hope that helps

yoder is offline Member
    The key is you need to keep it around 180 F for a longer time. Don't just get it there and immediately go back down. If you can keep it around there 20 or 30 minutes it will be much thicker. Also, it helps to really keep it at 110 for the whole incubation period, like using a yogurt maker or something. You then can strain it to make Greek yogurt, but it should be about as thick as store bought stuff without doing that.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoder View Post
    The key is you need to keep it around 180 F for a longer time.
    Yup - This

I have one left over from when I used to buy the packets, its basically a large thermos flask. I warm my milk, put it in a container with the shop bought yoghurt, put it in the flask, fill the flask up with boiling water screw the lid on and leave it overnight.

Alternatively use your runny yoghurt in smoothies
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I've never left my milk for making yogurt at 180F for very long, the key to me is just keeping it in a warm place or a hot water bath (keeping the yogurt at 110F the whole time) for the incubation period. Comes out nice & thick!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    The bacteria in store-bought yogurt thrives at warm temperatures and grows poorly at room temperature. If you want to incubate yogurt at room temperature, you can buy a yogurt culture which is bred for that purpose. Try a cheesemaking company.

kot
    kot is offline Member
    I have been wanting to try my hand at making yogurt.
    Found this this site for different types of cultures. Cultures for Health: Yogurt Starter, Sourdough Starter, Kombucha, Kefir Grains, Cheese Making and more | Supplies for a Real Food Lifestyle

I live in Alaska and my house is normaly 65f so I need temp control because room temp is to cold.

I cant decide between
    Cuisinart CYM-100 Electronic Yogurt Maker with Automatic Cooling, White : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining good for thermophilic (high temp ferment yogurt)

or

Amazon.com: Start Set Yogurutia Blue Ym-1200-nb [Corresponding to Amazake-natto Kefir Yogurt / Marketed in the Caspian Sea Temperature Control Tanica]: Kitchen & Dining vari temp allows making thermophilic or mesophilic yogurt and kefir

Has anyone used one of these to make kefir or yogurt?

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    Hi,
    I know the post was about yogurt but i saw a question about kefir in the latest post. Kefir is so easy to make, no heating or machines, all you need is the starter grains, a few glass jars/lids, a strainer and fresh milk.
    Easy, cheap & yummy!
    K