Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could high amount of fat grams be hindering progress? page 2

As1459 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KiteKasia View Post
    This is a very interesting thread, as I'm also still trying to work out my macros - basically to find right proportions of fat, carbs and protein intake.
    I'm 167 cm and 57.5kg (5'5" and 127lbs ), so I'm not big but I think my body fat is probably around 25%+ (just a guess, I actually don't know as never measured it) and I would like to loose that fat and tone up (I'm active and exercise but nothing chronic).
    Primal lifestyle is new to me so I'm still in shock of recommended amount of fat consumption and I just started question whether I should take less fat but more carbs and protein.

I try to keep carbs around 85gr or at least below 100 gr, but if I slightly exceed on heavy work out day I'm not worried too much. But my calorie intake is only about 1500 and I'm tracking everything on myfitnesspal just to get used to new way of eating.

There is an excellent article in today's blog about differences in fat metabolism between genders, but unfortunately Mark doesn't conclude whether women diet should be consuming less fat...
    So I'm kinda lost and trying to figure out what is the best approach...
    You might want to check out Cassandra Forsythe as I believe she has done some work that shows women should go with a higher carb diet in the first 2 weeks of their cycle and go higher fat in the second half of their cycle. I saw Cassandra at The Fitness Summit in KC this past May. I'd go into more details but I can't seem to find my notes I took. I know she did mention that a women's hormonal profile is one reason that a women can seem to crave chocolate when their period is about to start. Interesting stuff.

KiteKasia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by As1459 View Post
    You might want to check out Cassandra Forsythe as I believe she has done some work that shows women should go with a higher carb diet in the first 2 weeks of their cycle and go higher fat in the second half of their cycle. I saw Cassandra at The Fitness Summit in KC this past May. I'd go into more details but I can't seem to find my notes I took. I know she did mention that a women's hormonal profile is one reason that a women can seem to crave chocolate when their period is about to start. Interesting stuff.
    Thanks for that!
    I will definitely google her to find out more.

little12 is offline Member
    I'm about the same height and weight as you. If your body is like mine (which, who knows right?!?!), then you'll need to cut that fat way back. Probably calories also if previous posters were right-that its about 2200 cal.

What got the scale moving a little for me finally was adjust my percentages to focus more on protein. I def wasn't getting enough. Right now, i'm at about 40% protein-30% carbs-30% fat. My calories are about 1200 a day. Once I start getting a little more serious on my high intensity stuff, I'll adjust it up.

Everyone is different. For me, high fat wasn't working...at all. But for some it does!

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I am 5'9" 25 yo female lifting 3-5x a week. I eat around 1800-2700 based on what my day is like. I think you are overeating as well. Your macros look good to me. I had to cut nuts out and also pretty much all carbs to see any result after 22% bf. Also try less plant fat and more animal fat and see how you do. I stall when I eat too much avocados and/or coconut cream but I can eat a ton of kerrygold or fatty meats or yolks and be leaner after a week.

If it matters I eat all protein/fat with minimal, accessory carbs (fermented veggies or coleslaw at a BBQ joint out) and it works for me.

Journal: www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87464.html
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 08-23-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

BearDrivesCar is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you everyone for your input. It is highly appreciated. I've always struggled with losing body fat. Weight doesn't matter to me as much as being lean and strong. I think it's a combination of high fat content and trouble sleeping because of stress. I am going to tweak both of these and see how my body reacts over the next couple of weeks. Thanks so much again for your input. It was very helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12