Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My wife is giving up... page

mcallit is offline Member

Exclamation My wife is giving up...

Primal Fuel
    First, let me begin by saying that I have asked and implored my wife to create an account on this forum and ask about the problems herself. As is obvious, she has chosen not to do so.

My wife is considering giving up on the PB, and it greatly bothers because she has lost weight and seems to be feeling better...at least until recently.

She has been having moments of nausea, and occasionally she has vomited in the morning after eating certain foods (fruit, for instance, which is something she's cut back on immensely!). If she eats eggs for breakfast, she feels fine, but then around lunch time she's feeling nauseous again and sometimes skips lunch even if she is hungry. Naturally, this is driving her up the wall--who wouldn't be driven insane by this, right?

She's not pregnant, contrary to what her friends tell her, and she did have a cold a week ago, and her nose is still stuffy even today.

She's been following the PB pretty well, aside from her dark chocolate (85%) indulgence and an occasional meal out (maybe 2 times in the past two weeks--I ate it with her, and I still feel fine).

As far as what she eats, she sticks mostly to meat and vegetables with a fair amount of fruits, mostly peaches and strawberries. She doesn't eat pork at all, so she doesn't dig into my bacon, and she has hard time finding enough fats to eat (she does use butter, coconut oil, and olive oil, but I'm not sure if she's eating enough of it).

I really don't want her to give up on this, but her feelings of nausea are beginning to take their toll. Has anyone else had this problem?

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    sounds like ketosis. That's when you know your sizzling the fat. If it's ketosis she will eventually get used to it.

I love dark chocolate too, 85 and 90% are my favorites.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallit View Post
    I really don't want her to give up on this, but her feelings of nausea are beginning to take their toll. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Yes. I was just thinking that I too felt like I was pregnant (not possible). When I'm zinc deficient, food makes nauseous.....this am, I almost threw up.

Typically, I take a significant amount of supplemental zinc - 30-60 mg per day but last week, I forgot to take it as I had been feeling so wonderful! By Thursday or Friday the nausea and other issues had set in and as you can see from my journal, my cal intake dropped to 700-900 kcal per day due to lack of appetite and nausea.

I started supplementing zinc again maybe on Saturday? Took it Saturday and Sunday....not monday. Then took it again yesterday though clearly my body is not yet zinc replete. As zinc supplementation on it's own can cause nausea, I've been careful to eat it with food and take small doses more frequently rather than large doses once a day.

I also can't help but wonder about her gall bladder and pancreas. Her gall bladder needs to be able to secrete enough bile to break down the fat she's digesting and her pancreas, enough enzymes to break down the protein.

How old is she? Weight/height? Health problems? Any other symptoms? Infection can also trigger vomiting. FE, some with strep throat infections will have headaches, nausea and vomiting instead of sore throats (both of my kids display those atypical symptoms when they have strep).

Will she see a doctor to rule out other issues?

Various B vitamin deficiencies can also cause nausea and vomiting. Is she taking any supplements?
    Last edited by cillakat; 06-02-2010 at 06:01 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I notice that I will get nauseated if I have a carb spike. Fruit will definately do that, being that its carby.

How long has she been at it? What are her numbers like, is she eating enough, her ratios fat/protein/carbs, what are they like? She's eating lots of fruit, so I would bet that her carbs are high. Also, of COURSE she's going to get nauseous if she's hungry. My kid who is 7 will yack in the morning if I don't get food into her fast enough, and even then they may have taken their toll. I suspect she may not be eating enough. Is she tracking things?

I eat fruit 1-2 times per week, thats my new indulgence, with a splash of coconut milk. MMmmm. Otherwise, it can be rather high in sugar.

She's 26, 5'3" tall and about 170 pounds and has been on the PB for nearly 4 months.

She does take a supplemental multi-vitamin that contains 15 mg of zinc (which, of course, it marks as 100% RDA).

She doesn't have any infections that I'm aware of, no cuts, scrapes, or anything else. I definitely know she doesn't have anything like strep (I had strep every year of my life for 14 years, so I know that illness well!).

Off hand, I can't say what her ratios are, but I would hazard to guess that she is eating more protein and fat than carbs (she eats quite a bit of chicken, steak, and eggs, all of them cooked in some form of oil or butter). She eats salads nearly everyday.

I've also wondered about her gall bladder. For years she has gotten pains in her abdomen around the area of the gall bladder, but I don't believe she's ever been to a doctor to have that specific pain looked at. However, that pain comes and goes, and it's been months since she's spoken of it.

I just don't know what to do or say to her about it. I don't want her to give up, but I want her to be happy and nausea free, too.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    H Pylori maybe?

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Does she use a tracking program at all? Its REALLY easy to overdue it with carbs. Maybe suggest that she uses a tracking program, so that she can be sure she's getting enough nutrients from what she eats.

Otherwise, when is she taking her multivitamin? If I take any of mine before breakfast, or even WITH breakfast, I'll get nauseated. I wait till about 20 minutes after I've got a full tummy then I take them.

If she's been doing this for 4 months, a sudden switch back to grains and refined carbs will really make her ill.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I am interested to see what folks say on this. When I really limit my carbs down sometimes I will go through an upset stomach phase for a couple weeks. Usually as long as I stick to super low carbs, keep my fats up, and keep something on my stomach, I make it through it. Curious what causes this though.

Would your wife be willing to do maybe a trial for a week or two? Cut the fruit out, measure her daily carb intake, and increase fats a bit just to see how she feels? I would think after 4 months giving it another week or two to try a couple changes would be manageable...hopefully.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Get rid of the multivitamin. When I was taking a multivitamin (Women's One-a-Day) it made me nauseous to the point of throwing up. I switched to taking a few individual vitamins and it hasn't happened since.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LX View Post
    Get rid of the multivitamin. When I was taking a multivitamin (Women's One-a-Day) it made me nauseous to the point of throwing up. I switched to taking a few individual vitamins and it hasn't happened since.
    That's exactly what my wife is taking! What all are you taking now, if you don't mind my asking?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast